Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

A valid email is required.
Password is required.
Site Notices
Posted: 5/23/2001 4:58:18 PM EDT
I remember a photograph I once saw in American Rifleman, or some such gun mag, that I believe to be an excellent representation of our rights and duties as citizens, as understood by the Founding Fathers. The year was 1942, early Spring, and America had just been rudely shoved into the smack dab middle of World War II. Rumors of Japanese submarines and transport ships were rampant up and down the Pacific coast, but nowhere more so than in the remote coastlands and bays of the states of Oregon and Washington. That Spring, the civil authorities sent out a call for all able-bodied males between the ages of 16 and 45 to assemble at a logging camp near the Tillamook Bay, in Oregon, with their arms. Mostly local lumbermen and fishermen, they were well-acquainted with the coastline and were to be used as scouting parties to protect against any overt Japanese hostilities or clandestine operations. Well, someone had the foresight to set up a nice camera, I mean a really nice camera, and proceeded to take a photograph of the armed men at the logging camp. There must have been 5,000 or so, all armed with rifles and shotguns, and, on cue, they all raised their firearms in the air, and snap! The photograph is astounding - there are old geezers with percussion-capped rifles, trap-doors, young boys with 22s, father and son teams with bolt-action hunting rifles. And all gathered to defend their homeland against all enemies, foreign and domestic! It's [b]the[/b] poster for the Second Amendment. [b]Someone tell me they've seen this photograph, too![/b] We need to find it and get reprints. I've always thought that the photo was 'supressed' by the gubmint or liberal media, just because it was so inspiring and pro-gun. It needs to be reprinted in poster form. It has the potential for really burning the anti-gun groups if it were widely distributed (say, on the Web). Eric The Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 5:05:31 PM EDT
I like it! I would buy one. I know the area well as my Father was the BC at Fort Stevens 50-52.
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 8:58:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/23/2001 8:57:24 PM EDT by mib2000]
Contact this organization: Oregon Historical Society [url]http://www.ohs.org/homepage.html[/url]
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 7:11:54 AM EDT
I've tried all the websites I could think of that might have a copy of this photograph, but with no luck. Aren't there any Oregonian members on this board who might have a clue regarding this photo, and where it might be found? Eric The Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 7:42:55 AM EDT
I tried looking for you too. No luck.
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 7:54:18 AM EDT
Did you try Corvad? That's Bill Gates repository of a ton of photos. CrossEyed [sniper]
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 6:41:32 PM EDT
Here's an idea. The wife just made me a Tillamook brand ice cream cone! Some time back The Oregonian newspaper(never heard of an anti-gun law it didn't like!)had an artical on the Tillamook Gorillas. The picture I remember only showed a few men with lever actions, but they may credit where that picture came from. Article Finder/back issues (503)221-8242 Texts of articles also available from Dialog at 1-800-334-2564 or from UMI ProQuest through some local libraries, and at www.newslibrary.com Good Luck! let us know if you find the photo
Top Top