Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/6/2001 3:17:30 PM EDT
i havent seen a magazine on the shelves in months and i love that magazine...

what the h-e- doubble hokeystick happened to them?? [?]
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 3:20:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe they all suffocated from holding their breath while waiting for the end of the world?
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 3:22:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Name changed to Self Reliance Journal, rumor has it that theyare going out of business.  Any solid details available?
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 3:27:21 PM EDT
[#3]
They are completely out of business.  Some other self-reliant type mag pick up the remainder of the subscription for those that had one but I can't remember what mag it was.  There is an informative thread on the frugal squirrel's board detailing the whole ordeal.
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 4:45:15 PM EDT
[#4]
So then, American Survival Guide's advice must not have been very good - if THEY didn't survive...    [:D]

Sorry - couldn't resist. I used to read ASG and liked it, but really there is more information on the internet.
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 4:53:07 PM EDT
[#5]
They're switching their focus from paranoid right-wing men to brain-dead suburban mothers.  Changing the name of the magazine, too.
[url]http://www.rosiemagazine.com/index.html[/url]
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 5:13:15 PM EDT
[#6]
When the world didnt end on 2000 they kind of lost their luster to most of the readers.  Too bad, I knew the editor, real nice guy.
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 5:19:06 PM EDT
[#7]
They recylced their articles too often.[puke]
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 12:40:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Asg was a great mag, very informative articles on a wide variety of topics. Never really saw it as a mag for end of worlder types. They covered all the extremes fom camping to fallout shelters and everything in between. Then they changed names and started getting way to PC for me( I remember an article on a mountainous trail excersion where everybody had to pack their own body wastes out, that's a bit enviro impact nazi for me). I was gonna let my subscription run out, just was'nt fun to read anymore, used to look forward to it arriving in the mail. Now I know what happened to those last few issues. You think they would have sent out some kind of notice to their subscribers.
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 2:04:30 AM EDT
[#9]
The former editor, Jim Benson, is over on Frugal's board trying to drum up interest for a survivalist oriented e-zine that he is planning to start.  
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 6:29:19 AM EDT
[#10]
They folded and sent me back my renewel check.
They went too yuppie when they did the name change.
It was good while it lasted.
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 6:47:05 AM EDT
[#11]
American Suvival Guide/Self-Reliant Magazine went belly up after the May 2001 issue.  They substituted Guns Magazine for the balance of the subscription.  Their page count drop 10% down to appoximately 80 pages including ads.  Toward the end, they just had a lot of product reviews, nothing very substantial.
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 6:53:12 AM EDT
[#12]
I subscribed to them for several years, but let it lapse.  Their Y2K stand probably turned off some people when nothing really happened.  Then they said that they knew it would be like that all along.  Sure they did....  Kind of lost credibility.  I just got bored with it a long time before my subscription expired.    
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 7:51:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Anyone have a URL for Frugal Squirrel?  (Who thinks up these name!?)  I tried www.frugalsquirrel.com and that kicked back "cannot find server".  

Thanks.

Frances
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 8:17:42 AM EDT
[#14]
URL is    http://www.netside.com/~lcoble/

hth
Hanko
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 8:20:45 AM EDT
[#15]
[url]http://www.netside.com/~lcoble/[/url]
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 8:22:58 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm a survior, I'm not gonna give,I'm not gonna
sell out I'm going work harder..dadada.. da......

Welcome to my nightmares.

You people made me rember that stupid song
by a stupid band.Now we all might as well
have it stuck in our heads for the rest of the day.

Oh,yea...Before Y2K ASG could not usually be found in
stock at any magazine rack.

Link Posted: 6/7/2001 8:27:33 AM EDT
[#17]
I believe that ASG subscription list is now involved with Backwoods Home Magazine. This is a very good mag if you are into a greater degree of self-reliance. Very progun, pro-constitution. The main people are definitely from a Libertarian slant, and that is a good thing in my book. I believe they have a web site. Not sure if this will work, [url]www.backwoodshome.com[/url]. We'll see. If it does work, check out a series of articles about the coming dictatorship in America.
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 8:28:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Thanks guys.

Frances
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 8:35:39 AM EDT
[#19]
The first issue I read was called Shooter's Guide. Yup I have an original Tappan's Survival Guns.  They were good they covered military and other guns, they became ASG. I can see them getting to PC.  I was starting to lose interest in it. The survivalist movement is losing steam. No more end of the world.
They needed to cover day to day stuff. Society will not explode it will just get stupid.
And I also had my suscription sitched to Guns and Backwoods
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 8:35:43 AM EDT
[#20]
ASG/SRJ went under because the publisher was bought out about 3 years ago by some anti-gun foreign company and they made the magazine reflect their views. That is why Peter Alan Kasler's political articles and Jim Benson's editorials disappeared. Then the gun pics on the cover were gone, followed by the eventual absence of all gun reviews. ASG began to resemble an outdoor living for yuppies publication after that. They tried in vain to bring back readers by renaming the magazine Self Reliance Journal last october and brought on Jan "I don't like assault weapons" Libourel to write gun related material. It was too little too late and the last issue was last month.

In other words the anti-gun weenies won again.
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 8:44:38 AM EDT
[#21]
damn, the info war starts.
they are trying to keep us uninformed..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top