Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/30/2001 6:58:59 AM EDT
M1 Garand sold by Big 5 Sporting Goods:

"'M-1 Garand' Authentic World War II"
".30-06 Sporter Rifle"
"This Military Issue Rifle is in truly Excellent condition with a New Receiver!"
"Limited Quantities"
"Big 5 Sale Price: $549.99"

Going to check it out today or tommorrow. Sound like a rip-off?

(P.S. I'm well aware of the DCM garand sales, but I'm not sacrificing my pheasant hunt season to have my ass beat at a rifle competition and then be arrested for possessing an assault rifle. [Here in CA, they don't care about pre-ban/post-ban!])
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 7:06:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 7:07:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Fulton Armory MAKES Garand receivers?  When did this start?
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 7:08:43 AM EDT
[#3]
DO NOT buy a Garand that is on a "new receiver" no matter who made it for any more than $350.00.

Any Garand that has been cut on should be considered a shooter and nothing more. If the rifle were original that would be a good price.
Otherwise, for that price stay away....
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 7:09:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Be afraid. Be VERY afraid.

They claim its "authentic WWII" AND that it has a "new receiver??"

They don't even lie very well.

Probably one of those Century receivers. NO WAY its a fulton Armory ANYTHING, based solely on price.

Why pay $549 to them, when you can pay CMP $500 , and get a true Garand???
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 7:13:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By world wolf:

(P.S. I'm well aware of the DCM garand sales, but I'm not sacrificing my pheasant hunt season to have my ass beat at a rifle competition and then be arrested for possessing an assault rifle. [Here in CA, they don't care about pre-ban/post-ban!])
View Quote

First, you only have to shoot ONE match (that's ONE Saturday expended) to qualify for a CMP Garand.

Second, NO WAY the Garand is an assault rifle. No pistol grip, no detach mag, no flash suppressor. And to my knowledge, Commiefornia hasn't passed any legislation outlawing the Garand specifically. In fact, many sellers specifically name the Garnd as a viable alternative for POW's in Commiefornia.
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 7:18:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

First, you only have to shoot ONE match (that's ONE Saturday expended) to qualify for a CMP Garand.

Second, NO WAY the Garand is an assault rifle. No pistol grip, no detach mag, no flash suppressor. And to my knowledge, Commiefornia hasn't passed any legislation outlawing the Garand specifically. In fact, many sellers specifically name the Garnd as a viable alternative for POW's in Commiefornia.
View Quote

Only DCM rifle I got is an AR, and it dosn't matter what I do to the grip, it will always be an assault rifle according to Lockyer. Changed the grip, thought I was fine, then found out after it was too late to register that ALL AR15s are illegal in CA, no matter what bells and whistles they're missing.
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 7:34:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Only DCM rifle I got is an AR, and it dosn't matter what I do to the grip, it will always be an assault rifle according to Lockyer. Changed the grip, thought I was fine, then found out after it was too late to register that ALL AR15s are illegal in CA, no matter what bells and whistles they're missing.
View Quote

An AR15 [size=6] IS NOT [/size=6] a Garand.

Different caliber, different era, different function, different everything.

The Garand IS legal in Cali. I'm QUITE sure.
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 7:34:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 7:55:28 AM EDT
[#9]
The Garand does NOT have a detachable magazine. This is the key. That is why the only "AR Style" rifle legal in Kali has a fixed 10 round mag and is loaded from the top by stripper clips after breaking the rifle like a shotgun.

Only buy genuine Garands. They are Springfield Armory and Winchester(WW2 Production) and Harrington & Richardson and International Harvester(Post WW2 Production). These are the ONLY genuine Garands.

There is talk of Springfield Armory again producing Garands but they might just be building kits on "new" receivers from Century like everyone else. Springfield has already gone this route on their "new" SAR8 rifles.

The Garands on "new" receivers are a pipe bomb on a stock. DO NOT BUY ONE, THEY ARE PURE SHIT. Get the real thing, CMP is the best deal going and it won't last forever. Get in line or lose.
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 8:09:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Steyr,
Strange you should mention that, I just got off the phone with Springfield Armory.  Their rep advised me they are coming out with that rifle sometime this fall.  He said it would be brand new, he was very adamant that it would not have one used part on it.

Link Posted: 5/30/2001 8:20:08 AM EDT
[#11]
WTF is an authentic World War II sporter?
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 8:43:00 AM EDT
[#12]
ww-

These are the Century receivered Garands. The are POSs. They are not weapon, they are a hazard to any shooter's health who fires one. Do not buy one. If you're hard-headed and don't listen to what myself and others are saying, and you buy one anyway, so be it. You WILL regret it. If you're lucky, you may be able to get $250 out of it when you sell it off, and you will want to get rid of it, because it sucks. Can't state that forcefully enough. Stay away--FAR AWAY.

[url] www.odcmp.com [/url]
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 8:57:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 10:04:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 10:32:58 AM EDT
[#15]
An AR15 IS NOT a Garand.

[size=6]WE KNOW because we gots knowledge![/size=6][:D]
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 3:12:15 PM EDT
[#16]
As I posted in a recent thread featuring lines from well liked movie:
[b]RUNAWAY...RUNAWAY[/b]
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 3:34:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Whaoh guys, cool it.
World Wolf: If you want to commit suicide and make sure your family collects on the settlement, GO FOR IT! Just place your head on the receiver and pop off a few hot loads, you'll be gone before you can say "headspace problems." No one's the wiser.

radioman
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 3:35:36 PM EDT
[#18]
To get the CMP rifle you don't even have to attend a match if you are a vet and you have a copy of your DD214.
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 4:42:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
To get the CMP rifle you don't even have to attend a match if you are a vet and you have a copy of your DD214.
View Quote

Unfortunently, I lack the scrotal contents to enlist. If the army wants me they've got my selective service number. But anyways, thanks for the advice, guys. I won't be buying that garand anytime soon. Does anyone from CA know if they check for AW registration at DCM matches? It would seem like a cop would have to be suicidal to arrest someone for that in the middle of an event where everyone is armed with brutal, cop-killing sporter rifles. If not, I may just drag my AR down there and give it a whirl. Then I'll have a real garand in the bag.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top