Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/4/2001 3:44:24 PM EDT
No, really! I was with a couple buddies cruising a huge mall last Friday and saw a store had a bunch of swords and knives, which piqued our interest so we went in.

As we went farther back in the store, we found some crossbows. Then all the way at the back, they had several hunting rifles and shotguns, plus at least a dozen pistols as well as boxes of ammo for sale. (A box of 175-grain PMP .308 hunting ammo was around $12 US.)

It was a far cry from what I'm used to seeing at a mall in, say, Los Angeles.

Of course, it wasn't in California either. It was in Johannesburg, South Africa. [;)]
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 4:05:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 5:43:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Galyans started in Indianapolis.
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 6:01:57 PM EDT
[#3]
In South Africa there is a waiting period of only 5 months or so, while the paperwork to get the license for the gun, for each gun, is being passed around amongst the bureaucrats, who on occasion, give out a license.

Oshman's.  In the mall.  In America.
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 6:11:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Galyan's at the Mall of Georgia has it all!
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 6:31:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Here in Great Falls MT we have an ass kicking gun shop in the mall. "Sheels", has more guns than most gun shops I've seen put together.
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 6:33:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, their gun control really works in South Africa, doesn't it.
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 6:33:17 PM EDT
[#7]
No gun shops in the mall?

Easy . . . stop hanging out there. Malls suck anyway.
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 10:43:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Big 5 Sporting Goods...In a few malls in Kalifornication, Oregon, and Washington.
It was cool to walk out of Big 5 with a Mosian-Nagant out of the box into the mall.
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 11:05:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Yup, Galyan's in Colorado by my house.

Also got one of the cheezy knife/sword stores with cheapo night vision, knock-off ASP batons, airsofts and some decent knives.

I went in there once looking for a new folder, and this goth looking girl (thought it was a man at first) is working and twirling a sword around.  I took one look at the knife prices, and left fast.  Don't know how those places stay open, rent must be a fortune!
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 6:35:41 AM EDT
[#10]
I seem to recall a mall in CT with a sporting goods store that carried some shotguns and muzzleloaders...

I watched 'Dawn of the Dead' over the weekend, and that mall had one sweet gun shop!
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 6:41:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Yeah after mid-night the mice come out and the mall ninja's raid the gun stores for there battery pack for their in the rear .308 force fields.
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 6:44:28 AM EDT
[#12]
DAWN OF THE DEAD ROCKS!!
I love that movie.Too bad the AR-15 are really fake looking,and Peter loads the bottom of the MAG....wtf??
they are obviously movie guns.
The gun shop in the movie was cool,but it had pretty much all old hunting arms,and old singleaction pistols.The two SWAT guys did'nt use their ARs enough.
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 8:36:05 AM EDT
[#13]
They were using Atchisson .22lr AR15 look a likes in Dawn. Day of the Dead used real M16's but wasn't as good as Dawn.

The movie was made in the Monroeville Mall in Pennsylvania, but the gun store (which was going out of business during the time of the filming) was in another location.

I am so damn poor this is the only kinds of stuff I know.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top