Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/3/2001 3:53:22 PM EDT
NIB pre ban colt 1993 1:7 hbar shooting m193 55 gr. at 100 yards iron sights got 2 on the paper out of 100 or so. what the %#%# is up with that. This is my first AR could be the shooter[BD]. Is this common for this gun to be that far out?Even let a couple of tracers fly but it was to light and could not see them. Any comments would be appreciated.[:\] Also cmp on the barrel what does that mean . I thought chrome but wouldnt that be cmr or cr?[>:/]
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 3:56:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Should have gotten a BUSHMASTER!!!
[x]
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 3:58:24 PM EDT
[#2]
C MP means Colt Magnetic Particle inspected.
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 4:05:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Have you zeroed the sites yet??? you might want to try that first.

brian73
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 4:14:02 PM EDT
[#4]
no offense but do you know how to set you BZO? (Battle sight zero)

The UN is nice enough to wear bright blue helmets for us to see, but you need to do YOUR PART and learn to shoot your rifle and become a RIFLEMAN>
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 4:57:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Propguy,

My colt 1 in 7 HBAR was doing something similar.  It was shooting 8" low at 50 yards.  I had to raise the rear to the 600 yard mark to get it to shoot on target.  Next time.  Try it closer up so you can see where the rounds are going, and correct from there.

I need to crank my front site down to try to sight it in properly.
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 5:14:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Whenever I have a day like that, I blame it on the wind.
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 5:17:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Whenever I have a day like that, I blame it on the wind.
View Quote

Me too, cept i've never had a day like that :)
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 5:58:47 PM EDT
[#8]
I wouldn't panic yet.
Assuming you are shooting bench-rest (the only
way to go, other than prone at this point):

How many shots did you fire between each time you walked out to change the target?  Each time you should tape the holes or put one of those adhesive (or the kind you lick) dots on the holes, other wise it's easy to lose track of your progress.  Also a spotting scope is a big help.

Maybe you're already doing this stuff.  Then try this:  

Remove magazine,the bolt carrier, and check that the chamber is empty.

Rest the gun on sandbags.

Look breech-to-muzzle through the bore and align with the black on a 100 yd target.

Next check sight picture without disturbing gun.

If the sight picture is to the left, adjust the rear sight to move the aperture to the left.  If the picture is high, either lower the front sight or raise the rear sight, depending on what kind you have.  You can estimate the amount of adjustment needed by moving your head and paying attention to how far
the sight is off by.

This adjustment is opposite in direction to what you would use when shooting, because while shooting, the sight is aligned to the target and the bore is not aligned.  In this preliminary stage, the barrel is aligned and you have to bring the sight into alignment.

When you get to the point where you have a right-on sight picture while the bore is centered on the black, stop this part and safely get ready to fire.

At this point I think you should be able to get on the paper consistently.

It helps to have a friend or fellow shooter watching the target area with a spotting scope, telescope, or at least binoculars.  

You want them to watch whether you're off the paper to the left, right, high, or low.  If they don't see impact in the dirt or whatever, then they look to see if you hit the target and if so, where.  I find it hard to see the holes with binoculars.

Use the clock face and the scoring rings for reference.  They can mark numbers for each shot on a circle drawn on a piece of paper, and give you verbal feedback on where the bullets are going.  Hold on the target exactly the same (no "Kentucky windage) each time and shoot three to five rounds.

Assuming you're on the paper, judge from the group's 'center' what kind of adjustment is needed.  If you miss paper consistently, your helper should be able to tell you where they're going.

Now make sight adjustments as needed. Personally I only change one - either windage or elevation - at a time.

Cover your target holes and start again, or if you're keeping good records and have good optics.

If you are not getting consistent groups, see if somemone else has any better luck.  However, their sight picture may very, so it doesn't make much sense to be swapping back & forth.  One or the other of you should do the sighting in adjustments.

If nobody gets consistent groups in calm or steady minor wind, I'd start looking at the gun.

Link Posted: 6/3/2001 6:32:50 PM EDT
[#9]
I R also went to range today. I was shooting
[list]
1/2" group at 50yds with .22 (scoped)
4" group at 120yds with .223 (iron-sites)
8" group at 120yds with 7mm Mauser (iron-sites)
?" group at 10yds with 9mm (iron-sites)
[/list]
I don't know the group I had with the Glock. I was just firing away listing to "PLANG! PLANG!"

[size=1]Group subject to change depending on range partner reading post.[/size=1] [;)]
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 7:17:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Propguy,

Try this place for information on zeroing your rifle. The "Improved Battlesight Zero" by LTC Chuck Santose would be the recommended procedure for most shooters. I just zeroed my AR with this and it works well
[url]http://communities.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite&naventryid=120[/url]

Also I presume you are new to shooting AR's and now you are aware of just how crappy the trigger is. The only substitue for a new trigger assembly is practice...practice...practice.

Link Posted: 6/4/2001 11:07:20 AM EDT
[#11]
huh, that funny, all my POS ak's can do better then that. whats up with that [-!-!-]
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 5:13:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Went to the range today could not hit s@#$!  

So how is that different from any other time you go to the range [:D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top