Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/28/2001 7:25:43 AM EDT
I have seen adds in the back of road and track adn such advertising the License plate covers that hide your plate fom traffic camera angles?
Any experience or knowledge on the subject would be appreciated.

I just moved to VA and they are already taking enough of my money..
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 7:46:37 AM EDT
[#1]
I have no personal experience, but a friend of mine at work told me he had one in LA and at more than slight angles they reflect light so as to produce a reflection.
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 8:52:29 AM EDT
[#2]
They work well enough for Canada to make them illegal.
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 10:02:07 AM EDT
[#3]
They are "reasonable suspicion" to institute a traffic stop. So unless you want to get pulled over everytime you go into a Fiefdom that has Big Brother cam. Dont waste your time.

Also, they take the plate too. So you'll waste money as well. D.
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 10:21:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 10:28:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Anything covering any portion of any lettering on a plate in NY is illegal. That includes the smoked plate covers, clear plate covers and the anti-RADAR photo covers you mention. I am sure almost every state has a similar law on the books.
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 1:16:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Most states in my area have a visibility requirement for plates.  They are supposed to be readable up to 200 ft.  Any cover(especially the smoked ones) Is PC for a stop and possibly a cite.
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 1:20:35 PM EDT
[#7]
You might as well just take the plate off and quit playing stupid games.

If something that basic is probable cause, what rights do we actually have, then?  Every time I see a cop, whether I'm doing anything wrong or not, I know I may get pulled over.  
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 8:42:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Well trick, you can probably blame that particular law on some guy like the thread starter, who probably tried to get one over on  officers. Result: a new law. Bottom line is, a plate must be readable. You cannot attempt to conceal the plate from being observable.
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 9:42:02 PM EDT
[#9]
[size=5]3[/size=5] + the right color tape = [size=5]8[/size=5].  Get it?  You gotta be accurate & artistic!
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 1:55:42 PM EDT
[#10]
What I was referring to are the clear license plate covers that obscure the tag when viewed from an angle(hence a camera mounted up high). If a LEO was behind me the tag is clearly visible, and he would have no idea it was one intended to conceal from a camera. I agree those smoke ones you get from pep boys are asking to be pulled  over.
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 2:36:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Someone sold a "armorall" type spray for the license plates that is supposed to produce a big glare in photographs. I don't know what it was called or if it was legal, but I heard that it did work fairly well.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 12:47:42 PM EDT
[#12]
The software used by the commerical companies that analyze the photos can "see" through the reflective plate covers. I was in court two weeks ago and saw a driver lose a case for having a cover obscure the plate. The revised statutes are pretty clear in most states that the license plate MUST be visible.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 12:55:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Well, I should be able to keep up with the ticket writers in technology.  Otherwise, what fun is being a traveling salesman, doing 50,000 miles a year.  I think we need a law in Florida where only tourists get tickets. Oh, then we'd be Mississippi! [8D]

Isn't it Texas where you can buy speeding coupons?  I thought I read that somewhere.  At least Florida roads are straight enough for me to get an extra hour of sleep between Tampa and Ft. Lauderdale!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top