Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/6/2001 12:06:15 PM EDT
I just bought a mini-14 (my first rifle) and don't know if it's alright to keep a 5 round mag loaded incase somebody breaks into my house.

Will keeping rounds in a mazine ruin the spring?  

Thanks...
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 12:09:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes I know this is a totally lame ass question.  I'd appreciate it if somebody could inform me on magazines though and how long they can hold ammo and still function correctly...
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 12:15:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I've heard of people having a loaded 20rd M16/AR mag for over 20 years, then fired all the rounds off just fine.

There will be no problem at all with you keeping a 5 rounder loaded and ready. Remember, what wears out the springs is loading and unloading them. I think I remember Troy saying most mags are good for over 200 cycles.

BTW- Just my opinion, a mini-14 wouldnt be my first choice as my primary home defense weapon, but if it is your only firearm, use soft points, hollow points or even varmint rounds to reduce over-penetrating.

Edited because I'm an idiot.
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 12:15:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I posted a similar question a few weeks ago, but it was about ar15 mags.  I came to find out that it was the repeated loading and unloading that wears a mag spring out.  As long as you have a good quality mag, you should be able to keep it loaded almost indefinitely with no harm to the mag itself.

13th Monkey
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 12:19:23 PM EDT
[#4]
AFAIK keeping a couple rounds in the mag is not going to kill it.

Some ex servicemen here have mentioned that their armories kept 30 round USGI mags loaded for years at a time.

I would download it a little, maybe for a 5 round mag put 3 in it, that should not cause spring problems.

I keep USGI 30 rounders in my ar with 20 rounds, and 4 shotshells in my 5+1 Mossberg 590A1.
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 12:19:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the information guys.

I only have .55 gr bullets that are used for plinking (steel?).  Anyways I'll pick up some hollowpoints too.

I need to start reading up on guns now that I own one. =]
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 12:20:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Kalifornia Kid:
I just bought a mini-14 (my first rifle) and don't know if it's alright to keep a 5 round mag loaded incase somebody breaks into my house.

Will keeping rounds in a mazine ruin the spring?  

Thanks...
View Quote

If you plan to use your mini-14 for defense you have no choice but to keep the mag loaded. YOU WILL NOT HAVE TIME TO LOAD UP IN AN EMERGENCY.

You also must periodically test fire your weapon to ensure it still functions.

Mag springs are easily and cheaply replaced if they become weak. Some people will load the mag minus one round to try to keep some tension off the spring.
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 12:26:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the information guys.

I only have .55 gr bullets that are used for plinking (steel?).  Anyways I'll pick up some hollowpoints too.

I need to start reading up on guns now that I own one. =]
View Quote

Invest in a 12 gauge or handgun if you can afford to. They are better (IMHO) for home defense.
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 12:33:45 PM EDT
[#8]
View Quote

You're better off keeping a 20 or 30 round mag in it.
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 2:34:38 PM EDT
[#9]
It is not going to kill the springs.  If I was you, I would get couple mags and just rotate the mags in use.  That should solve your problem.
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 2:52:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 3:09:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Springs will compress a bit over time, just like the 1"+ thick suspension springs on your car. Look at a set of new springs compared to old ones. They are usually a few inches shorter after years of weight bearing down on them. Metal Fatigue. If you keep your mags at 3/4 capacity, the overall fatigue shouldn't be that bad if noticeable at all. However, if the mags are made of plastic, I wouldn't keep them loaded as plastic tends to swell after long periods of time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top