Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

A valid email is required.
Password is required.
Posted: 5/23/2001 8:39:24 PM EDT
How many of you have a C&R license and use them. Is it worth my time to invest the small fee to start a collection of old rifles. Thanks
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 9:19:43 PM EDT
Or, should I just leave the transfer to the real arms dealers. Too much action on the boards tonight.
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 9:30:01 PM EDT
I got my C&R back in January mainly because the choices of guns you can get here are getting slim and the prices are going up. I already have a couple mausers and a russian M44 and I really like them. For $69 to $109 delivered for a great gun with a lot of history (and being PC doesn't hurt) you can't beat it. The only drawback to C&R in Kali is that long arms under fifty years old and any pistols have to be transfered to a dealer like a regular sale along with the 10 day wait. This means that SKS for $179 ends up being 250 after transfer fees and dros. The big advantage with pistols though is at least you can get some old 45's, Makarovs, CZ's, etc, for a very good dealer price and just pay your local dealer his fees instead of his huge markup.
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 1:34:09 PM EDT
So the SKS still has to go through the FFL Dealer process?? Most of the ads in SGN list C&R or FFL required, and I thought this indicated it was legal for sale direct to a C&R. Perhaps I will drop Centerfire Systems and email for clarification. Thanks for the heads up.
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 1:38:43 PM EDT
I sent off for mine 24 days ago...cant wait to start getting some of those old military weapons.. NightRanger
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 5:28:28 PM EDT
The no handguns or rifles and shotguns less than 50 years old is a California law, not federal.
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 5:59:07 PM EDT
I finally got my C&R but now I have to wait some more because the$#@%$ ATF forgot to put the first letter on my last name. So now I have to wait for another license.
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 6:23:11 PM EDT
If you are going to buy old rifles (or old handguns) anyway, go for it, I highly recommend it. There are a lot of things covered under the C&R umbrella: M1 Garands and carbines, '03 Springfields, Russian SKS's, Mausers, Enfields, M1911's, Mosin Nagants, P-38's, Lugers, Makarovs, CZ50 and CZ52, Sistema Colts, Ballester Molinas, etc. There's just something so right about having a semi-automatic firearm delivered to your doorstep. And don't forget that many mail-order companies will give dealer discounts to C&R FFL holders... Brownell's and Midway for example. In return, all you really have to do is keep a record of the C&R's you buy and sell (something most of us do anyway). That's about it.
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 6:25:30 PM EDT
I applied for mine May 1st and I am drooling in anticipation. Others have warned me it is the road to the poor house and I can imagine. I have $600 of guns on my list for my first order.
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 7:50:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/24/2001 7:48:40 PM EDT by carlosg]
I sent my application last week, needless to say, I can't wait for it (I know it will take 60 days or more), it will open a new world for me, I have seen the other side, now I want to live there...[:D]
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 8:10:40 PM EDT
You need to keep a "bound book" and it's available to the BATF anytime. Downside of buying surplus guns online is that you don't get to pick/choose. I'll pay a bit more to pick them out and not keep records. C&R doesn't allow you to be a "dealer" only a collector. You can sell you stuff from the collection, but you can't go into the business of selling surplus guns. ALL bolt action rifles are considered C&R. Russian/Romanian SKS, Makarov are C&R. You can buy a bolt action rifle from a dealer with a C&R and not have to go through Brady, etc. $30 for three yrs. It's worth having if you buy guns.
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 8:18:04 PM EDT
Had mine since late last year. Not used it yet but I keep seeing some pretty good deals on the old Mausers and M44 carbines. Gonna have to use it now that you reminded me.
Link Posted: 5/25/2001 3:37:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/25/2001 3:38:00 AM EDT by drfcolt]
Brownell's gives a 25% discount to FFL holders, including C&R. That's the only FFL I have and they give it to me. Here's what I did: - establish an account on their web-page (free) - once you get your C&R FFL, e-mail Brownell's and send a [b]signed[/b] copy of your C&R FFL to them - they will ammend your account and you will see two prices when you look at stuff on their web page. The normal cost and your discounted cost. Well worth the $10/year for the C&R FFL. Just an added perk. I haven't tried for discounts at other places, may be some more to be had.
Link Posted: 5/25/2001 3:52:55 AM EDT
Midway gives C&R FFL's a discount? I knew about brownells but not Midway. Can someone else verify this? I've purchased a M44, 3 M91-30's and an SKS with my C&R. All in about 2-3 weeks time. heh. Nothing since then. I'd like to pickup a few C&R pistols but not sure which ones to get. Can someone make some good suggestions?
Link Posted: 5/25/2001 4:00:23 AM EDT
Where do I get my application? Is there somewhere online I can download/print it?
Link Posted: 5/25/2001 9:35:26 AM EDT
You can get ATF forms at the ATF site, :) or here [url]www.titleii.com/forms.htm[/url] Or just C&R click here --> [url]www.titleii.com/pdf/form7cr.pdf[/url]
Link Posted: 5/25/2001 10:26:21 AM EDT
Originally Posted By 7: Midway gives C&R FFL's a discount? I knew about brownells but not Midway. Can someone else verify this? I've purchased a M44, 3 M91-30's and an SKS with my C&R. All in about 2-3 weeks time. heh. Nothing since then. I'd like to pickup a few C&R pistols but not sure which ones to get. Can someone make some good suggestions?
View Quote
Well, after I sent them a copy of my C&R FFL, I started getting "dealer" catalogs, with discounted pricing. I know the other guys on the C&R mailing list ([url]http://www.shelfspace.com/~c-r-ffl[/url]) buy stuff from Midway at a discount all the time. Also, another poster stated that "all bolt-action rifles are C&R." This isn't quite true. The great majority of military issue bolt-action rifles are, but some aren't. Any doubts can be resolved by checking the ATF Curio & Relic list. Another thing that the C&R allows you to do -- not that I know anybody who's doing it -- is to buy commemorative, limited issue firearms using your license. I don't do that because those cost big bucks, and I hate having a gun I can't shoot. On pistols: EG Makarov, Star Model B, Ballester Molina, Inglis High Power, Sistema Colt, and there are probably a few others offhand that I can't recall.
Top Top