Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/2/2001 3:54:57 PM EDT
I've got a chance to purchase a government profile preban 20" upper with a FN barrel and needed some input.
Are there any advantages or disadvantages to the government profile as apposed to an H-bar. I've heard that when shooting and using a sling it's better to have an H-bar. Does this hold true with the government profile? Also this one's chrome lined if that helps any.

Link Posted: 6/2/2001 6:43:18 PM EDT
[#1]
When you say "government profile", are you referring to an a1 or an a2?  The a2 barrel shouldn't have any problems when using a tight loop sling.  I have an HBar, and it is one heavy sonofagun.  Unless you are going to be using it for benchrest shooting, it is completely unnecessary.  Just make sure that the barrel isn't the skinny a1 variety.  They supposedly do bend under sling pressure.
Link Posted: 6/2/2001 6:51:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I would prefer a h bar over a thin barrel for most usage.Dont know what the gov barrel is assuming a thin barrel.
Link Posted: 6/2/2001 7:18:35 PM EDT
[#3]
To add to his question....

I would like to know the difference in these too.  I see new Colt Hbars and new Colt "Govt's" advertised, but I really ain't sure what the difference is other than bbl profile???
Link Posted: 6/2/2001 7:29:54 PM EDT
[#4]
it depends what you want to use your rifle for. If you're gonna do alot of range shooting and not alot of carrying the rifle up hills and stuff (playing soldier) then get the h bar. but if you're gonna play soldier or you want a wtshtf rifle get the govt barrel its a heck of alot lighter and you'll really appreciate that in a combat situation. if you really want a heavy barrel then go with a fluted barrel it lightens it up a bit and helps cooling. what kind of a twist you want is also a important option to consider.
Link Posted: 6/2/2001 7:33:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't like the H-bar unless I'm shooting from the bench, it makes the rifle very front heavy.

The A2 Gov't profile feels much more lively and swings faster when shooting unsupported.
Link Posted: 6/2/2001 7:37:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/2/2001 8:51:31 PM EDT
[#7]
I have an Hbar Bushmaster. I wish I had an A2 Govt. profile. As far as bending the barrel with sling tension, I'm not so sure about that. In the USMC we shot qualification with as much sling tension as you could stand although match accuracy was not required. We could all hit a man size target at 500yds/m(albeit standing still)most of us 10 for 10 and that was with the M-16A1. The HBar is a little heavy and my rifle is a utility rifle(Steel plate, varmiter, plinker, defense etc.) The A2 Govt. would work just as well in all those applications and be easier to carry. I think the HBar is a little over rated.
Link Posted: 6/2/2001 9:00:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
To add to his question....

I would like to know the difference in these too.  I see new Colt Hbars and new Colt "Govt's" advertised, but I really ain't sure what the difference is other than bbl profile???
View Quote

The A2 Govt profile is HBar diameter from the back of the front site post to the flash suppressor and is thinner(maybe A1 diameter)under the hand guards. This was done to accommodate the attachment of the M203 grenade launcher.
Link Posted: 6/2/2001 9:03:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Just the input I was looking for.

Just to clear things up, this is an FN barrel with
  FNMI MP NATO 1/7
stamped on the barrel. And the chamber and barrel are chrome lined. From what I understand, this is the current GI issue as well, am I wrong here?
Anyway, the barrel is heavy at first, and then necks down under the handguard. I include this just to make sure we're all talking about the same thing here, but seems to be we are.
So, how about the twist, any opinions on there? Is 1:9 ideal, or is 1:7 just right?
Link Posted: 6/2/2001 9:04:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/2/2001 9:07:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/2/2001 9:29:28 PM EDT
[#12]
To fast for say, .62 grain SS109?

Link Posted: 6/2/2001 10:12:36 PM EDT
[#13]
the only hbar i have is on my hksl81.  and the only reason i have not lightened that one up is i haven't gotten around to it.  but being a recreational shooter the light barrels serve me well.  prior to the m4 hbar's floating around, the us military have never adopted an hbar for std issue.  there is no need to.  my fn a2 barrel can out shoot me any day.  at 2.6 vs 4.0 lbs that extra weight could go to other things.  assuming you are shleping that thing around

steve
Link Posted: 6/2/2001 10:43:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/2/2001 10:47:10 PM EDT
[#15]
I purchased the exact same FN gov't profile barrel you described from Ed at Gunsmoke Enterprises.  I usually shoot 55gr SA battlepack ammo with zero problems.  Maybe you should contact him and get his advice too?

Gunsmoke Enterprises Inc.
http://www.gunsmoke-inc.com
(863)763-1582        

Link Posted: 6/3/2001 4:51:51 AM EDT
[#16]
The beauty of the AR15 design is it's lightwieght.
I have a 20'' Bushmaster H BAR that is so heavy I feel like I might as well carry my M14 / M1A instead.
The H BAR really shoots nice though.
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 6:03:05 AM EDT
[#17]
What is the actual weight difference between barrels with the HBAR and A2 profiles?

Doesn't look like it could be over 1 pound(?).

That could make a big difference in the rifle's balance and handling, but is it really a big deal as far as total carrying weight is concerned?

I've carried light & heavy rifles while deer hunting in the southern Sierras; with all the rest of the crap I carry in my day-pack, an extra pound or two on the rifle doesn't seem to make much difference.  

Does anyone currently make uppers with A1 contoured barrels?

What are the current prices for assembled uppers with HBAR, A2, and A1 contoured barrels?
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 6:22:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Well, I probably won't be doing much varming shooting with it, so I'll probably stick to 55 grn or 62grn bullets. Is the 1:7 just considered "adequate" for this? Would the 1:9 be better? I guess I'm wondering what would get me the most accuracy and velocity at longer distances with the above mentioned ammo.

This is a nice upper, and would be nice to have, but wonder if I should hold out for a 1:9.
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 6:56:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Twenty years ago I owned a SP1 and loved it. Light and balanced very well. I sold it and got a Colt HBAR. What a mistake. The HBAR shoots very nicely from the bench. But it is heavy to carry and is very muzzle heavy. That extra weight really change the character of the rifle.
If I had to do it again I would choose the Govt. profile barrel.

The 1/7 twist will handle the very heavy (75-80gr) bullets. But these have to be single loaded as they are too long to fit in the magazine. You will also lose the capability to use the light weight varmint bullets. Fast twist + thin jackets + high velocity = bullet disintegration before it reaches the target.

I think you would be best served by the 1/9 twist. It will better handle the light weights and work well with the 55/62 gr. bullets. You would lose the use of the very heavy weights. but you don't sound like you would use them anyway.

If you find an old 1/12 twist barrel it would not handle anything over the 55gr. bullets. Not even the 62's. So you are probably not interested in it. The 1/9 is probably the best twist for most people. Just MHO.
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 9:01:03 AM EDT
[#20]
I don't have exact weight differences (maybe someone who does will chime in) but I do know this--the M16A1s that I used in the Army were "supposedly" 6.5 pounds, and the 20" Bushmaster A2 HBAR is @8.75 Pounds. And you can feel that @2.25 pound difference just carrying the thing around at the range. I don't even wanna think about lugging that HBAR around for any extended period of time. I personally will not buy another HBAR unless the deal is simply too good to pass up.
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 9:47:32 AM EDT
[#21]
There are as many uses for a sport-utility rifle as there are different uppers. If you can only have one : ( ... then how about a fluted HBAR as a compromise? Otherwise, each has it's own place.

I like em all.

M4-AK

[>Q]

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top