Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/29/2001 1:46:55 PM EDT
I am considering making a ghille suit and was wondering if anyone here has made one themselves.  I've never tried to make one before and would appreceiate any advice someone might have.  Any pics would also be helpful.

I am going to use the following link as a guide:
[url]http://www.angelfire.com/fl3/randomactofpaintball/ghillesuits.html[/url]

Any better ways than this?

Link Posted: 5/29/2001 1:55:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 2:12:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I've made one for my own.  Basically it a trial and error process.  I used an old flight suit from work and sued a net on the back.  Use dental floss!!!!  It's as strong as any thread out there.  After that I started to tie on burlap.  Here's what I ran into after I finished mine.  It was heavy.  I used more burlap then I needed to.  I also wished I had put more color into it.  When you get done with your first one you'll be happy with it but you'll realize some things you could have done different.  And so it starts.  I'm working on my second now.  It takes a lot of time... be patient.  If you have any questions email me.  I'll see if I can find any of my pictures.  I use mine sometimes while playing paintball just to see how good it works.  When I first started using it I would freak out thinking they have to see me I'm 10' away.  
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 2:21:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I made one for turkey season and it worked great for that. One day I had six hen turkeys feeding right in front of me about 5 yds away. they were there for about 20 min. and never saw me. Keep in mind what kind of brush or terrain you will be going in. If the suit is all tan and your sitting in dark green bushes you'll stick out. Maybe make a couple of 'em and try something different on each one. I cut strips of woodland camo from a pair of worn out bdu pants. Hey, flat spray paint even helps sometimes. [(:)]

- bricklayer
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 2:40:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 3:13:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 3:20:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I spent the winter making my first one.  I just used it two weeks ago to harvest a turkey!!  It worked great!

I used a german hooded splater pattern jacket adn Rhodiesian Pants.  I then sewed on a Herring fishing net and glued all the attatchment points with liquid nails.   Then I "loop tied" bunches of burlap threads ( about 10 per bunch).  I used standard burlap from a garden centre as well as Brown, green and black from a local fabric store.

While hunting I stalked to within 20 yards of a whitetail and he did not see me.....but he did catch wind of me..

Good luck!!

Oh and Join the Yahoo club....there are some Aholes but most are ok
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 3:27:40 PM EDT
[#7]
I wouldn't advise using black in your ghillie suit.  If you look close, there is no foliage that is truly black.  What you think is black is really dark brown.  I play a lot of paintball and what I have noticed is people that have some sort of black on stand out in the woods.  Maybe it's because I'm looking for it I don't know.  Garand, what do you think?  
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 3:29:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Garand Shooter is right on the money...that's how we made 'em in the Army.

Bradd
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 3:30:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 4:25:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Garand Shooter:
Turn it inside out and get in it.(turning it inside out lets you access the pockets)...Cover the entire front with heavy canvas, and either cover the whole leg or just the knees and the elbow (it is important to mark the are while you are in it, as it won't be where you think it is).
View Quote

Sounds like you know your stuff but I've got a question(s)...Are you marking the inside of the flight suit to see where to attatch canvas reinforcements?  I mean, you do apply the neeting to the OUTSIDE of the suit right?  Also, what do you mean about accessing the pockets?[>:/]

Looking forward to the pics!
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 4:40:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 4:45:27 PM EDT
[#12]
OK!!  I get it now.  About the padding for the elbows, goes on the inside (really the outside) right?
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 4:49:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Another note - these things are HOT!  you'll sweat your a$$ off on a cool day, and they are murder in hot weather.  Make sure that you treat the thing with some sort of fireproofer, too, that burlap will go up like a torch.
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 5:01:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 5:11:59 PM EDT
[#15]
"I seeeeee...." said the blind man
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 5:14:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Garand Shooter-

May I ask which blends/ratios of Rit dye you use? I've completed 4 suits so far and have found a bag of Kelly Green with a pinch of Cocoa Brown produce a nice OD Green. Would you mind posting your Rit Dye formulas?

TIA!

-jsr75
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 5:25:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Remove any buttons that are on the pockets, they can get painful crawling around on the ground.
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 5:32:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 6:15:07 PM EDT
[#19]
I made my own also.  Mine is made from BDUs, since I wanted two piece to get in and out of easier.  I also made the same mistake as doorgunner, and added too much garnish.  Very heavy.  If it looks a little thin when you get about 1/2 way done tying on the garnish, it will most likely be just about right.  I used separated jute twine instead of burlap to avoid the time consuming job of stripping burlap.  Worked great.  I also used strips of extra BDU material cut about 1 inch wide to add to the effect.  That worked well also.  

LOTS of work, but well worth it.

SOL
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 7:14:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Can't go wrong with the above post, but I'd still like to add my .02cts. Look around at the surplus stores and find youself the desert night parka and pants. The parka is just a shell so it's no hotter than a pair or BDU's, and the hood is already there. The parka has strings at the bottom so you can tie the front to the back. You want a two piece so you can change the foliage (take the top off) as you move into different terrain with minimal movement. Plus you can fit it over your regular field clothes. You don't want to put it on until you at the area you plan on stalking.
For the different colors, use paint, but you need to incorperate the flora from the surronding terrain for it to have max effect.
Once you have it made (Garand Shooter is right on), tie it to you car and drag it down the road (no more than half a mile). What this does is scuff up the burlap/jute.
Just remember; a Guillie suit doesn't make you invisible, technique is what is going to make you a success. As one of our sniper school instructors loved to say; FREEZE! Your Preadator batteries have just ran out! Good stalking.
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 7:29:02 PM EDT
[#21]
I am working on mine now.  I have all the materials together just need to start working on it.  I have been trying out some test patches to get a feel for the technique of shredding and attaching the burlap.  I am going to make mine two piece to try to get a bit of extra ventilation also I can use only the top half for hunting if I choose to do so. Im sure it will take a while.  Im just going to take my time and see how it turns out.  
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 7:34:39 PM EDT
[#22]
I have found no "fast" way to shread burlap.  It's a one strand at a time job.  Here's another tip....  get a case of beer before you start.
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 4:01:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 4:10:32 AM EDT
[#24]
I perfer scotch.

I've joined the yahoo club & they have some great photos of the finished product but are lacking in the construction phases.  Does anyone here have any construction photos?  Once I start mine I'll be sure to take LOTS of photots.  

I might even post them if it turns out allright![:D]
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 11:03:20 AM EDT
[#25]
You may want to check out Bush Rags at http://216.147.90.75/index.html
They sell kits for $69 and the burlap is already shreaded for you!
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 11:48:18 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
You may want to check out Bush Rags at http://216.147.90.75/index.html
They sell kits for $69 and the burlap is already shreaded for you!
View Quote

I checked that link, and i think i'm sold.... has anyone tried this stuff? Does it work?

Shawn
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 12:38:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 1:05:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Take the time and make it yourself.  A friend of mine and I made our together.  He didn't work as steady as I did on mine then once seeing the finished product he rushed to get his done.  Although his worked he had many problems with his that could have been avoided had he taken his time and done things right.  Plus it's much more rewarding to see that bad assed thing hanging up.  Then you friends come over, ask about it, and you tell then how much trouble you went through to make it.  Trust me, just take the time!
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 12:56:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I have found no "fast" way to shread burlap.  It's a one strand at a time job.  Here's another tip....  get a case of beer before you start.
View Quote

Thats an easy one!!

Its why children were invented!!

My son had a great time "helping daddy"!!  Gotta love them!!
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 1:58:30 PM EDT
[#30]
REAL Ghillies are Built Not Bought

do it like the military does and make your own, you can tailor it to the terrain you will wear it in.
my bro made his and i might have some pics up in a couple days. what we learned was burlap Sucks, its flammable and you MUST treat it (as does the military) and it Frays -- everywhere. i also dont like the commerical ghillies that ive seen, they look like they are put together with store bought knitting yard, and the burlap ones have perfectly cut rectangle strips (this doesnt look natural IMO)
i think various shapes and sizes and lengths of strips should be used, and from various types of material. you could even tear apart old clothes/bdu's or rags that are the proper color and make a good ghillie from that. you can also dye and paint the strips to get the color you need. attach fake grass from thanksgiving decorations or go to the surplus store and buy a cheap hunting blind that can be torn and tied onto the ghillie netting.

really get creative and take your time
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top