Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/1/2001 8:07:31 AM EDT
[size=6][blue]WAHOO![/size=6][/blue]

Just picked mine up at the FFL's.  I had a bit of an job convincing him it's an HBar, so I could avoid the whole Maryland Regulated Firearms fiasco.

Came in a nice cardboard box, inside was the Rock River Arms.  The rifle was well packed, and the accessories were well protected within.  Unfortunately, Castle Arms shipped me an OKO cover, instead of an OKO.  Luckily I wanted one, so I called them up and bought it.  They took good care of me and I should have the OKO by Monday.

The 10 round magazine, while limited capacity, is good quality with a green follower.  The OKO cover is well made and well finished.  Fully deburred, no sharp edges to worry about.  Good steel work.

The box also contained a Rock River Arms 20 page color catalog, an actual USMC TM 05538C-23&P/2 Technical Manual, warranty card, Castle Arms business card, LEGP certificate and my tactical sling.

My first observations are that it's a very good quality gun.  Very tight upper/lower fit, but I was still able to push out the rear pin by hand.  The Star Selector didn't overwhelm me - it works fine, is very positive, but until I compare it side to side with a normal one, I'm not seeing the advantage yet.  The handguards were good quality, came off easily by myself, and have the double heat shields.  The heat shield have glue in addition to the tabs to hold them in place.  Should be good for stopping rattles.

There's a light copper mark on the deflector from the test firing.  The included magazine drops free with authority.

The allen keys holding the gas tube onto bolt carrier are well staked, though RR used two crimps per bolt, coming in from the sides.  Little different than the 4 stakes Bushmaster uses, but it accomplishes the same thing and it is milspec.  The inside of the rear of the bolt carrier is a bit more roughly machined than my Bushmaster's, but that should only affect cleanup slightly, and not affect function.  Trigger was crisp and good.  No complaints there.

More to follow--------
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 8:14:47 AM EDT
[#1]
I had a bit of an job convincing him it's an HBar, so I could avoid the whole Maryland Regulated Firearms fiasco.
View Quote

Very nice work, considering it is an M4, taper cut, full lightweight barrel... That's about as opposite from an HBAR as it gets!  [:D]
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 8:16:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Well, pulling the handguards there is a large section by the barrel nut.

Besides, a local shop sells the Bushmaster M4 as an HBar.
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 8:21:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Well, pulling the handguards there is a large section by the barrel nut.
View Quote

I know...  We call that a "chamber"! [thinking]

Luckily for the majority of us AR enthusiats, we're much smarter than the typical gun owners out there.
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 8:38:54 AM EDT
[#4]
There are parts of the barrel that are as thick as an HBar.  Not many parts, but some.....[:D]
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 9:26:39 AM EDT
[#5]
My safety is a little stiff too but I figure it just needs to be broke in.
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 9:36:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
[size=6][blue]WAHOO![/size=6][/blue]
The inside of the rear of the bolt carrier is a bit more roughly machined than my Bushmaster's, but that should only affect cleanup slightly, and not affect function.
View Quote

The bolt carrier is probably made by an outside vendor, since it doesn't affect function, so what?

My wife has always complained to me that men are just too visually oriented, but what the heck,when you get chance please post pictures.
Have fun with your new "adult toy."
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 2:27:00 PM EDT
[#7]
warlord - I agree with your comments on the bolt carrier.  I stated the same comment in the writeup.  Just wanted to point out a visual difference.

Can't wait to send some rounds down range and really check it out.
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 3:03:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Fight - I think I am going to the range on Sat or Sunday to try out my new M4gery.  You going to go this weekend?
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 3:40:40 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm almost certain to take one of my 3 out![:D][bounce][:D]
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 5:27:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Now just waiting on mine!! Come on RRA!!! [;)]
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 7:26:07 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm having a hard time getting good pics.  These don't do justice, but will give you an idea.

[img]http://members.home.net/vbsolutions/pics/DCP01062.JPG[/img]
[img]http://members.home.net/vbsolutions/pics/DCP01077.JPG[/img]
[img]http://members.home.net/vbsolutions/pics/DCP01076.JPG[/img]
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 7:56:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top