Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 6/2/2001 7:29:26 PM EDT
If i were to build an ar out of a parts kit with a total of about $500, using parts from one of the places in SGN, how good of a rifle would i have? WOuld it jam alot? What is a parts kit AR worth? Who would i want to order parts from? I am sortof looking for eithor a mock m4 or a full stock A2. Mabe something sort of like the LEGP rifle what would that cost. thanks Chris
Link Posted: 6/2/2001 7:40:09 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/2/2001 9:25:33 PM EDT
I purchased a PWA lower and a E2 kit from Model 1. I have not had any problems with it yet and it cost me about 525.00 total. It shoots good and no jams.
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 7:00:13 AM EDT
Zip i have 2 ARs built from parts kits, the first one is a 20" on a PWA lower and the second one is a 16" M4gery buit on a Rock Rivers lower, both of the kits came from J&T distributing. The 20" has about 4-6000 rnds through it with out a problem, except it doesn't like barnul ammo, the 16" only has a few hundred rounds through it as i've only had it to the range twice. if you want to see photos of them i have some posted in the industry forums under J&T
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 7:11:34 AM EDT
Zip, I've got an M&A kit gun on a Bushmaster lower and all works well. I would like to upgrade to a BM barrel but I only shoot once a month and at that rate the kit barrel is not going to wear out. If you plan to use the weapon for duty, 3-gun or to attend some school I would use the best parts that I could afford. Just remember that a lot of the small stuff (spings, pins, stocks) come from only one or two different companies. Enjoy, -XM15
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 7:35:52 PM EDT
thanks for the advice. So who has the best deals and quaility. Im thinking about doing this because, a bushmaster is about $750 in my area and that is just to right now, as i need mags and ammo still. Im thinking about a parts kit AR or anoter AK.
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 8:38:03 PM EDT
My only ar is a frankengun built on an oly reciever. I didn't put it together but I'm pretty sure it has an oly barrel because it has the comp ridge at the front. It is has a 16" free floated barrel and the finish sucks. The guy put some black looking finish but it was ugly so I stripped it all off. Looks better but it sure aint pretty. It shoots well and has never had a jam. As I am in CA it is all I got and can have, but it shoots as well as my bro's preban colt. Don't worry about a parts gun, it will shoot well (check your gas rings) and you will have the satisfaction of building it yourself. I am jealous.
Top Top