Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/31/2001 3:02:43 PM EDT
I am picking up my Gyro soon, and have been scanning the internet for everything I could find on it.

Like 99% of the pages are those dork-ass fantasy game pages, where the Gyro seems to have a following due to it's "Buck Rogers" thing.

I've seen the "oldguns" stuff, and the classicfirearms write up.

Does anyone out there have A_N_Y_T_H_I_N_G on the Gyro?
Excerpts from magazines? Articles? Websites? That guy in WI who makes Rockets for it??

Anything. No matter how small, it may be would be appreciated.

I would really appreciate it.

McUZI
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 5:55:28 PM EDT
[#1]
OK, here's what I recall from the archives of my brain.  They were made from about 1967-1969 and the first ones were 13mm.  After the Gun Control Act of 1968 the rocket was reduced to 12mm to get under the .50 caliber limit.  Most guns were pistols which appear to be cast alluminum.  The rocket was fired by a hammer which struck the nose of the projectile driving it back against a fixed firing pin set in the breech face.  The rocket then ignited and exhausted through four vortex ports in the rear of the cartridge causing it to rotate for spin stabilazation.  The barrel is a smooth bore and the rocket would recock the hammer by simply running over it on its way out the barrel.  Velocity at the muzzle was in the 250fps range, but increased to about 1000fps 50 feet down range.  Accuracy was said to be poor.  Ammunition cost in the late '60s was one dollar per shot, which was a lot of money back then.
They also made a carbine version of the gun as well, but those are more rare.  Also, I have seen one presentation GyroJet which was encased in a wooden case with fake Gyro Jet ammo which was arranged in a circular patern around a big logo comemorating the designers of the gun.

Thats the best I can do for you.

Tony Rumore
Tromix Corp

Link Posted: 5/31/2001 6:02:12 PM EDT
[#2]
i know from watching the history channel that it wasnt very accurate and ammo is like 50+ dollers a shot i still want one thu
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 6:08:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah.
Ammo is a joke.

I am going to shoot my 1 and only Factory Gyro round on a really humid day, and take pics of the "trail" it leaves.

Kewl stuff.

Inaccurate, kinda.

You have to remember that Robert Mainhardt and Art Biehl were Nuclear Engineers for the US Government. This pistol wasn't designed for civillian sale.
It was designed to provide astronauts a weapon should we ever find ourselves fighting commies on the moon. Civillian sale was just Gravy for MBA Associates. The 1968 GCA .50 Cal provisions were aimed directly at the gyro- Not just Lahtis and Boyes rifles as most people think.

In zero gravity, with zero wind, and an increasing projectile velocity, the Gyro is about as bad-ass a gun as one could want.

It was designed for outerspace, after all.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 6:13:09 PM EDT
[#4]
History Channel "Tales of the Gun" gave some brief info on the Gyrojet during an episode some time back, was their tribute to strange or whacky firearms designs that never caught on.

What the hell is the name of the pistol that fires a triangular shaped projectile?  Was an even more bizarre creation if you ask me.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 6:24:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

What the hell is the name of the pistol that fires a triangular shaped projectile?  Was an even more bizarre creation if you ask me.
View Quote

The Dardick.
Fired a ,38 Ca. "tround"-

The millitary made it's inventor hold off on commercial sales of his system, because they believed his unique loading system would have potential with the really "big" guns.
After testing, they let him sell the pistol, which failed commercially.

I want one of those too.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 6:28:22 PM EDT
[#6]
SteyrAug probably has both the pistol and the carbine.
Can you still buy the ammo? I bet you could charge people big bucks just to try it out.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 6:39:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Can you still buy the ammo? I bet you could charge people big bucks just to try it out.
View Quote

Wilson said thhere is a guy in Wisconson who occasionially turns out a batch of Gyro ammo every once and a while-

I am D_Y_I_N_G to find him.I found a guy who had some original GyroRounds he was going to sell me for $20.00 a pop- I think I will get some.

Yeah, probably could charge for it.
I have like 10 guys who are making sure I let them know when I am going to shoot the thing, so they can watch.

Link Posted: 5/31/2001 8:16:33 PM EDT
[#8]
What the hell is wrong with you McUzu? What kind of fag gun is this any way? It looks like something the Village People would be prancing around with on stage! I'm surprised it even has a front sight as it would hinder speedy insertion for those group sphincter massaging sessions! Why don't you get a real gun as in anything that shoots a

[b][size=4]10mm[/size=4][/b]
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 3:16:27 AM EDT
[#9]
I believe Q used one to destroy one of his test dummies in a james bond film.  I always rely on james bond for my ballistic info.
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 4:11:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What the hell is wrong with you McUzu? What kind of fag gun is this any way? It looks like something the Village People would be prancing around with on stage! I'm surprised it even has a front sight as it would hinder speedy insertion for those group sphincter massaging sessions! Why don't you get a real gun as in anything that shoots a

[b][size=4]10mm[/size=4][/b]
View Quote

WOW! Good Idea!

A 10MM!

Does a G-20 with 7 FML Drop-free pre-bans count?? Considering it is my daily carry gun, and my hunting pistol,

and I have 4 boxes of original Norma10 Fireballs

and

I have been extoleing it's virtues here on AR15.com since day one,

I guess it's safe 2 say that I know a bit about the 10.
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 4:16:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 5:15:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
WOW! Good Idea!

A 10MM!

Does a G-20 with 7 FML Drop-free pre-bans count?? Considering it is my daily carry gun, and my hunting pistol,

and I have 4 boxes of original Norma10 Fireballs

and

I have been extoleing it's virtues here on AR15.com since day one,

I guess it's safe 2 say that I know a bit about the 10.
View Quote

Unfortunately I am full aware of your oppinion of the mighty 10mm. I am one of the limp wristed fags who has been chastized harshly for shooting with it's little brother the 40.

I am not worthy.
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 5:21:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Gyrojet?  You mean they still make those things?  I thought they were kind of a novelty gun like the .44 automag.  Inaccurate, expensive ammo......what is the advantage of a gyrojet weapon?  Is the ammo especially hard-hitting?  Do you just want one for the novelty?

Most of the info on the net is from role-playing gamers, huh?  When I played "Top Secret" and "Star Frontiers" in grade school, the gyrojet pistol was an available weapon.  I guess the appeal endures.
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 12:13:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 12:38:35 PM EDT
[#15]
There was one at the Lakeland FL show a few months back, in a case with about a dozen rounds of ammo... can't remember the price, though.  Maybe I'll see it at the Tampa show tomorrrow...  if so, I'll post more details.
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 1:17:16 PM EDT
[#16]
AMHsix-
It's pretty simple.  The mag is a single stack in the handle.  If you look at the pictures, you'll see the square portion with a curved slot above the trigger guard.  This is where the hammer is.  You cock the hammer using the lever poking out the slot.  The hammer faces to the REAR!  When you pull the trigger, the hammer strikes the nose of the rocket, forcing the rocket onto a fixed firing pin in the rear of the reciever.  This fires the rocket, which flys out the barrel forward and pushes the hammer back down out of it's way, cocking it.  Unique, but about as simple as you can get.

The rocket is spin stabilized.  There is no rifling, but there are directional exhaust ports in the rear of the rocket.  Picture a .45ACP, case and all flying at you.  That's about the size of it.  As the rocket burns, the exhaust spins the projectile for stabilization.  

Accuracy problems would generally stem from the really rotten rocket technology in the 60's (we still blow rockets up today, so you can imagine how good it was back then) or the exhasut fins would get bent and the thing would corckscrew.  The fins are just punched aluminum.  Figure all the variations in burn rate, etc and it's no wonder they weren't the most accurate things around.  

They are VERY light.  The feel is almost "toy-like".  I've handled several, but never shot one.  

Ross
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 9:43:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Tony replied with morethan the American Rifleman, but the issueofJanuary 2001 has an article in the Q& A section.
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 11:56:16 AM EDT
[#18]
The state museum in Carson City,Nevada has one in it's firearms collection(we live in a great state). It says something about being issued to villagers in VietNam for use against armored vehicles on the plaque beneath the gun. Next time I'm there I'll write it down word for word. Also, about 6 months ago at the Big Reno Show, I saw a Gyrojet pistol on a table. If it's there at the next one( Aug16,17,18) I'll look for ammo and stuff.
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 12:33:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Being a pistol and not having any rifling, wouldn't these things legally be like short-barrelled shotguns or something? Or is there an exception because of their rarity?
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 7:18:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Wilson said thhere is a guy in Wisconson who occasionially turns out a batch of Gyro ammo every once and a while-

I am D_Y_I_N_G to find him.I found a guy who had some original GyroRounds he was going to sell me for $20.00 a pop- I think I will get some.

Yeah, probably could charge for it.
I have like 10 guys who are making sure I let them know when I am going to shoot the thing, so they can watch.
View Quote

I'm not familiar with anything or anybody related to a gyrojet.  However, I can ask some of the class II/III and "odd item" dealers up here at our next gun show if you want.

No guarantees, but they might know who this individual is.

Mike

EDITED because I can't spell.
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 7:57:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Being a pistol and not having any rifling, wouldn't these things legally be like short-barrelled shotguns or something? Or is there an exception because of their rarity?
View Quote

Yeah.
Matter of fact, ATF has tried twice to get them as "Destructive Devices"
Once, they went after the ammo, since everything is "self contained"-
Another time, they tried to get the original 13MM Gyro's because they are larger than .50 cal.

But, they are now classified as C&R's because they are rare as all hell.
If someone would just make ammo for them on a regular basis, prices of them would triple.

Prebans) Man, i'd appreciate it.
If you get any word, e-mail me
[email protected]

[url]www.McUZI.com[/url]
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 8:10:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The state museum in Carson City,Nevada has one in it's firearms collection(we live in a great state). It says something about being issued to villagers in VietNam for use against armored vehicles on the plaque beneath the gun. Next time I'm there I'll write it down word for word. Also, about 6 months ago at the Big Reno Show, I saw a Gyrojet pistol on a table. If it's there at the next one( Aug16,17,18) I'll look for ammo and stuff.
View Quote

I really hate that gunshow.   As a matter of fact, I hate all the gunshows in Reno and all in the nation probably.  Everyone selling the same low quality, middle quality and the occasional "too expensive to afford so why bother even looking"  crap.  Unless of course you are one of the SASS sissy men who dress like cowboy's and shoot old guns like it was cool then and only then would the Big Reno Gun Show be worth going to because they seeem to have dozens of tables set up selling these old "cowboy" guns.  [pissed]  [pissed][pissed][pissed][pissed][pissed][pissed][pissed][pissed]

Notice I really hate the Reno shows?  Mostly because they wont let me in wearing full ninja gear.  "SASS sissy men" [-!-] (just had to say it one more time .

NSF
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 8:18:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Prebans) Man, i'd appreciate it.
If you get any word, e-mail me
[email protected]

[url]www.McUZI.com[/url]
View Quote

Well, it'll be about a month or so before the next show.  But, I'll ask a few folks for you.  If nothing else, we can determine if it may be just a rumor (ie. no one has heard about it) or if there could be/definitely is some truth to it.

If nothing else, I'm curious to see what one of these rounds looks like.

Mike
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 8:32:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

[url]www.McUZI.com[/url]

Well, it'll be about a month or so before the next show.  But, I'll ask a few folks for you.  If nothing else, we can determine if it may be just a rumor (ie. no one has heard about it) or if there could be/definitely is some truth to it.

If nothing else, I'm curious to see what one of these rounds looks like.

Mike
View Quote

Well, you may be a bigger help to me than youy know.
About a week ago, I had been e-mailing a dealer in Nevada who had a T_O_N of Gyro rounds for $10,00 each. He had a Gyro on GunsAmerica, and had sold it.
I saw the ad b4 GunsAmerica deleted it, and asked if he had any Gyro ammo for sale.
He indeed did, BUT I DELETED HIS E-MAIL BY ACCIDENT, AND GUNSAMERICA DELETED HIS AD!!
So, now I have no way to contact him...
I am TOTALLY kicking myself in the ass over that.
You may run into him, and if you do, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE get his Phone # and pass it along...

McUZI

[url]www.McUZI.com[/url]
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 8:35:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Mojo:

Yes it is the same.  You can see a couple of pictures of it and read about it in the book "SOG, a pictorial history" By Major Plaster USA., ret.  SSgt. Franklin Miller(won the MOH) is holding one & I beleive another person won the MOH while he used one.  I'll have to go back & look up the name.  According to the book they test fired one and it went through some 55gallon drums filled with water and a flak vest or something to that sort.
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 11:51:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

I really hate that gunshow.   As a matter of fact, I hate all the gunshows in Reno and all in the nation probably.  Everyone selling the same low quality, middle quality and the occasional "too expensive to afford so why bother even looking"  crap.  Unless of course you are one of the SASS sissy men who dress like cowboy's and shoot old guns like it was cool then and only then would the Big Reno Gun Show be worth going to because they seeem to have dozens of tables set up selling these old "cowboy" guns.  [pissed]  [pissed][pissed][pissed][pissed][pissed][pissed][pissed][pissed]

Notice I really hate the Reno shows?  Mostly because they wont let me in wearing full ninja gear.  "SASS sissy men" [-!-] (just had to say it one more time .

NSF
View Quote
I like to wear my ATF hat and try get shady lookin' guys to show me where they keep " the good stuff."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top