Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/3/2001 11:02:47 AM EDT
When I purchased my Colt AR15A2 back in 1989 there was no such thing as pre/post ban AR15's. Over the years with mutiple moves I've lost the orginal reciept for the AR and have no proof of when it was purchased.

DO I need to try and find some kind of paperwork showing the gun was purchased in 89 or is the 3 digit GS 0006XX serial number proof enough???
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 11:08:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Call Colt.
They should provide you with a letter
saying it left the factory before the ban
as a complete rifle.
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 1:15:45 PM EDT
[#2]

You don't need a letter.  All Colts manufactured before the Assault Weapons deadline are preban (they did not sell separate lowers, only complete rifles).  You could call them up to get an exact manufacture date, but that is redundant.

The serial number is Proof positive that your rifle is a preban Government Series AR.

Link Posted: 6/3/2001 2:28:26 PM EDT
[#3]
What about a Bushmaster? Is a letter required?
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 2:44:59 PM EDT
[#4]
M4 a letter of any kind would only be required if you're challenged by a LEO as to it's statues as a legal grandfathered assault weapon.having said that,it is wise to contact the manufacture as to when and how the firearm left the factory ie.complete or lower.bushie and a few other will send you a letter.some i believe charge a fee for this service,bushmaster doesn't.this also has been discussed at length in the legal forum.mmk
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 2:55:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 3:29:50 PM EDT
[#6]
NO paper work is required by law for proof!!
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 4:16:44 PM EDT
[#7]
I have heard on this board that the courts have decided that the rifle is not grandfathered the owner is. Meaning that once you sold the rifle after the ban the rifle becomes a post ban rifle. I would like to know if this is true. I do have to say NY has mirrored the Federal bill and I think you can not hand down that preban rifle cause the person had to be in possession of it before the ban.
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 5:32:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have heard on this board that the courts have decided that the rifle is not grandfathered the owner is. Meaning that once you sold the rifle after the ban the rifle becomes a post ban rifle. I would like to know if this is true. I do have to say NY has mirrored the Federal bill and I think you can not hand down that preban rifle cause the person had to be in possession of it before the ban.
View Quote

The law says, "legally possessed" (by a person, dealer, manufacturer, corporation etc.) as opposed to "illegally possessed, stolen, etc."

Possession and transfer of preban grandfathered SAW's are legal under Federal and NYS law.
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 8:56:02 PM EDT
[#9]
You own it, that's proof. You also might want to read the Constitution, the Federalist and Anti Federalist papers, the Bill of Rights. That will be enough defense.
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 9:05:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Colt will provide you with a letter documenting the status, and history of your particular weapon, but guess what they charge for the service... TWO HUNDRED F_CKING DOLLARS!!!!        [-!-]

And you thought Armalite charged an arm and a leg!
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 10:33:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Why bother with a letter and all that crap?  GS serial number is a preban.  Government Service model 6550.

[url]http://www.biggerhammer.net/ar15/ar15serial.html[/url]
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 10:44:16 PM EDT
[#12]
While it would/could get messy... Remember, it is up to them (whomever they may be) to prove that the gun is illegal.
We are all, of course, law abiding citizens... So you don't say anything and let them do the footwork.
It would of course go eaiser and quicker if you have the paperwork. But, if you have done anything wrong and the gun is legit, you have nothing to worry about.
If your an idiot and broke the law, gawd help you.
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 12:48:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 1:44:52 AM EDT
[#14]
I am always amazed at how new law gets made while one of these threads runs its course.

Link Posted: 6/4/2001 8:35:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Colt charges for a letter!!!!!!!!!!!
That is cruel.

As long as the serial number is pre-ban you are OK like others have said.But I like it
when buying a pre-ban if the seller could provide a letter from the manufactor stating
pre-ban status,It would really be nice for gunshows on the weekends when the companies are closed down.For me its just another piece of assurance.

Can't get over them charging a rfle owner who bought their brand for a letter about his rifle.
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 8:57:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Lets see, Troy may be right about court, but if I go into court and I need Colt to verify date of mfg of my gun, which I already did verbally over the phone, I will have my lawyer subpeona the information.    
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top