Site Notices
7/29/2014 4:02:36 PM
Author
Posted: 6/15/2004 5:22:59 PM
Does anyone make a tow behind an ATV brush hog ?
Links please if you know of any .
Thanks in advance.
bluedogsixty
Man's best buddy!
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/15/2004 5:51:50 PM
Lots of companies make tow behind ATV mowers but I don 't know of a tow behind
brush hog. That would require a PTO from the ATV. I don't know if I would want to
sit in front of a real brush hog on an ATV. Sounds like an accident waiting to happen.
Powered by JRT...
badnews
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/15/2004 6:06:02 PM
yes dangerous stuff
happens every day
they make them
your right ---------------- boys stay home, a mans job
www.bushhog.com/turftoc.html
CAMPYBOB
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/15/2004 6:29:07 PM
do a search for "swisher".

i mowed my yard with a tow-behind finish mower last week...pulled by a polaris 330cc 4wd atv that the neighbors own.

it was a 60" cut model by a company named "haban", but i think they are out of business.

the cutting time was 1/3 of what my john deere 48" cut tractor takes...because the ground speed is so much higher.

as far as the brush hogs go, they are sweet. i've watched a small (3' model?) being used and it was doing a nice job. it had it's own motor. it waded thru the tall crap better than one of those old 9n's. many of the new atv's have an option for rear or midmount (or both!) pto shafts.

although i have no desire to own one, i gotta admit...the atv has become far more than a mere tool for recreation and hunting.

the tow-behind equipment requires an atv with low range and/or a water/oil cooler...although i will say this, that polaris cvt handled the 350+ lb. mower easily...it was hardly working and my ground is well sloped.

yes, badnews, it IS a man's job.

i use a 53hp allis-chalmers to pull a 5' tow-behind (2 wheels and hitch pull...not a 3-point mount. the tow-behind type keeps the tractor more stabile on the hills.) brush hog. it would take way more than flesh and bone to stop it turning.
badnews
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/15/2004 6:47:38 PM
CAMPYBOB
The Swisher link / idea was very good
I thank you ---------- much.
badnews
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/16/2004 7:00:53 AM
btt
fook
Team Member
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/16/2004 2:00:35 PM
The 60" Swisher with the electric start Honda engine is the way to go. As Campy says, it takes me about 1/3 the time to cut the patch compared to the 42" Murray.

The present tow vehicle is a Honda 350 Rancher, and is just right. The mower weighs about 600 lbs., so make sure your ATV has the proper hitch and weight rating.

Anyone who would like to come out for a test mow now through about Sept. is more than welcome...
bluedogsixty
Man's best buddy!
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/16/2004 2:23:06 PM

Originally Posted By badnews:
yes dangerous stuff
happens every day
they make them
your right ---------------- boys stay home, a mans job
www.bushhog.com/turftoc.html

I wasn't knocking what you are trying to do. You just don't have the protection being exposed or possibly getting knocked off. Yes, it is mans work. Be careful.

This is what I use: