Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/7/2001 8:18:04 AM EDT
I'm getting info together for a story on accessories that would be popular with those who use their ATVs like "typical" outdoorsmen, i.e. hunters, fishermen, campers, explorers.

Since I know a lot of y'all use ATVs for such things (I'm mostly a dirt bike guy and most of my ATV experience has been in the dunes and sporty-type riding), I'd like to get your feedback. What sort of accessories do you outfit your ATV with and why? Thanks in advance for your help! [thinking]
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 8:28:26 AM EDT
[#1]
I use mine with a homemade brush mower to keep my hunting lanes mowed down.  Also have a cart to pull behind it when doing yard work.  The best use of all, is to find a huge mudhole and go for it. [:D]
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 8:28:26 AM EDT
[#2]
I use mine mostly during duck season. Some things that are helpful then are the extended drop-racks and those insulated things that go over the handgrips (kind of like a mitten attached to the handlebars). Also an auxillary spotlight and some way to carry a gun. Obviously, a ball for pulling a trailer is helpful. A winch would be damn nice to have.
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 9:05:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Mine is a Polaris 500 Mag 4x4 w/ winch and some K&N goodies on it.

I use it for trail riding, exploring, scouting hunting places and for playing .

It has been put to many hard work chores on the farm such as dragging timber and cross-ties but I mainly use it for play/pleasure.
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 9:38:43 AM EDT
[#4]
handlebar gun racks are cool

you can get a snow plow attachment

you can even disc your garden w/an attachment

you can seed and drag your yard w/an attachment

the rear rack(s) are extremely helpful

the handgrip mitten is an incredible benefit in the winter (as previously stated)

the list goes on and on...
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 3:33:53 PM EDT
[#5]
BTT

Okay, good stuff to know. Keep it coming! Anyone else have input, including specific brands and models of accessories? [?]
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 3:43:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Extra racks on front and rear would help. Rifle rack. I carry spare gas, MRE and tools and proper clothing while out looking for tracks.
My usual backpack too.
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 3:45:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I have always wanted a winch on mine but a come a long works fine. Have a spotlight on a cord to be able to work on the ATV during darkness if needed.
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 3:59:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Just for fun, I have a honda 400ex and several older honda 3 wheelers, I just love my 3 wheelers!!! 4 wheels are ok, but I grew up on 3's, deserts,washes and dunes oh my!!
[x]
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 7:05:04 PM EDT
[#9]
If you are too cheap too buy a winch like me.  You can always get a lightweight come-along, like me.
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 8:02:44 PM EDT
[#10]
I've used my ATV for:

plowing snow
pulling trailers with boats on them
pulling trailers full of rocks
trail riding
pulling timber

The neatest thing I used it for was to help cut down a tree.  I had a tree I wanted to cut down because it was leaning towards the house.  I tied a rope to the top of the tee, then to the ATV and pulled the tree away from the house as my brother ran the chainsaw,  Worked out so great, we did it again with another tree!

For accessories I have a 2000lb winch (not wench!), racks, bags, and 2 gun racks :)

Gwigg, I'd like to hear about your mower, do you have a pick?

Link Posted: 6/7/2001 8:12:51 PM EDT
[#11]
The two I have have milk crates to hold tools, trailer hitch for a rubbermaid trailer, two side mounted gun boots, and bungie cords.

I use mine for fencing, tree dragging, moving stuff and fun.

Accesories I would like to have, hand covers, thumb rest and a MG mount.
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 8:31:41 PM EDT
[#12]
I saw a handlebar mounted holster for one.Was prety cool
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 8:48:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The neatest thing I used it for was to help cut down a tree.  I had a tree I wanted to cut down because it was leaning towards the house.  I tied a rope to the top of the tee, then to the ATV and pulled the tree away from the house as my brother ran the chainsaw,  Worked out so great, we did it again with another tree!

View Quote

This could get real exciting if the rope isn't long enough.......

[red]PRK
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 6:11:53 AM EDT
[#14]
For those of you with rifle racks/scabbards, are those one-size-fits-most items acceptable or do you get a model-specific one for your particular rifle? [?]
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 6:19:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
(I'm mostly a dirt bike guy and most of my ATV experience has been in the dunes and sporty-type riding]
View Quote

I used to race a Honda Fourtrax 250R. It was a screamer.

I look at the utility quads the same way teh dirt bikers look at ATV'ers. (i.e. NOT kindly  [:D]  )

can't help ya with accessories for your "sofa."

Good luck.

Link Posted: 6/8/2001 6:22:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

This could get real exciting if the rope isn't long enough.......

[red]PRK
View Quote

...OR if the tree falls the wrong way  [}:D]
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 6:24:42 AM EDT
[#17]
I've got a green Yahama Bear Tracker.It's a 250cc,and it's got good looks,dual beams,and two nice front/rear utility racks,where I put my gun case and tents,bags and other stuff.It's a good vehicle.I use it for exploring/hiking.
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 6:30:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Tread Lightly!
Pack out what you pack in.  Sometimes more!
Make sure you are in a legal wheeling area.  ie if it is someones property, ask permission first.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top