Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/3/2001 2:09:55 PM EDT
Is there such a thing as a preban mini 14 ? If so, what are the specifics. I have an older mini 14 and am wondering WTF. how much would a preban be worth
[):)]
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 2:14:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, there is and even a 10-22 can be pre-ban. I have one I placed a folding stock and flash suppressor on prior to Sept 94. As for price, I do'nt know, is it a factory folder???
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 2:14:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Pre-ban Mini-14's aren't worth to much more than a post-ban.  I have a pre-ban Mini-14 with a Butler Creek side folding stock. I have tried to sell it for $500 time and again.  It never sells. I even offer it with the original box and 10 40rd mags.  To find out if it is pre-ban or not call Ruger at 1-603-863-3300, they can tell on what date it left the factory.  Since it's a Mini-14 it would have left the factory as a whole gun so if it was before the ban it would be pre-ban.  I hope this helps.
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 2:29:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 2:31:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info all...
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 3:20:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 3:28:14 PM EDT
[#6]
There is ONLY 1 preban mini-14, The GB model.
(Factory folder, Flash Suppressor, Bayonet Lug)
If your mini is not a GB then it is not a preban regardless of the year made as the mini was not a rifle that was banned. A mini made in 1980 is the exact same as a mini made in 2000.
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 3:48:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Wrong, RipMeyer.  If a mini14 was made before the ban AND had 'evil' features added to it, again, before the ban, it is a preban.  If it had a pistol grip stock and flash hider added before the ban date, you can replace it with something similar, more up to date.  It doesn't make it worth more, but it is legal to upgrade the 'evil' features with something more to your liking.
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 5:04:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 5:55:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By LARRY G:
Wrong, RipMeyer.  If a mini14 was made before the ban AND had 'evil' features added to it, again, before the ban, it is a preban.  If it had a pistol grip stock and flash hider added before the ban date, you can replace it with something similar, more up to date.  It doesn't make it worth more, but it is legal to upgrade the 'evil' features with something more to your liking.
View Quote

All the subjects that come up here about pre-ban or not, I think this one would be the eaisest one to actually get busted on. The mini was never an "assualt weapon" and the judge would go with that. you make the call but IMO its a VERY thin line. Not worth it to me, thats why I have a GB [img]communities.msn.com/_Secure/0NAAvB5oQYpmFpBST0SOyKTf7Ru1JMWGv3wuGHqmhMtVcg0etIafnDAq8nt87NlfJ0qyJYsO8fBY0PGgtiKGttw/Mini14(1).jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 2:59:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Unfortunately, the Mini 14 can be classified as an assault weapon, depending on configuration.  In truth, an "assault weapon" was a select fire weapon, but the term has been redefined.  Now, if a weapon accepts detachable mags and has two other described features it is an "assault weapon."  If your Mini has a folding stock and pistol grip it is an assault weapon.  Capability to accept a detachable mag plus any two of the following make a rifle "assault":  pistol grip below the action, folding or collapsible stock, flash hider, grenade launcher, bayonet lug.  A GB is certainly a preban assault weapon by today's definition, but so is my K Mini-14/5F. It has a factory folding stock, pistol grip, and of course,  accepts detachable mags.

How is the ATF going to prove that a Mini manufactured before (you pick the date) never had a folding stock with pistol grip on it prior to 1994?

Regarding the value of preban Minis, if a friend of mine wanted to sell a NIB ss factory GB folder for $800 with a factory 30 round mag, it would be his no longer!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top