Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/6/2001 8:40:36 PM EDT
Hello,
  I just purchased my first and hopefully last gunsafe.. My question is.. Will it hurt the safe if I keep it in a garage that is not heated in the winter? I have some friends coming over tomorrow morning to help me move it into the garage or the basement.. Just looking for some opinions..
  Thanks,
    Chris
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 8:45:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I wouldnt think there would be a problem with that as long as there is not alot of moisture.
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 8:47:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 8:50:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm in ND so we don't get to much humidity in the summer,But it gets cold as hell in the winter. I also got one of the humidity rods for the inside of the safe. Would the cold affect the guns inside? I guess the humidity rod gets warm to increase temp inside so humidity stays low.. can anyone comply??

thanks,
   Chris
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 8:54:53 PM EDT
[#4]
thebeekeeper,
 you brought up a good point.. I've been looking around for a house to buy, I figured it would be a bi@$ to get back up. That's why i'm a little hesitant.. Ohh well, I guess I will move it to the basement..

Thanks,
    Chris
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 9:17:17 PM EDT
[#5]
One solution would be to drill a small hole in it and install a low wattage light that you can leave on all the time. The heat it generates will be enough to keep the air dry in the safe. A simple solution unless your safe is fire proof. Then not really practicle.
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 9:23:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Get some professional movers to take it to the basement for a nominal fee.
It's less expensive than dropping it on you or your buddies, or almost as bad---breaking the safe before you get to use it and a helluva lot cheaper than a hospital bill or time off work...
Just an idea.
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 9:26:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Just bought a new Liberty(Remington) safe and got the small humidifier rod to go with it as I have it placed in a downstairs finished basement. I thought of leaving it in the downstairs garage but the temp changes and security issues convinced me to make room for it inside the heated/ac house. Good Luck!!
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 4:47:18 AM EDT
[#8]
I have heard, (I do not know if it is true,)  that over time a Golden Rod will dry out wooden stocks to the point they will check. I chose to use a reuable desiccant until I contact The Golden Rod company about what I have heard. When the desiccant turns pink, I am supposed to put it in the oven until it gets blue again. Maybe wood stocks only check if to big of a Golden Rod is used for a specific size safe.
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 6:15:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Buy a dessecant (de-humidifier rod) and also a bathroom light.  Hook up the light in such a way that it stays on all the time.  You should have at least a 15 watt bulb and that will provide enough heat to keep everything from rusting.  There may be a hole in the top of your safe.  Use that hole to run your 110 wire through and then simply plug in the wire to a wall outlet.  You will have to run the wire through the hole first and then hook up the connections.  Make sure to unplug everything before you do any electrical work.
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 7:49:52 AM EDT
[#10]
I work on SCR's and 1000 HP DC Motor Control equipment, etc. In our Transfer Panels we use low wattage heating elements that have guards around them and are controlled by thermostats so that heat does build up. These cabinets are in the open and on Drilling Rigs offshore. The elements are expensive but of industrial quality. They are also cheaper than an AR15 or Safe. Wood drying is always a possibility, even air conditioning removes moisture out of the air (and wood).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top