Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/7/2001 10:02:59 PM EDT
A couple of weeks ago, my buddy dan(aka bushmasterdan) & I were out shooting at the range, and decided to see what the hype was about in using the "Homeboy Technique" of pistol shooting.

For those of you who do not know what that particular technique involves, it is, erase everything you currently know about handgun accuracy, from the "normal" style of aim, rotate the pistol 90 degrees to the left, shout some gansta slogans, and attempt to hit your target.

Tests were conducted at approximately 20 yards, and after the initial go around from the both of us, and our dissapointing results, we decided to "spot" for one another, with the spotter standing behind the shooter calling the shots, i.e. "high left" and so on.

After conducting these tests we have concluded that if you are confronted by an assailant using the "homeboy technique", be absolutely fearless, as we, 2 shooters, who are pretty good pistol shots & competitors ( IPSC, bowling pin & general target) averaged about 1 hit out of 7 on a standard IPSC target, with the other spotting.

A CCW should be able to draw and hit an assailant using the above technique using an approved technique, i.e. (weaver, Q, etc), as long as you can concentrate while rounds pass no closer than 15-20 feet around you.   :-)

Note, the above non-scientific tests were conducted for the sole amusement of the author and his friend, and are not intended to save your life in the ghetto, or anywhere else you should happen to be.

Ed

Link Posted: 6/7/2001 10:11:26 PM EDT
[#1]
As I believe I mentioned here before, there is ONE instance where it is proper to rotate your firearm onto its side.

When shooting from a side dooe on a helicopter, you rotate your weapon onto its right side, so thatall brass is ejected straight down (or nearly so) and is therefore forced away from the rotor and any possibility of fouling the rotor blades.

NO OTHER TIME.

As you stated, "homeboys" can rarely hit what they are shooting at.  Working as an instructor, I can attest to this.  Of course, I practised it (just for kicks, mind you) and it is possible to bring your hit rate up to 50-60% if you are doing really well and stick to practising it...

Short form - don't bother.  The only reason I wasted THAT much time on it was to show that it COULD be done, and to compare it with the more "proper" means of shooting.  Of course, if your were (hypothetically) knocked to the ground, you will want to bring your sidearm into play any way possible. but there is no point in wasting the effort if you have a choice....

FFZ
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 10:22:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep, way high and way left sounds correct if you're a right handed "gang banger."

Went out and used to shoot for fun like this with my old 22 Ruger MkII, funny as hell.

How come nobody ever uses revolvers like this and they always are shown using pistols only?

Link Posted: 6/7/2001 10:25:44 PM EDT
[#3]
The gangsta style of shooting was invented by Al Gore in an humane effort to help curb handgun deaths.
The word is, he will be nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize.[;D]  
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 10:33:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Al Gore has my vote for the Nobel Peace Prize.  His humane effort to promote safer street crimes will make my return fire a bit easier.
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 10:34:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I've always refered to it as the [b]OTR[/b] method, since it's pretty handy when you want to shoot [b]O[/b]ver [b]T[/b]he [b]R[/b]egister.
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 10:49:42 PM EDT
[#6]
LMFAO!!!!!!!  I can't believe you actually shared this with the group [:D]  How in the hell am I ever going to live it down...  First I show them what NOT to do with a pair of testicles and a mountain bike, and now THIS!!!!!  

Theres a couple of things that he's not telling you.  Our statistical hit ratio was only that high because of him.  I think I managed to hit IPSC Bob once out of about 25 rounds.

Another thing...  Don't teach Ed how to point shoot... Its hard on your ego [;D]

Also, there was much conversation and giggling on the "Homeboy Glock Conversion" that got posted here quite some time back...

Ed...  I'm going to drop you on your head tonight [x]  
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 11:05:22 PM EDT
[#7]
You guys forgot to jerk the shooting hand with the pistol forward as you pull the trigger to give it a more mean looking effect when it goes off.
[:D]
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 11:48:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 5:58:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By FreeFire Zone:
As I believe I mentioned here before, there is ONE instance where it is proper to rotate your firearm onto its side.

When shooting from a side dooe on a helicopter, you rotate your weapon onto its right side, so thatall brass is ejected straight down (or nearly so) and is therefore forced away from the rotor and any possibility of fouling the rotor blades.

NO OTHER TIME.

FFZ
View Quote

Actually, when firing a pistol weak hand, (or any time your dominant eye is opposite your firing hand),  tilting the pistol sights towards the dominant eye will not significantly affect the POI at typical self defense distances.

Of course this technique only requires a tilt of 30-45 degrees not the 90 degrees mandated by the "OTR" technique. ;-)
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 7:14:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
For those of you who do not know what that particular technique involves, it is, erase everything you currently know about handgun accuracy, from the "normal" style of aim, rotate the pistol 90 degrees to the left, shout some gansta slogans, and attempt to hit your target.
View Quote

AND....  The hand/pistol MUST be raised above your head, definately above your line of sight.

Of course, someone already mentioned the "punching", that is an absolute requirement.

On a serious note, someone else posted about shooting from the door of a Helo, and ensuring that your ejected round goes down, rather than up into the rotors...  Wonder how they hold the Beretta M9's  :D

There are instances where shooting in a less perpendicular position are warranted...  "Pieing out" at a very low position, would be one.  Being prone, and rolling to ones side to work around a barrier or cover might be another.  For me, in both circumstances, I would still try to use a supported grip.

Just be aware, the trajectory of the bullet downrange is still going to drop down, gravity still works the same way.  Inside of 7 yards, it can still be an effective method of "Point" shooting, sighting down the side of the slide.

For "Point Shooting", I still play with, and kinda prefer the "Vermont Method" where your index finger rides down the side, and is used for "pointing" and reference, and the trigger is managed with the middle finger.  On a short gripped gun like a Kahr MK, or even a Sub-Compact GLOCK, it can be a useful and accurate method.

As for wheel guns, that's something I have often wondered as well, but suppose not many "Bangers" use them very much.
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 7:19:12 AM EDT
[#11]
If you are lucky enough to have a machine pistol (Stechkin, Glock 18, Astra 902, Schnell Broom), it is very effective as you can sweep the target area rather than fire off into the sky.

Somehow, I don't believe that tactics had anything to do with the adoptation of this style by G's.
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 7:29:43 AM EDT
[#12]
LOL. FYI. There are some law enforcement acadamies teaching a form of the homeboy tecniques. They call it the C.A.R. system, which stands for Center Axis Relock. The system comes from England I believe. The instructors teach putting 4 rounds in every target, even while engaging mutiple targets! Imagine my consternation at putting 4 rounds on four targets with a 7 shot Govt. model. The revolver shooters had it even worse.
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 7:30:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 8:06:08 AM EDT
[#14]
(I'm gonna get flamed....)Shooting a pistol using the "gangsta" style of shooting is no less accurate that shooting a pistol from the hip.
If you can "point and shoot" from a Weaver stance then all it takes is a little practice to do the same from a "gangsta" style.
I took my first defensive handgun lessons from a guy who used to hold his pistol upsidedown and still hit the bull at 15 yards.
He could also (using a 22) sit backwards and shoot at a target using a hand held mirror.

Link Posted: 6/8/2001 8:25:08 AM EDT
[#15]
When one uses the "gangsta style" one must remember to utter in almost unintelligeble english (accented to your taste) any combination of the following words/sounds

Yo
Boyeeeeeeeee
Supp
In da house (building, appartment ect.)
Gee
Gee money (or foreign currency)
Gee dog (cat, bear, frog ect.)
Hammer time
Ice tray (cube, box, maker ect.)
Big ... (anything, and I do mean anything)
Feel free to insert profanity in every third or fourth space

Example: Yo Gee sloth beeoch (say it as it appears) git it up in dat boyeeeeeee

this method is extremely effective and should be practiced at home, work and in your car durring your morning and afternoon commute. One should also try to integrate such colorful speech into ones personal and professional life.

[bounce]
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 8:49:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 9:26:19 AM EDT
[#17]
-A new study was reported today regarding the controversy over which style of handgun techiques will "win-out" in Southern California. An extensive study of the "OTR" method is currently being wrapped-up and will soon be compared to its rival "TDT" (The Desperado Technique). This method of shooting on the run with one weapon firing forward and one firing perpindicular to the direction of travel from behind the back is rapidly gaining popularity in East Los Angeles and many other locations. More at 11:00.

Link Posted: 6/8/2001 11:29:25 AM EDT
[#18]
the best is when Gangstas shoot teh kinds throw the gun forward like their pounding at a door, and as their arm is fully extended teh fire and repeat the movment. i bet thats a really accurate meathod
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 1:06:48 PM EDT
[#19]
I tried to use the homeboy style at the range.  The first few shots hit about 15 feet in front of me.  The second hit just below the target.  For the last few shots I just tried instinctively pointing and hit it 4 of 5 times. That was the best I could do.
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 1:29:07 PM EDT
[#20]
The only "cool" Revolver technique is the Dirty Harry technique where you learn to shoot full power 44 Mag loads, using a large frame S&W, WITH ONE HAND! I tried this one time myself, damn near broke my hand.
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 1:33:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Sorry I forgot one.

How about the John Wayne technique. On horseback, reins in teeth, and a 45 Colt in each hand. MAN NOW THATS COOL. [kill]
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 3:08:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Next trip to the range, I am gonna try to homeboy my AR.  How high will the brass go?
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 3:56:39 PM EDT
[#23]
To much TV.
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 4:21:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 9:29:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
there is ONE instance where it is proper to rotate your firearm onto its side.

View Quote

You [b]are[/b] joking,,, right?
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 10:12:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Early Chow,  You forgot one important phrase of communication.
Do not forget to start a sentence with or just exclaim:  MUDDAFUKSHIIIT on occasion.

Hitman and mattsd,  I thought the purpose of thrusting the gun forward was the increase the velocity of the bullet and make it more deadly.[:D]
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 10:15:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Hey, don't let this get out!  I'd rather have "thugs" think they can't hit a target shooting like that.  You know.... just in case!
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 10:17:47 PM EDT
[#28]
I can't remember which mag I saw it in, but there was an article on the only other time to turn your pistol 90-degrees while shooting... and it had to do with a technique for clearing a jam and continuing to shoot all in one motion.  I think it was either American Handgunner or Guns & Ammo...  pretty cool technique, but it looked like it would take a lot of practice.
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 12:03:37 AM EDT
[#29]
I was at the range in Houston when one of the range guys and I started talking.  Somehow we got on the topic of the gangsters honing their "skills" at the range.  He said he had no problem teaching gangsters how to shoot, he said that prevented more innocent people from getting hurt in drive bys.  I thought it was funny at first, but then it made sense.  If they are going to do it anyways, teach them to do it right and protect the rest of us no involved.
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 1:46:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 9:26:51 PM EDT
[#31]
The latest saga in the homeboy shooting technique was held today at the NVSC.  Elcope and I emptied out a good 350 brass out of his 500 or so loaded rounds.  We both attempted the new and improved homeboy style, as we were unaware that the pistol must be held above the line of sight and shots must be "punched" towards the target to increase the velocity of the loaded round.....  Many times things were said like supp, boyeeeee, geee money geee money, and muddafukshiiiiit...  None of this helped any, we were still unable to implement the "homeboy" technique with any kind of profeciency.  I did however teach Ed the rudimentary fundamentals of "Montana Drive By Shooting."  We were able to hit bowling pins and IPSC targets (never outside the C zone) from a 4x4 '76 Chevy truck window (both driver side and passenger) at 50 yards with consistancy that was scary.  Ed and I were sitting out one of the many small rainshowers that are pretty typical this time of year when Ed jokingly said "Yo geeeee, mebbe we should practice our drivebys..." While holding the pistol in the approved homeboy method.  I told him it was fine by me, as long as he didn't put a bullet hole in my truck.  The homeboy technique at 50 yards from a truck window yielded NO results to speak of.  

The "MTDST" is based on a few observations that I have made in my 24 years of living here.  It is usually quicker (and more sporting) to get to a pistol instead of a rifle on varmints that are running away from you.  So you stop the pick-up truck, grab the pistol and unload a whole mag as fast as you can manage aimed fire at the target.

I won't tell you how two weeks ago we did the same thing with our ARs [:D]

We decided to borrow my dads digital camera and take pics at the range next time we're out [:D]
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 11:30:28 PM EDT
[#32]
ah's sure hopes dat da homeboy method of capping yo'gat be stayin' round fo' a long ass time.  'cuz ah's wants da peace of mind dad comes wit' reckonin' dat da homeys ain't gonna be hittin no movin' target, all ass up an' runnin away!  ah's done well gonna be stickin' wit my good ol' weaver stance.  ah be scorin' 300's all day long, swingin' mah arm up like a damn pump handle, wit' 'dem elbows locked.  sure, dem homeys be droppin' their KFC laughin at my swat-team ass, but ah's gar-un-tee y'all ain't got time fo' no finger-lickin when ah's turnin on yo' tip!  peace to massad ayoob an' all y'all leo's!  props to mah homeys in da house!
Link Posted: 6/11/2001 1:55:10 AM EDT
[#33]
Word!

I be needin to git da 411 on wen da home boyz AR-15 sihtz be comin out fo me.  Maybe ah's try to go to da "40's an 9's" sto to git em.  ah's thinks da fo-dees an nines sto iz da bomb.  Any whack-ass fool be gettin in my shize or steepin to my bitch, I jus go to dis sto an dey hook me up wit a fo-dee ounze an a fitty round box of nines, an a sack of endo, too.  Ah's like nines cuz my arm can't be throwin dem bullets real far wit a fo-dee-fiv.  Dat why iz be gattin' wit my tec-9.  Som of da homies down in flo-da be usin da "semi-know" techniq.  Dey be doin dey gat like dat ole injun in da colleg be doin his hand.  It be makin da bullets go up in doze udda chumps' ass mo bedda.  It be lookin lik som kinda up an down pimp slap, but wit a gat. Iz be worrid bout da fo-dees an nines sto cuz dey be talkin about bein "Da Fo-dees Sto." Dayz aint gonna have no mo nines, jus be havin fo-dees and fo-dee gats.  

I be so glad dat big crazy-ass ho Janet Reno be gon out of da capitall, but she be talkin junk about runnin fo govner of flo-da.  I sez Hell no bee-otch!

I be readin mo in da ta-tics sex-shon of AR-15 dot com to be learnin mo bout tar-git id-enima-cay-shon. Dat means iz gots to be lookin wat color bandanas dose brothas on dee co-na be wearin

Ah's likes all da homies wen dey be chillin out and be smokin dat endo up in dis hiZ-ouse.  An Massad Ayoob an all da LEO brothas gets some crazy-ass props.

Peace out,

Cow-tippin Hoopti Rider (AKA: Ugly ho slappa)  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top