Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/30/2001 1:29:26 PM EDT
[url]www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/aponline/20010530/aponline140217_000.htm[/url]

Children, Dogs Hold Off Idaho Sheriff

The Associated Press
                 Wednesday, May 30, 2001; 2:02 p.m. EDT

SANDPOINT, Idaho –– Six children, believed to be armed, refused to
                 leave their rural home and instead released a pack of dogs on sheriff's
                 deputies who had arrested their mother, authorities said.

Deputies retreated from the house after a two-hour standoff Tuesday and
                 were pondering their next move Wednesday.

"I told them, 'We're just going to defuse it, we're leaving,'" Sheriff Phil
                 Jarvis said. "I'm not going to get into a Randy Weaver thing."

In 1992, at nearby Ruby Ridge, the wife and son of white separatist
                 Randy Weaver were killed during a standoff with federal agents.

The children, ranging in ages from 8 to 16, would not respond to calls
                 from social workers or law enforcement officers. A 19-year-old sister
                 who left home has been assisting authorities.

"We know there are six children in there and guns in the house. The kids
                 are trained to use the guns," Jarvis said.

More than 20 dogs have been running free at the scene, Jarvis said.

"They hunt. They pack like wild animals," Jarvis said. "They took down a
                 moose a little while ago."

The home lacks power, water and heat. The children are in the care of
                 their 16-year-old sister, Jarvis said.

The incident was triggered by Tuesday's arrest of the children's mother,
                 Joann McGuckin, on a warrant charging felony injury to a child.

Authorities believe McGuckin, 46, is mentally ill. Her husband died more
                 than a week ago, Jarvis said.

Deputies returned to the home to get the children and put them in the state
                 custody, but one of the boys ran to the house and yelled, "'Get the guns,'"
                 Jarvis said. "They let all the dogs out of the basement."
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 1:33:27 PM EDT
[#1]
haven't heard anything on the local news, if I hear anything I'll keep ya posted.

idaho-ar15
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 1:35:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Who let the dogs out...

Bradd
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 1:37:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 1:51:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 1:57:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Those are some good kids. Hope they don't run over the house with a tank.

radioman
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 2:22:11 PM EDT
[#6]
All right!!! Somebody has some guts to stand up to the authorities!! Let's hope they don't take the same policy of "protecting the children" as they did usually do(waco and ruby)
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 2:27:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I heard that on fox news earlier today. Hope it works out well. No extra info, just that they got the mother out of the house and the kids are all trained shooters and are not leaving the house. Interesting to see how it plays out.
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 3:05:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Some of the US Code, Title 10, Chapter 13, section 311 members tried to get a Sandpoint, Idaho pizza place to deliver food and water to the kids but were told it is too far away. Same response from the local grocery stores.
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 3:24:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Lord, what a fool I am.

If thirty years ago, you'd have told me that there was a wicked Old-Testament-type religious madman with guns holed up in a church near Waco, Texas, along with some children, I sure would have feared for the safety of those kids!

But if you added that an elite team of FBI agents had surrounded the church, and that the very name of that elite team was the 'Hostage Rescue Team', I would have been considerably relieved!

Why? Because thirty years ago I'd have told you that those hostage kids were as safe as if they were in their mother's womb (whew! talk about irony!).

'FBI ain't gonna let nothing, I mean nothing, happen to those kids.  You know that.'

Those agents would give their 'last full measure of devotion' to protect those kids from even the slightest danger from the madman.

Whatever it took, they'd bring the kids out safe and sound.  Without a doubt.

Now, when I hear that children are in the line of fire between the 'good guys' and the 'bad guys' I don't know what to expect.

And if you can get this old Church of Christer, John Bircher, 'Support Your Local Police', Reagan Republican, LSU Law School, 'law and order' kind of guy to begin to doubt the [i]bona fides[/i] of law enforcement officers, well, let's just say that more than a lot of innocent civilians died at Mount Carmel that windy, incandescent day in April, 1993.  

A lot of our faith in the righteousness of our police, our leaders, and our hopes for this Country died that day as well.  

Any chance that this could be reversed ended the day Sen. Danforth (Is HE still a Republican?) gave the FBI-JBT a clean bill of health on the whole debacle.

Schneider's negotiator recognized a hazard and asked, "Do you have any fire extinquisher systems?"...Schneider reported
that only one extinquisher was found.

"Somebody ought to buy some fire insurance," his negotiator said.
View Quote

from [u]The Ashes of Waco[/u] by Dick J. Reavis.

I guess that's supposed to be funny.

Eric The(IAin'tLaughing)Hun[>]:)]

Link Posted: 5/30/2001 3:35:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Creepy... It almost reads like an episode of the X-files. Feral dogs and feral kids.
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 3:44:16 PM EDT
[#11]
I'll take the kids off their hands.
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 3:48:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Offer them free piercings, tickets to a rap concert and s couple of hits of exstacy....they'll come out.

The only thing I hate worse than kids are parents.
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 3:50:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Imbrog|io:
Some of the US Code, Title 10, Chapter 13, section 311 members tried to get a Sandpoint, Idaho pizza place to deliver food and water to the kids but were told it is too far away. Same response from the local grocery stores.
View Quote

Were they of the organized or unorganized variety?
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 4:14:39 PM EDT
[#14]
View Quote

I wish someone would deliver me some pizza, I'm hungry!  BTW, hi I came over from AK-47.net :)
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 4:54:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 9:06:16 PM EDT
[#16]
uh, I hate to be the one who points this out but which one of your idahoers is gonna go down there and offer cover fire for the kids to evac them to a safety zone.  Don't let the state get these kids, they are citizens, not property.  They are cold and scared right now, so get down there and set up recon.  We can save these kids, If only we band together.

NSF
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 9:26:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Whats the deal? They owe back taxes or something, is the mom already convicted?? How about P.R. ing mom, sounds like the kids are fine, the bulls should go home so the kids can get themself some fire wood. mmmm moose sounds good, my brother brought some over rated right along with beef to me.
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 9:37:58 PM EDT
[#18]
I caught the last half of Bill Cooper's show tonight and he is mighty pissed at the situation. He said that if none of the locals attempt to prevent the kids from being taken into custody, he was going down there and even give his life if need be to stop them.

Link Posted: 5/30/2001 9:39:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Were they of the organized or unorganized variety?
View Quote

Unorganized.
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 9:46:04 PM EDT
[#20]
View Quote

Why didn't they get off their fat asses and deliver it themselves?

Btw.  If the local stores are refusing to help get these kids food, its sounds like we arent getting the whole story, sounds more like this family burned their bridges with their community sometime ago.  Sandpoint Idaho doesnt sound like too big a place, when some kind of tragidy like this happens in a small town it is most unusual for the locals to stay away- they are usually there before the "authorities" are.

No theres something in how this mess got started that we aint being told.

I do admit that it is heartening to see some young people standing up for themselves... but on the other hand God help the foster parent that has to watch over them till their Mom gets out!  Christ how do you watch over and dicipline kids after they have the experience of sending the law packing, most of them are still under age...
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 10:03:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Only in Bonner Co.!!! If anyone has ever been there it's a unique place. This incident takes place near civilization at least. 27 wild ferocious dogs unleashed on deputies !! Would have loved to see it live !
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 10:43:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Why didn't they get off their fat asses and deliver it themselves?

View Quote

Maybe because they don't live in Idaho.
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 10:57:42 PM EDT
[#23]
[b]In 1992, at nearby Ruby Ridge, the wife and son of white separatist
Randy Weaver were killed during a standoff with federal agents.[/b]

[b]Murdered[/b] in cold blood by federal agents!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eric The Hun........Nice Post. [:)]

Link Posted: 5/30/2001 11:10:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Whats really weird is that I live there, albeit away at college right now, and haven't heard a word about it yet.  Nothing ever happens that gets us on the news.  I hope things turn out for the best but I seem to remember this place called ruby ridge that is not 20 mins north...
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 11:17:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 11:23:46 PM EDT
[#26]
break out the marshmellows cuz I smell a martyr roast.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 7:28:07 AM EDT
[#27]
On the front page of the local paper today is a pic from the kids property. The pic shows a piece of metal that looks to be 3'x6' with the words spray painted "please honk, dogs bite" at least there was warning that they had dogs. LOL

idaho-ar15
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 10:20:08 AM EDT
[#28]
You know, the only thing about this in the news this morning was the same wire service blurb that Imbroglio posted yesterday.  Did they give up and go home?  Figured CNN would be camped out on their doorstep by now.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 10:49:29 AM EDT
[#29]
As of right now it is still going on. A US Code, Title 10, Chapter 13, section 311 member, contacted someone that lives in the area and was told that the kids' situation isn't as bad as the AP is making it out to be as they still have food, water and power at the house.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 11:01:10 AM EDT
[#30]
WHAT?????? The media is embellishing facts????? Say it isn't so!

It would be nice to know the truth here. Pretty sad state of affairs that I almost always assume the government and media is not being truthful when events like this happen.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 11:04:47 AM EDT
[#31]
it seems this could possibly been an attempted land grab.mmk  [url]assaultweb.net/ubb/Forum1/HTML/205715.html[/url]
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 11:24:06 AM EDT
[#32]
Anyone else remember the Shirley Allen case a couple years ago? The cops did the same thing to get her off of her property by accusing her of being psychologically unstable.
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 7:52:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Go here to find out what the local news has to say, it is somewhat more informative than the national news:
[url]http://www.spokesmanreview.com/NewsTrak/newstracks.asp?Direc=lists&ID=L94[/url]

This piece was very informative: [url]http://www.spokesmanreview.com/news-story.asp?date=053101&ID=s971470[/url]

Link Posted: 6/1/2001 8:30:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Anyone else remember the Shirley Allen case a couple years ago? The cops did the same thing to get her off of her property by accusing her of being psychologically unstable.
View Quote

That poor woman was put through Holy Hell!!! It was her greedy ass relatives that wanted her put away, she had some money & land that they wanted. All she wanted was to be left alone to live her life the way she wanted.

The LEO's put cameras around her property, shined huge lights on her house all friggin night, tear gassed her, or should I say attempted to, she covered her skin with vasoline (I think), they cut off her power & water, she had a large stockpile of food & water, (smart woman) they shot her with those hard rubber bullets, (she was wearing several layers of clothes), set one of their friggin attack dogs on her, (which is the only funny part of the story, when the dog went for her it was shot,not killed, and Mrs. Allen was accused of shooting the 4 legged officer. It was later proved that the dog was shot by one of the LEO's.  The list goes on & on.

After it was all said & done, after passing all of the competency tests, with a good attorneys help, she now lives at home again, back to the same lifestyle she lived before all of that shit started.  

Things like that just make me utterly sick. The taxpayers shelled out several hundred thousand dollars just to harrass an innocent, quiet, peaceful woman.

Rotten bastards!!!

COLTSHORTY

GOA KABA COA JPFO SAF NRA

"I won't be wronged,  I won't be insulted
and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do
these things to other people and I require
the same from them."      
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 8:32:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Hell. After burning up all that taxpayer funded practice ammo for years and years, plus practical experience, I bet Lon Horiuchi can outshoot them little kids easy. What's the big problem, anyway?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top