Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 9:04:30 PM EDT
[#1]
It is things like this that make me opposed to all government schools.  

[principal] "Do they have metal forks in the cafeteria?  Somebody could put an eye out, better get rid of them "

[lunch lady] "Plastic forks are bad for the environment, can't use those either."

[principal]  "Let's make the food even mushier and nastier than they do at the old folks home.  Now they won't need forks at all.  We must also prohibit sack lunches, because students could use the bag to smuggle contraband."

[lunch lady] "But principal, they won't eat mush, and if they go hungry they can't learn"

[principle] "I get paid whether they learn anything or not, as long as things stay quiet.  Why do you think I pay all those union dues? - Carry on."
Link Posted: 5/25/2001 2:52:04 AM EDT
[#2]
As an European I don't normaly mingle in your internal affairs. However, how the school handled the situations in the Lindsay Brown case is beyond stupid. I just had to comment.
Luckily I found the principal's e-mail address in this thread.
I hope nobody feels offended by the enclosed letter.

Dear Sir,
I recently read the coverage on the Lindsay Brown suspension on the news-press.com website. I am a Norwegian living in Norway, and I read American newspapers mainly to improve my english. However, this particular case caught my attention.
In my opinion, your reaction to this situation manifests the sterotype image of the American society most Europeans have. Lack of the ability to compromise is your worst feature. Contrary to what you might think there is no black or white, only shades of grey.

I just hope you don't ruin your next generation by taking away their spirit by not being able to see things in perspective, or you will end up with a lot of recentfull kids like the desillusioned Lindsay Brown.

The world IS watching you.

Yours sincerely,

"name"
Oslo, Norway
Link Posted: 5/25/2001 4:14:55 AM EDT
[#3]
To all those armchair lawyers out there.  Depending on the wording of the statute, her intent, malicious or not is irrelevant.  Some laws, like stautory rape don't rely on intent.  I agree that the interpretation of the law is stupid however the law in gerneral is a good idea and what are we teaching the kids if there is selective enforcement of this or any law?  
Link Posted: 5/25/2001 4:15:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Welcome aboard, Combattronics.  Good letter.  A little too polite, maybe, but a good letter all the same.
Link Posted: 5/25/2001 4:19:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Now, I remember why I smoke.  Because I don't want to live forever.  
Link Posted: 5/25/2001 4:43:06 AM EDT
[#6]
He wil not get fired-he works for the government-he will get a raise and extra administrative leave.  after that the union will file a grievance against the school district and he will be on permanent disability and get full pay for the rest of his life for "emotional distress"
Link Posted: 5/25/2001 4:58:27 AM EDT
[#7]
My email:

"Lee County Schools are safe places precisely because our principals taken firm stands against any conduct that threatens the well being of students."

I submit, sir, that YOUR conduct has threatened the well being of your students.  They are not learning discretion, good judgement, fairness, or reason.  They ARE learning intolerance, blind obedience, fear of authority and that principals are adversaries.  Thanks a lot.

Not as militant as some, but there you have it.
Link Posted: 5/25/2001 5:31:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/25/2001 5:33:34 AM EDT
[#9]
[b]Quoted:
As an European I don't normaly mingle in your internal affairs.[/b]
View Quote
 why not? for the last 200 years we(the US)have stuck our nose's in everybody else's business.welcome to the board.mmk
Link Posted: 5/25/2001 6:16:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Ok, now who wants to vote for vouchers?!?!? Death to government education!!!
Link Posted: 5/25/2001 1:52:49 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd be curious to know how big a Hoplophobe she was before getting her own tit in the wringer.

Being an Honor Student, I would guess that she was a big weapons-hater. Wish I could talk to some of her fellow students and see how big a propagandist "activist" she was before finding out that the rules actually will apply to her!

D.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top