Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/23/2001 12:44:34 AM EDT

I have spent a couple hundred dollars with Paypal, and now they want REAL information....

These guys already have a VALID CC, and name, address, etc...

They want bank account info. I dont know about you guys, but to me thats just a little too much damn information for one group of service related strangers to have. JCPennys or Wal-Mart (Just for you SS), ALSO service suppliers have NEVER asked for my bank account. How much of a sheeple do they expect us to be? Follow them to database filling proportions? I dont think so. Does anyone else feel like this is just WAY too damn much?

As conveinient as it is, as lazy as I am, I am DONE with Paypal UNLESS there is an option. They have my CC, they get their money, thats enough as far as I am concerned.....

Link Posted: 5/23/2001 1:11:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Paypal has a limit when you start out. It might be $100 or $200. Once you hit that number you need to be validated with a real bank account. This is done for many reasons the main one being Credit Card Fraud is very easy to do over the Internet. If they have a validated Name, Address, Telephone Number and Bank account that matches all of the above it would be a good security measure to assume you are who you say you are.  don't know about you but if they didn't ask for all that info I think I would be worried. I have been using Paypal over a year and monitor every transaction and have NEVER had an issue or problem.I feel safe having people paying me for goods I sell on Ebay etc that I will have some recourse to go after the person if Fraud occurs.

John
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 1:15:16 AM EDT
[#2]
If they ever demand DNA, piss in their face!
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 1:30:31 AM EDT
[#3]
I use paypal frequently. I transfer sums of money up to 10,000 dollars to and from my regular bank account on a regular basis. Hell, they even sent me a debit/mastercard so I have instant access to my money, and give me 1.5% back on all my purchases to offset the fees they charge for their service.
The only way they require your checking account info is if you want to set up a premier account. No info required for a personal account. This also confirms your address, so that if you never receive what you pay for you can get your money back. I couldn't imagine not being protected from fraudulent sellers at the expense of not giving my bank info TO ANOTHER BANK!! It's that simple. Paypal is just another bank. It's just a helluva lot simpler than the "real ones" you have to drive to. They will even give you 3.5 % interest on your funds.
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 1:51:14 AM EDT
[#4]
I used the same credit card for Internet purchases for the past 6 years. I always used secure sites. About a year ago fraudulent charges began appearing on my statement (usually CD purchases in Europe). After about 9 months of this, I demanded that the credit card company cancel my card and issue me a new card and account number. They finally did, but I got the feeling they really didn’t feel it was necessary; just the cost of doing business I guess. I never paid for any of those fraudulent charges of course. In any case, anything they can do to prevent this kind of stuff is a good thing in my mind. However, at the same time I don’t feel comfortable giving my personal information away.
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 2:18:23 AM EDT
[#5]
The credit card option is just a convenient way to start using PayPal. To actually use PayPal for any large amount, you have to use electronic funds transfer.
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 5:24:52 AM EDT
[#6]
'Those who would sacrifice a little temporary freedom for  personal security deserve neither'.....

I KNOW you guys have seen this before.......

I am NEVER more amazed, then when I see my brothers in here, espousing antis rhetoric....

Same EXACT words, diff subject...
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 5:53:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Yep, I hate giving out to much info, but I feel it's worth it with PayPal.  The convience and protection it offers offsets the minor risks.

I now have the option of paying for things directly from my checking account or from a CC.  I can deposit payments directly into my bank account, no waiting for a check in the mail.

Overall, well worth it to me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top