Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/31/2001 6:21:20 AM EDT
This idea has always bothered me. Wouldn't that be the best way to find guns??? I am too much of a cynic to believe they couldn't get if if they wanted it.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 6:27:20 AM EDT
[#1]
NRA is run by the feds...You didn't know that? :)
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 6:39:10 AM EDT
[#2]
The U.S. Supreme Court has ruled that a private organization can not be forced to reveal its membership list.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 6:43:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Where would the NRA get a list of its members' guns to give to the government in the first place?

It wouldn't even be close to a complete list of gun [b]owners[/b] since relatively few belong to the NRA.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 7:09:26 AM EDT
[#4]
That is precisely why I joined using Imbroglio's name and address !
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 7:14:08 AM EDT
[#5]
I got a call the other night from some organization asking for $.  I asked them how they got my name and they said from some magazine I take.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 1:14:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Don't forget that some people that are NRA members do not own any firearms.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 1:51:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Not quite. The Supremes ruled that some private groups do not have to give their membership lists to the government. The cases have all been favored groups, like the NAACP. It is unclear what the US Supremes would think about a gun group.
A Michigan gun group would be better off under state law, since there is an extensive state supreme court ruling which equates gun ownership with other private things like family and religion.
Of course, the feds would just use a pre-signed warrant and take what they want anyway. Once they have a few copies made no court order would take the info away from them
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top