Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/28/2001 3:00:37 PM EDT
Hi,

Looking for some feedback on people that have 7.62x39 AR15's....

What do you for a mags that works well ????

I have some of the USA mags and they are ok. Some work and some don't. I am reworking them, but they are a frail mag...The Colt mags I understand were not all that great. Somebody mentioned some Scherer mags, but have not found out much about them...

Did a manufacture or company make a 7.62x39 AR15 mag as tough as a AK47 mag????

Anybody have a techique to reinforce USA mags? Got my own thoughts, but looking for indivduals that may have already gone down this path....

I would like to thank you for your input....

Dan Tucker
Upstate NY
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 4:13:10 PM EDT
[#1]
[img]mediaservice.photoisland.com/auction/May/20015286550560976196885.jpg[/img] It is hard to see from the photo, but the rear of the follower rise is filed to a 45 degree angle ramp.  It seems bolt overs are an inevitability, and the 90 degree rear of the follower riser catches the bolt which accounts for mag damage.  the spring will probably need repositioning to put more force on the front of the follower also.

Good Shooting......Turbo
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 2:20:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Hi Turbo,

Is that a .223 USGI mag or a USA 7.62x39?

I have been thinking about how to put more pressure on the front of the follower. I may build a spacer or try some different springs...

Anybody know much about these Scherer mags, part AR top and AK bottom????

Thanks,
Dan Tucker
Upstate NY
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 2:46:42 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't have one but I found this item up for auction. The description says its a factory colt 7.62 mag I'm going to assume its better than any other...
[url]http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1149718895[/url]
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 3:38:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Triple K is the way I went, scarce as a hens tooth these days but not unheard of. Bench vise and small die grinder. Bench vise to squeeze to proper width and die grinder to increase size of the area in back of the mag where the bolt strips the round from the mag. Do this in small steps, load 4 or 5 rounds in mag and do rapid fire test. When you can fire these with no malfunctions you now have a good mag. I have 10 of these that work flawlessly.
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 4:56:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Until I sold off my upper, I had a few of the USA 75rd drums which seemed to work well.  If you can find them, even though they're USA's, I'd say get them.  Even if they don't work, they can probably be fixed.
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 11:55:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Hi,

Anybody got a source for Triple K 7.62x39 AR15 mags?

Thanks,
Dan Tucker
Upstate NY
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 12:52:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 3:53:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Hi Waldo,

Well then the mags I have may not be USA????

A AK mag you could drive nails if you needed to. The beer can mags I have, do have fragile top lips....

GOt a picture of what your refering too???

Thanks,
Dan Tucker
Upstate NY
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 4:58:30 PM EDT
[#9]
a USA franken mag fragile ?!?! lol, I accidently ran over one of mine and it still works fine.
Actually that is the only USA mag I will reccomend to anyone for anything.
Double check that manf. They are the ONLY mags I use in my 7.62 upper. Weapon has an odd profile with them though. Buuuuutt ugly, But man the kick gives me wood.
Get them if you find them, they seem to be getting scarce.
jneal
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 8:35:43 PM EDT
[#10]
i've tried USA,triple k, colt but not scherer, they all feed miserably. anyone want to buy this gun?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top