Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/30/2001 8:24:12 PM EDT
No, not another "what knife do you carry" thread.

I've always owned drop point or clip point knives, but have seen the tantos becoming more popular.

So, what are the advantages-disadvantages of the tantos compared to other designs?

I find them kind of funky looking, but would like to know what I'm missing.
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 8:31:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 8:40:06 PM EDT
[#2]
They typically have very sturdy blades and edges because the blade design is thick all the way to the point unlike a "clip point" design that gets skinnier as it comes to its point. Also theoretically simple to sharpen as they are only ground on one edge. I've heard they are good "penetrators" because they essentially have two points. Personally, the ones I am familiar with seem kind of heavy for their size and a little out of balance. I have a pre-production Benchmade - Emerson CQC7 but it stays in the safe mostly because of it's weight.  
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 8:50:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Not all tantos are "chisel ground" meaning that they're ground on only one side.  In fact, most have a double grind.  You must know what you're doing to get a chisel ground blade sharpened properly.  Double grinds are easier.  What Its2234me said about the tip is true.

I have personally found that while tantos get the cool points, they do not get the use points.  Unless you plan to penetrate heavy material all the time, save yourself some effort and get a drop or clip point.  They are more usable for most everyday tasks.
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 8:56:42 PM EDT
[#4]
BTW - There's an Emerson CQC7 on the "For Sale - Accessories" board for $95 right now. Real good price for an Emerson if you want to give one a shot.
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 9:25:24 PM EDT
[#5]
A tanto style point is stronger, for punching through hard materials, but the clip point blade is better for "stabbing" because it is a more streamline design.
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 10:31:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 12:14:22 AM EDT
[#7]
I carry a Cold Steel Voyager with a tanto point at work( in a restaurant/bar).It's awesome for scraping gum,tape residue, or opening boxes. Never gotten to cut or stab anybody with it, though.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 1:10:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Mine is a half-serrated Benchmade Emerson CQC7LH.  I have always been fond of the Tanto point and what it offers for sheer thrength and endurance, and fell in with EE Emerson's Chisel grind the first time I used it.  It is a little more detail to sharpen, but actually easier once you get the hang of it.

The Tanto offers a large slicing surface for big jobs, and a smaller one up front that works for slicing, chopping, scraping, trning screws, and damn near anything else...  And, the half-serrated blade is not a bad idea, if the base blade is big enough.  My CQC7 goes everywhere with me, and has already saved a few lives by making short work of seatbelts at MVA's!  

Tanto - good for general cutting, sticking, and the like.  

Serrated - good for cutting something NOW!

Another point - if you get a folder - go for the liner lock!  I have yet to run across anything else that will act like a fixed blade when open, and still fold up on command.  My CQC7 does exactly that, and I still have all my fingers after both fighting with it and using it in high-stress rescue situations...

FFZ
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 6:26:11 AM EDT
[#9]
FreeFire Zone: OT -  I ran into a sales rep for the Emerson Knife Co. and I asked them why they put the bevel side, and he replied "no particular reason.  Mr. Emerson just liked the bevel on that side."  Another common question about the chiesel grind is that it doesn't cut paper straight, "the original requirement was to cut a rope quicky, wheather it was cut straight or not was not a concern."  I have one of the production CQC7s, works pretty good.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 7:10:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Anybody have an emerson with their custom damascus blade? Looks cool but I question its practicality.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top