Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/3/2001 7:31:55 AM EDT
I have to have a physical.  Does anyone know the weight requirements?  I gain a tire during residency. I am working on it but its getting tough. I will going in as a Doc so the requirements hopefully will be looser.  Also what will my experience will be like during my two weeks at Pensacola?
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 7:59:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Go on the Atkins Diet.  You will lose weight very fast.  It is an extreme diet, though.  Some people say it is not safe, but I've lost 17 pounds in the last 4 weeks and I feel like I'm 21 again.  I'm not tired all the time; I'm much more energetic.  I'm not craving food every damned minute.  Life is much better now.

It's not easy, though.  You will go through an "adjustment" period soon after you start because your body won't know what happened.  Be patient, and after a few days your body will figure things out (how to get energy from other sources) and you will start feeling very good.

The best thing is that you don't have to starve yourself.
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 8:05:32 AM EDT
[#2]
I wouldn't be too concerned unless you gained a LOT of weight. The Navy weight requirements are pretty lax. Your local recruiter will be able to tell you if you give him a call.

If you're cutting it close, or are over the weight limit, just go on a 100% protein diet. Nothing but meat for 7 days, then take 2 days off and eat anything you want. Keep repeating until you are where you want to be, but be careful of the rebound effect when you get off the diet. I have never tried this, but my GF did and had great results.

Good luck and premature welcome from a brother in arms!

Semper Fidelis.
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 8:08:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Also what will my experience will be like during my two weeks at Pensacola?
View Quote

I'm not too sure, but if it's like the schools i've been to, it will be a LOT of hard work, and a HELL OF A LOT of partying on the weekends! Overall, it will be a great experience!

Cheers!
[beer]
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 11:41:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Based on my time as an active duty squid (6 years), my experiences in boot camp, various schools ("A," "C," etc., etc.), and my knowledge of the reservists (there are non-prior service programs for people who have critical skills, meaning no real boot camp required), it should be fairly rinky dink. As long as you're not grossly obese, I wouldn't get too worried about things. However, if your body fat percentage is borderline, you may want to start working out a little and cutting back on your meal portions. Otherwise, you could spend some of your liberty time in Pensacola doing remedial PRT, vice hitting the beach.
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 10:14:39 AM EDT
[#5]
I attended DCOI last July in Pensacola. For a guy who got through medical school the exams will be a joke. You'll be tested on military law/regulations, naval admin stuff (corresponence BS), Navy history, rank structure, etc. and have 3 written exams which nobody fails. As far as PT, we didn't have any because the whole base gets black flagged (no organized PT) on days over 90, which is every day in Florida in August, which is when I was there. Even if you do PT it's nothing strenuous, just don't piss off the Marine D.I. and he'll go easy on everyone. Also, make sure you can swim and deadman float for at least 5 min. Otherwise as a previous poster said it's basically a nice 2 wk vacation paid for by Uncle Sam.
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 10:17:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Congratulations!!!

You are now our 147th line of defense!  Just behind the League of Women Voters.
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 10:30:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Mr. Spock, ever served? If you did you would know a few good trauma surgeons and their surgical support team in a field hospital are as important to the defense of this country as any other combat support unit. I know you're proud of your standing as master at arms of your local LWV lodge, but don't get stupid on me.  
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 10:59:46 AM EDT
[#8]
[pointing at Mr. Spock] HA HA!
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 11:22:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
[pointing at Mr. Spock] HA HA!
View Quote

What is this?  Dungeons and Dragons?
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 11:45:33 AM EDT
[#10]
As for dieting, don't do the Hollywood diets.  Determine a well balanced diet, ie turkey or lean meat and veggies, and very light snack after 6pm..  Every day start off walking/trotting, and work up to running.  Or join a local gym and use the elliptical or bike machines.  Minimum 1.5 hours every day to start.

Don't worry, the Navy has diet programs for your convenience.

Have fun [beer]
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 11:50:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top