Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/27/2001 4:43:13 PM EDT
I was just wondering which is more accurate.  A savage arms tactical (.300 winchester mag), or a remington 700 sendero (also in .300 winchester mag).  I am considering purchasing one of these, and naturally I want the most accurate one.  Any other suggestions for the price? (between $500 and $800 and .300 win mag)

13th Monkey
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 4:46:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Gun Tests prefers the Savage over the Remington. Savage is really trying to imrove their reputation.
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 4:49:58 PM EDT
[#2]
There was an article in American Rifleman (or is it going to become Rifleperson) that compared all the major manufacturers some time ago.  The Savage was the most acurate out of the box reviewed.  

I bought a Sendero (Rem) in 7mm Mag. and it shoots pretty good though.
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 6:16:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Both are good buys for the $$$$.  More accessories and g'smiths for the 700; better ambi reach on the safety on the Savage.  Maybe better resale with the Remington.  I have shot both, owned a Rem in .300 WinMag and find the 700's stock to be a little more comfortable for me.
[X]  [X]
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 6:26:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Accuracy with the Remington is a pretty sure thing.  Savage is problematical.
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 7:12:51 PM EDT
[#5]
If you're looking for a "bench gun" the Rem 700 is the action that most of the hot guns are built on. The standard trigger on the Rem is pretty good, fully adjustable even though the factory says don't adjust it.

Savage has a somewhat rougher trigger, which can be easily replaced.

Either gun is a good buy.
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 7:16:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Any details to back that up?
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 7:23:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Out of the box the Savage is one of the most accurate.I believe it has to do with the way the barrel is put on.However it is not near as smooth as the Remington.I would say a good Remington is more accurate than a  average Savage.Big diffrence in price.I built a scout on a left handed 11 Savage.Only because lefthanded short action Remingtons are like baby pigeons.There around but you never see one.500 is high for a Savage.I paid 283+ tax for my 11FL
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 7:52:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Any details to back that up?
View Quote

HAHAHAHAAAAAA. There is never any backup for
statements like that.
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 8:02:29 PM EDT
[#9]
They are both bad guns. The remingtons AD when you turn the safety off and the savage bolts break.
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 10:28:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Imbrog|io:
They are both bad guns. The remingtons AD when you turn the safety off and the savage bolts break.
View Quote

bolts break? what? how? thinking about getting one. smaller cal. than 300mag
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 10:32:10 PM EDT
[#11]
The biggest problem with the Remington AD is people fartin around with the adjustments.They make it lighter than the factory trigger was ever meant to be.Reduces the sear engagment till you have an AD.
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 10:34:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Oh I was just adding that for the sake of argument.

There are reports of a pin or something breaking which secures the front end of the bolt. I am not sure how widespread it is or if the problem has been resolved, but I heard of it happening more than a few times.
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 7:32:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top