Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/3/2001 5:54:20 PM EDT
Just how does one "accidently" kill oneself while "cleaning" thier weapon?  My response has always been that the only way is that the person in question was such moron that he deserved it (I'd like to put it more "politically correct" as not to seem insensitive), but I just can't see it happening.  Only thing I can figure is for some reason nobody wants to call it a suicide.  
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 5:56:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Sometimes people are just careless or stupid. Occasionally, people even make what layman refer to as a "mistake."
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 5:57:04 PM EDT
[#2]
To accidently kill oneself witha firearm is the ultimate in stupidity.  You are right, no one calls it suicide unless the evidence for same is indisputable.
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 5:57:55 PM EDT
[#3]
From what I have seen, this is often used instead Of SUICIDE to comfort the family, collect insurance, etc whenever they can.
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 6:00:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Maybe a spring popped out and it hit them in the eye or they caught it in there mouth and choked on it? Or the guy who was cleaning packing grease out of his weapon with gasoline and went to see how clean the bore was by holding a lighter at one end. LOL
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 6:13:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Ok, worst case senerio, finger on trigger (mistake), gun goes off.  I can see hitting you're arm or leg, but a kill shot to the torso or head?  You would actually have to point the gun there with you're finger on the trigger (this is for handguns, I have no clue how you would do this with a shotgun).
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 6:16:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 6:26:20 PM EDT
[#7]
It used to be common for police finding a member of the department suicided, to get his gun cleaning kit out and arrange it around the table.  Looks better, insurance.

Years ago, there was a famous "locked room" case.  A man was found in his locked house, shot dead, with a disassembled Luger nearby.  They finally figured out that if you leave a Luger loaded, take the barrel and receiver off, and accidently press the exposed sear, BANG.
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 6:33:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Darwinism at it's best.
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 6:35:26 PM EDT
[#9]
I heard about one Darwin canidate who got drunk and was cleaning his guns. He shot himself first with a .25, didn't notice anything until he shot himself with a 9mm.
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 6:40:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Paspecops is right on the money.

Maddock also brings up a good point, and that is the "suicide" ploy to
bolster the position of those who would disarm us.

If you remember several weeks ago, the Surgeon General launched a new
nationwide anti-suicide campaign.  Part of it focuses on firearms,
complete with victim family members reading the scripted old cliche
that "if they didn't have a gun they'd be alive today."  As usual
with arguments against ownership, they consist of 90% inflammatory
emotion and 10% pseudo-science (in other words 100% bullshit).

Tactics such as this and the "accidental" shooting are simply more
weight to use against firearms ownership.  While you should focus on
continuing to drum the big four rules of gun safety into everyones
heads, it is also important to recognize these "stealthy" attacks on
gun ownership and respond accordingly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top