Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/26/2001 12:03:22 PM EDT
I shot my new Pre-Ban AR15 today. It would only allow me to shoot once and it would not eject the cartridge and attempt to load the next one. Once I took out the magazine and pulled the bolt back, it would eject it. It would do this everytime. I was wondering if you guys have any thoughs on what the problem might be.

Thanks!!
Link Posted: 5/26/2001 3:13:48 PM EDT
[#1]
new to you....right?
Link Posted: 5/26/2001 3:22:43 PM EDT
[#2]
What kind of mag?
Link Posted: 5/26/2001 3:42:45 PM EDT
[#3]
What kind of ammo?
Link Posted: 5/26/2001 3:52:03 PM EDT
[#4]
If the ammo is decent stuff that works in other AR's, and the chamber isn't damaged or too filthy to function, then check the gas system.

1. make sure the rings in the bolt are NOT all lined up.
2. if that isn't the problem, replace the gas tube.
3. if it still won't work, remove the front sight and clean out the holes in both the sight and barrel.

If you think the mag has something to do with the problem (unlikely), try loading a single round, removing the magazine, and THEN firing.  If it extracts, then maybe you have a magazine that's way too tall and is jamming things up.
Link Posted: 5/26/2001 7:34:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By 71-Hour Achmed:
1. make sure the rings in the bolt are NOT all lined up.
3. if it still won't work, remove the front sight and clean out the holes in both the sight and barrel.
View Quote

LOL, your kiddin right?
NO WAY!!!
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 10:02:12 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm using Parson Precision Products mags and Black Hills ammo.
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 11:59:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By 71-Hour Achmed:
View Quote

I believe the gas tube and hole is self-cleaning.  I have shot many rounds of the dirty 22LR thru my AR and I had no problem switching back to 223Rem. Functions just fine.

Maybe try diferent combinations of ammo and magazines.

If you still can't figure it out, call Bushmaster for a authorization to return your gun to them and let them check it out.

Link Posted: 6/7/2001 5:00:09 PM EDT
[#8]
I just received two extractort pins from Ed at Gunsmoke (free of charge). He told me that it sounds like I have a weak extractor pin. I'll soon find out.
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 8:21:04 PM EDT
[#9]
A buddy came with a BM VMatch heavy varmit barrel and he said it was a single shot because it would not eject the casing and if it did it would not pick up another round....I thought it may be his rings...when i pulled  out the bolt 2 of the rings were lined up---Is that enough to cause faulty operation as described above??????????   Dick
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 8:48:51 PM EDT
[#10]
The AR15 design has been known to function WITHOUT gas rings. The myth about the gas rings lining up and causing a malfunction is absurd.
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 5:04:36 PM EDT
[#11]
i'll go to the range before the weekend is over and i'll report back on how BM does with the rings not lined up.........Dick
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 7:52:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Try cleaning your rifle of all existing grease and powder.  Then try lubricating the action with corrosion block lubricant.  It's a blue colored lubricant that is very good and does not gum up.  Also try using colt magazines.  I hope it helps you out.  It works for me.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 8:18:58 PM EDT
[#13]
It could be the extractor slipping off the rim.  I just changed the spring on that one and solves the problem. Another problem can occur is the ejector could be frozen.  I found a small piece of metal in the ejector spring. Does anyone knows if that D ring product works?
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 9:23:43 PM EDT
[#14]
I had the exact same problem with a new pre-ban upper I purchased directly from BM.  Upon manually ejecting the 6th round, the front bolt carrier key screw ejected out of the weapon as well.  I sent it back, they fixed it promptly, and it has worked very well ever since.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top