Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/27/2001 7:36:37 PM EDT
I have a brand new XM15E2S, Bushmaster Shorty AK that is constantly jamming. When charging the first round goes in just fine, but the second jams, every time. The round gets wedged between the bolt and the barrel. The bolt pinches the shell just below the neck. My brother in-law bought the same type of rifle and has the same problem. I use the same mags and ammo in my colt AR and have no problems. Any ideas? Anyone else having this problem?
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 7:55:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Try a different mag. Have never had a jam with either my shorty or DCM, even with the factory furnished "frankenmags". If different mags don't work, send it back. Their customer service is good.
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 7:59:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Is the first round chambering the same way the second round is?
Also are you using Orlite mags? That was the only feeding problem I had with my Bushy AK Shorty.
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 9:26:49 PM EDT
[#3]
most likely an ammo/mag problem
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 11:15:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I had the same exact rifle and the same exact problem at one time. I found that Federal American eagle ammo cut the problem down alot. Also the more I shot it the less it happened. So try that ammo shoot it alot and clean after every trip to the range and this will cease to exist. This went on for about 500 rounds. I have no explanation why this happens.

Six
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 7:35:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Is the first round chambering the same way the second round is?
Also are you using Orlite mags? That was the only feeding problem I had with my Bushy AK Shorty.
View Quote

The first round chambers fine. But after the first one is fired the second one jams every time. I have tried several different types of mags, no orlite, all metal, and several different types of ammo.
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 7:58:03 AM EDT
[#6]
I have the exact same rifle in the 20" version...

I also had feeding problems, but it was with specific ammo...

I tried using Winchester 45gr varmint rounds, and they jammed exactly as you described, only it jammed in all my AR's...
It seems the bullet jacketing is so thin, when it's pushed through the locking lug/ramps, it gets wedged between the lugs...some or most of the misfeeds resulted in the bullet being shoved way down into the case, so far,as to allow the powder to fall out of the shell when you turned it upside down...
Just to be on the safe side, I removed the barrel from the upper receiver, and used a dremel polishing tool to de-burr the edges of the feed ramps.
I also went back to the South African PMP 55gr FMJ ammo. I've NEVER had a failure of any sort while using this brand of ammo...

Good luck! and don't give up...
Bushaster makes a fantastic rifle, and I believe your troubles can be easily resolved...Just be patient...

You'll get a lot of replies on this topic...

ART
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 8:20:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Orginally posted by dragracerart:
"I also went back to the South African PMP 55gr FMJ ammo. I've NEVER had a failure of any sort while using this brand of ammo..."
View Quote

I was using South African 55gr FMJ (Boxes marked 5,56 x 45mm BALL M1A3) and had the problems with jamming.  One round jammed so bad it forced the bullet back into the case probably 10mm.  The firearm was clean prior to our trip.  An additional symptom we notice is failure to lock the bolt back after the last round.  Probably occuring 97% of the time, however, if you hand charge the bolt with an empty magazine, the bolt will stay open 100% of the time on all magazines.  (I tried it with 7 different mags).  Don't know if that is relevant or not.  We were speculating about short blowback of the bolt and wondering if that might cause the problem.

djwhit3's brother-in-law, Vent
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 8:28:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have a brand new XM15E2S, Bushmaster Shorty AK that is constantly jamming. When charging the first round goes in just fine, but the second jams, every time. The round gets wedged between the bolt and the barrel. The bolt pinches the shell just below the neck. My brother in-law bought the same type of rifle and has the same problem. I use the same mags and ammo in my colt AR and have no problems. Any ideas? Anyone else having this problem?
View Quote

djwhit3,
You need to be a little more specific:
1.) What kind of magazine(s) are you using?  (very important)
2.) What type of ammo have you tried?
3.) Did you clean the weapon, even though it's new?
4.) Was the first round properly extracted and ejected?
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 8:42:54 PM EDT
[#9]
My brand new Bushmaster shorty did the same thing for about 30 rounds, I was fortunate to have had an M16 armorer working at the range who told me to oil it up, and break it in. After I fired about 30 more rounds, It was broke in, and has not failed since. I have well over 2000 rounds down range now without a failure. Also,....The politically correct 10 round magazine that comes with the rifle is a "jam-o-matic", mine is only used as a dust cover now.  I was told that the Gov. issue rifles sometimes have 500 rounds through them for break in before they are issued, your Bushmaster likely was only test fired a few times.
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 8:46:21 PM EDT
[#10]
I had a similar problem with another brand. I turned out that the barrel extension was screwed too far into reciever. This caused the round to get jammed into feed ramp and not chamber. Look at the barrel extension and see if it seems to be in to far. Only solution for this problem is either have gunsmith polish down feed ramp or have barrel taken out and put back in. Since it is a new rifle I would send it back to Bushmaster and have them look at it.

NO SLACK!
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 8:58:36 PM EDT
[#11]
djwhit3..Do as WhoMe says above, and include:
-does the mag have the green follower (GI issue)
-Is the mag fully loaded or just a few?
Sounds to me like the mags are the issue.
From my experience using AR's since '81,if the AR is assembled using quality parts and they follow rigorous QC, the rifle will fire anything using only GI issued mags(Orlites too!).
I was given about 20 Thirty round GI mags by a fellow AR owner who said the mags were defective(Sanches,Okay's,etc.).  They all had the black followers and they all gave the identical problem that you have. After replacing the black followers with the green ones they all worked wonderfully.
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 9:34:13 PM EDT
[#12]
After break in, My Bushmaster has no problem with any GI issue mags, no matter what color follower. I even have one of those P.O.S "USA Magazines" 40 rounders that works flawlessly.
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 9:36:27 PM EDT
[#13]
OKAY, where are all the colt shills chiming in with your (see ya shoulda bought a colt) crap ? I have had similar experiences with several different brands, and 95% of them were mag/ammo related.

[x]

Link Posted: 5/28/2001 10:07:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 10:18:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Butkus 51:
OKAY, where are all the colt shills chiming in with your (see ya shoulda bought a colt) crap ? I have had similar experiences with several different brands, and 95% of them were mag/ammo related.
[x]
View Quote

[smoke]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top