BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/7/2001 4:30:29 PM EDT
The cigarette award, and the rampage shooting:

[url]http://cnnfn.cnn.com/2001/06/06/news/philip_morris/[/url]

Philip Morris to pay $3B

Los Angeles jury orders tobacco giant to pay $3 billion to a lifelong smoker

June 6, 2001: 7:49 p.m. ET

NEW YORK (CNNfn) - A jury in Los Angeles on Wednesday ordered Philip Morris Cos. Inc. to pay more than $3 billion – the largest individual award ever in a tobacco case - to a 56-year-old man with cancer who claimed the tobacco giant did not warn him of the health risks of smoking.

The verdict, was reached on Tuesday after nine days of deliberations by a Los Angeles Superior Court jury and read out in court on Wednesday. The damage award included $3 billion in punitive damages and almost $6 million in compensatory damages.

Philip Morris will appeal the verdict.

Richard Boeken, who suffers from brain and lung cancer, sought $12.37 million in compensatory damages and between $100 million and $10 billion in punitive and exemplary damages from Philip Morris. He accused the cigarette maker of fraud, conspiracy and negligence.

Lawyers for Boeken, a securities and oil broker, claimed at the trial that he began smoking Marlboro cigarettes at age 13 and did not become aware of the health warnings until the mid-1990s.

Bill Ohlemeyer, associate general counsel for Philip Morris, said for the jury to reach a verdict like this on the evidence they heard is outrageous.

"It strains credibility to suggest that he wasn't aware of the risks [of smoking]," Ohlemeyer said.

Boeken's lawyers argued that his client was a victim of a decades-long tobacco industry campaign to promote smoking, and Philip Morris has concealed the serious dangers of smoking.

Ohlemeyer claimed that Boeken has ignored health warnings about the dangers of cigarettes and chose to smoke despite the risk.  

The lawsuit is the first smoking and health related lawsuit to reach trial in Los Angeles. It was the second blow to cigarette makers in a week. On Monday, a New York City jury ordered major tobacco companies to pay $17.8 million to cover the health costs of ailing smokers.

*** of course they fail to mention the guy is also an alchoholic and a heroin junkie
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 4:31:32 PM EDT
[#1]
cont.

[url]http://www.cnn.com/2001/LAW/06/07/paxil.lawsuit.ap/index.html[/url]

Shooter's family awarded $8 million in drug suit
June 7, 2001 Posted: 12:58 PM EDT (1658 GMT)

CHEYENNE, Wyoming (AP) -- An $8 million jury verdict against the maker of the antidepressant Paxil vindicates a "loving and caring" man who went on a deadly rampage, his son-in-law said Thursday.

Tim Tobin, whose wife and baby daughter were among the victims, told NBC's "Today" show that he felt obligated to pursue the federal lawsuit in memory of Donald Schell. Schell, 60, also killed his 55-year-old wife, Rita, before killing himself on February 13, 1998.

"He was a real loving and caring man, and we were a real close family, and I didn't want to see it left like it had been left," Tobin said.

FindLaw Consumer Center  Select a topic Bankruptcy Discrimination Divorce Estate Planning Landlord-Tenant Personal Injury Taxes  
He and other relatives blame the rampage on two Paxil tablets they say he took to treat depression.

On Wednesday, a federal jury agreed, finding SmithKline Beecham 80 percent liable for wrongful death and awarding Tobin $5 million for the deaths of his wife, Deborah, 31, and daughter, Alyssa, 9 months.

Michael Schell, the Schells' adult son, was awarded $1.5 million, and $500,000 each will go to Rita Schell's mother and two sisters.

The jury found the popular anti-depressant could cause someone to commit suicide or homicide and contributed to Schell's rampage.

An appeal is expected by the company, now GlaxoSmithKline PLC, which pointed to Schell's years of mental illness.

"This case was about depression, not about Paxil," company attorney Charles Preuss said. "Paxil is a very effective medication in helping depression, and our only regret is that Mr. Schell did not have Paxil for a longer period of time."

Senior Vice President David Wheadon acknowledged on "Today" that some patients have acted violently after taking Paxil but said no scientific data has shown Paxil to be the cause.

Link Posted: 6/7/2001 4:34:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 4:36:11 PM EDT
[#3]
It's the same old "I am not responsible for my own stupid actions" mentality.  What is really bad is that it is not the judges or the lawyers, it is voting citizens who sit on these juries and make these absolutely assinine decisions.
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 4:37:57 PM EDT
[#4]
My cousin from Kali came to Texas for the last Dallas area shoot, (TBRS 3 1/2).  In the mail arrived a Jury Duty summons.  "Going to throw it in the trash?"  he asked.  

When I told him that the Marshal would show up at your house if you ditched suprised him.  He was also suprised to find that you can't get out of Jury duty in Texas unless you have kids to care for, "My business will go to hell," doesn't fly.

We both agreed that in a state (PRK) where only the 12 people not smart enough to get out of it act as Jury, you are in big trouble.
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 4:38:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Why work hard when all you only need is one good suit against a company for anything and everything.
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 4:39:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By LARRY G:
It's the same old "I am not responsible for my own stupid actions" mentality.  What is really bad is that it is not the judges or the lawyers, it is voting citizens who sit on these juries and make these absolutely assinine decisions.
View Quote

Voting citizens?  In Kali?  Try the unemployed masses...
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 4:42:40 PM EDT
[#7]
I`m serious about this, i`m starting a list of names of those "good" lawyers.........[smoke]........(may need one soon at work!)
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 4:44:19 PM EDT
[#8]
The executive who got 8 billion dollars did not "become aware of the health effects of cigarettes until the mid 90's".
Excuse me, he should get nothing for criminal stupidity.

Don't work, don't buy Lotto tickets, the key to success in life is good lawyers and stupid juries.
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 4:55:40 PM EDT
[#9]
I heard that about the cigarette thing this morning, I nearly choked to death when I heard it was a 3billion dollar judgement.   Hopefully it will goto appeal, no way in hell 3billion is warranted much less 3 million.

If the monies are actually awarded, I wonder how much goes to the lawyers of the plaintif?

Can probably thank those "thetruth.com" morons for all the advertising they've been doing to promote hate for cigarette companies.   Effect the attitudes of all those potential jury members before these trials hit so bias will be unavoidable.
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 4:57:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Outrageous!! When are the citizens of this country going to wake up and grow up and start taking responsibility for their own actions?
Karen Silkwood, well maybe, but this idiot knew all along that smoking wasnt going to make him an olympic athlete.
Sorry, the whole thing just disgusts me.
Best wishes to all!!
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 5:00:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The executive who got 8 billion dollars did not "become aware of the health effects of cigarettes until the mid 90's".
Excuse me, he should get nothing for criminal stupidity.

Don't work, don't buy Lotto tickets, the key to success in life is good lawyers and stupid juries.
View Quote
                                             IF you do work and are not afraid to take responsibility, YOU GET THE CRRAAPPP!...not like the SLUGS that screw up or screw off CONSTANTLY, and the "SYSTEM"  supports them!!!!it`s EVERY...FU***NG..DAY.......[pyro]
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 5:01:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Me personally, I'm going to up my habit...

This is my one way ticket to fortune, who cares if I don't have too long to enjoy it.

Wonder if Sarah Brady is getting any ideas right now???
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top