BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 7:41:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Gus had it right, that was my point.  Imbroglio, if you don't have anything meaningful to add to the conversation at hand, other than to throw out the same one-liners that we've all heard before, why don't you keep your cake-hole shut?  I think everyone here feels the same about the federal gun-control laws.  Why don't you get on HCI's website and pop off to the folks who need it?  You're just insulting everyone else's intelligence here.
View Quote

Who the hell died and made you emperor? YOU insult me with your bullshit complaining. I do not need you or anyone elses permission to tell the truth.
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 8:17:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't beilieve that a DIAS permits you to add preban features to a post-ban rifle. Only a registered receiver gun can be set up anything-goes.
View Quote

Nope - as long as a registered DIAS is in the gun its ok.  There's no real logic here, its just the way the statute is worded.  In defining "assault weapons" in the 1994 AWB, Congress defined them as SEMI-AUTOMATIC rifles, pistols, etc. Once that registered sear is in the gun, it is no longer semiautomatic and thus is not covered by the statutory definition of an assault weapon covered by the 1994 AWB.  This is also why SBR's and SBS's, although NFA wapons, still have to comply with the AWB; they are still SEMI-AUTO.

I do not know all the particulars but yes you can travel with it but...you need to fill out a
form to obtain permisson to do so. I forget the number but I have heard that they (ATF), will return this one quickly and you can even get an extension for up to a year for a location you frequent
View Quote

The form is a 5320.20 and takes about 60 seconds to fill out.  BATF is usually pretty good about processing them and getting your form bacck to you, but its good to get it sent in several weeks prior to travelling.  I've actually had a BATF agent call my home at 8:30pm to get my fax number so he could fax it out because he didn't think it would arrive by mail in time for my trip and he wanted me to have an approved form before I left.  

And one more word on the DIAS v. reg. rec. debate...

I will admit the reg. receiver; especially a factory M16, is much more aesthetically attractive than a mere DIAS, but if you want to really shoot your gun and not have to worry about dinging it or hurting the factory original finish on your factory original MG, the DIAS is a great way to go.  I don't abuse my guns, but I do use them hard and I don't want to feel like I'm jeopardizing my investment by shooting it a lot or really putting it through its paces.  Today, for example, I was out in all the rain and mud shooting in a subgun competition.  I had to drop empty mags in water and mud, and at the end of the course, show clear and ground my weapon in a puddle. I have to wonder if a factory Colt M16 owner would shoot in those conditions or be too worried about the finish on their factory gun.  I'm sure some would, but as they continue to rise in value, I'm sure less and less guys would take that sort of chance with their investment.  With a DIAS gun though, you simply don't have to worry about damaging the finish or appearance of the expensive registered part.
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 8:32:37 PM EDT
[#3]
No Go in my county in Colorado, the Dem DA will not approve them for civvies.
(He probably saved me thousands of dollars and a marriage.)
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 9:11:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I definately want one I can shoot a lot and not worry about. Definately will want a looker at some point, but shooting comes first. Plus, I worry about theft - I can store a DIAS and trigger/carrier parts in a safe deposit box if I take a vacation. It's bad enough worrying about the semi's. By the time I get a receiver gun, I should have a better arrangement (I do have a safe, but I'd like something that's overkill).
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 9:23:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Hell Gus, you can leave a $4500 DIAS sitting on your desk, in plain view, and a thief probably wouldn't even know what it is.  Even if he did, its probably only worth about $100 to him since it can't transfer legally (and thats where the value really is...in the paperwork).
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 4:32:28 AM EDT
[#6]
shaggy,

Good point for the security features of the DIAS (easily concealable in a safe-deposit box or well hidden wall-safe).

Also, you could have "dress" and "shooter" host guns.

Beat up old carbine for the rugged stuff.

A real nice Colt "AR15-A2"/"SAFE-SEMI" with several "dress uppers" that you could have remarked (someone from the mid-west does this and is very good - can't think of the name right now).

He can remark the lower "M16-A2" and change it to "SAFE-SEMI-FULL". This is legal, just so the serial-number and manufacturer information (name/address) aren't fiddled with. Will probably cost a couple of hundred, but cheaper than a factory gun and looks as-good/better.

Even cheaper would be a lightning-link with a select-fire kit ($2,700 + $200 = ~$3,000) and the same host guns.

Just about the same price difference in platform jumps:
- $3,000 for lightning-link set-up (assuming you already have host gun and not considering re-marking)
- $4,600 for RDIAS (assuming you already have host gun and not considering re-marking)
- $5,600 for factory Colt M16 (left RR's out, since they start at about that price)
- $6,500 for factory Colt M16-A1
- $8,500 and up for factory Colt M16-A2

Heck, good arguments on both sides.

Link Posted: 5/28/2001 8:13:57 AM EDT
[#7]
drfcolt -

I hadn't thought of having a receiver remarked. I Don't think I would go that route though. I'd leave a sear gun looking plain and get a real receiver gun in addition. See what I mean about I must be nuts? Like I said though, I want to get to an overkill situation with my home safe before I have a complete $7k rifle stored in it...
I'm going to start doing a little local research to find out my CLEO's history of signing off on class III's this week. I do know a dealer in the area that might be able to shed some light on the subject for me, but he won't be open until tomorrow. There are some MG owners in the area so I have a feeling it won't be a problem. There are no skeletons in my closet so that shouldn't be a problem. Already have CCW and have held TS clearence most of my working life.
Link Posted: 5/28/2001 12:54:10 PM EDT
[#8]
gus,

If your nuts, reserve a rubber-room for me too.

I have a factory Colt M16-A1 configured as follows and I leave it in this configuration and never swap out uppers, nor remove the silencer (except for cleaning/Gemtech told me it doesn't hurt the bi-lock QD system to leave it on all of the time):
- factory Colt M16-A1 lower
- factory Colt 11.5" M4 Commando upper
- Gemtech M4-96D suppressor
- Trijicon Reflex II
[url]albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=258760&a=7202094&p=36020313[/url]

I wanted a suppressed Colt 9MM SMG. So instead of just getting another upper for my M16-A1, I have the Form 4's in for the following, which I intend to leave permanently in this set-up:
- EA-Wilson RR lower with Cross-Fire mag-block
- Gemtech Talon-SD suppressed 9MM upper
- Trijicon Reflex II
- Knights RIS/sling-swivel adapter/vertical K-grip

I also have an AR-15 based SBR that is my dedicated suppressed 22LR platform - very compact, very quiet, very accurate - and yes permantently in this configuration (the upper does have full-auto capability and will work as a 22LR MG on either the M16 or RR lowers):
- SGW-OLY pre-ban lower with Jewell trigger
- Accuracy Speaks upper with Ciener 22LR conversion
- Gemtech Hornet suppressor
- Trijicon ACOG TA50-4
[url]albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=258760&a=12559875&p=46389208[/url]

Guess I'm just too lazy to change uppers around on top of being nuts.

Just had the M16-A1/M4 Commando out today. Extremely controllable with the M4-96D (two and three round bursts with no problem) and no hearing-protection required. Looks like a million too, and man can it get rid of the ammo!!!!

Link Posted: 5/29/2001 6:09:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Well, I feel better now!! Oh well, I've begun selling crap on eBay so we'll see how it goes. First burst is $1k worth. Just testing the waters.....
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 7:38:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Yeah!  Next step. C3!  and why not?
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 5:16:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Well Imbroglio, I see you've set yourself up as the unassailable dispenser of 'The Truth'.  Nobody made me emperor, I'm just expressing my opinion the same as you.  My point still stands- you're just insulting everyone here with your constant one-liners.  Someone will ask a question, looking for a specific answer, and you pop off with your snide little comments that don't help address the original poster's question.  I think pretty much everyone here is on the same sheet of music about gun control laws, they really don't need your idiotic commentary.  I think you need to pull your head out of the guerrilla warfare manuals, turn off the computer and go get some exposure to the real world.  BTW, unless you have a chemistry background, I wouldn't try any of the recipes in those manuals.  Many of them will get you blown up.
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 9:33:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Look at all the fun you're missing out on.  Each little red circle is a bullet shell.  Hindsight being 20/20, I should have turned the camera flash off and let the shutter open for 5 seconds for a nice blast effect...

[img]http://www.justinsloane2001.homestead.com/files/ullmancircle.jpg[/img]

btw, this is my buddy from PRK, he never had so much fun
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 10:48:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Hey, as long as we're doing brass shower pics...

[img]wsphotofews.excite.com/012/sg/cr/AT/CE32632.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 6:06:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Whatcha got there Shag? Looks to be an UZI?  Should I bring some 9mm to Harrisburg too??
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 6:14:00 AM EDT
[#15]

Thats a buddy of mine with an SWD M11.  I can't tell (nor remember) if that was his gun or mine in the pic.  I'll bring that one, the Uzi, and maybe the 9mm M16... yeah, bring lots of 9mm...
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 7:17:50 AM EDT
[#16]
OOhhh man!! So let's see - about 1k of 9mm, 1k of .223, and, say, 500 of 308. Plus about 500 of 7.62, couple hundred of 45, YEAHHH!!!!
I'm definately looking forward to the shoot.

Raised almost $1k so far, and more to come from eBay sales. Gotta talk to a dealer friend of mine that has classIII experience to try to get a sense of how our CLEO feels about MG's. Should be able to make my final decision soon!!!  If I were the betting type, I'd bet that I go for it.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top