Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2001 8:33:55 PM EDT
I acually called the ATF about the DIAS ads in SGN this past March. I was sick and tired of seeing those ads so I thought I'd ask.
I asked them if it was a sting or what?
Guess what? 4 out of 5 agents told me that they were legal for me to purchase. One of the agents was in the legal counsel division!!! Can you believe it!!!
I asked how I was suppose to prove it was a "pre" Nov 81 dias should I ever need to.
They told me the burden of proof rests on the seller not on the purchaser. I bet the guys that kick in my door in the middle of the night would inform me otherwise.
It wasn't untill I called the NFA branch in DC who referred me(because the didn't know) to the FTB (Firearms Technical Branch)division in DC
where someone was able give me a definate "Stay away from them, if they're not registered they're contraban" I acually had a nice conversation with the guy. He did say the atmosphere in Washington was much nicer under the Bush administration. They haven't payed me a visit since my inquiry but then again I didn't buy one.
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 8:43:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 8:48:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Did they ask if you own any AR-15 rifles?

It's probably true that the feds have more of a vested interest in going after people who make a profit selling things without paying the required taxes than in trying to bust people for owning something of borderline legality.

If you own an AR-15 and bought a "pre-'81" DIAS it wouldn't be very hard for them to make a case that you were conspiring to manufacture a machinegun without paying the required taxes.  Such a sting operation would be so easy to conduct, I wouldn't put it past them to do it and lie about it over the phone to bait you.

If you don't get information IN WRITING from those guys it's worthless.
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 9:00:07 PM EDT
[#3]
The only contact I've ever had with a BATF agent was a casual "hello" at a gunshow.  But from what I hear, the commander of your local field office has a lot to do with how they conduct their business in your area.  Around my part of the woods they've been pretty cool, at least that's what several FFL holders have told me.  However, this may be very different in other parts of the Republic, where there are different field office commanders.
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 9:14:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I was documenting ALL names,comments,times ect,
until I spoke to the FTB branch. Then I just tossed it.
I was getting kind of exited about getting a dias for less than $200. Oh well.
One guy even got mad at me after he read the law saying it was legal to own a pre Nov 81 dias. I said,"So I CAN legally buy one"??? He replied,"You didn't listen to what I just read, let me read it again"!! (He definatly had an attitude.)
That law doesn't say anything about no sear may be registered after May 86. Even if they were manufactured pre Nov 81 they are considered contraban if they weren't registered.
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 10:02:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I had several contacts with ATF agents back when I had my FFL, mostly due to firearms traces. All I spoke to were very helpful and polite.
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 10:14:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 12:03:54 AM EDT
[#7]
ATF is a tax collection agency. Always has been. The gun raids they do today are for show.
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 12:25:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
ATF is a tax collection agency. Always has been. The gun raids they do today are for show.
View Quote

I think your 100% correct. That would explain
why it took me so long to get an answer from them. I mean even the NFA branch kept passing the phone around.
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 4:34:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Pre-81 AR-15 Drop-in Auto Sears

[url]www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/user/wbardwel/public/nfalist/ar_15_auto_sear_faq.txt[/url]
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 9:37:10 PM EDT
[#10]
just think of pre 81 DIAS as a expencive paper weight or jail time depening on the way teh wind is blowing that day i think ill go and write a pen and paper snail mail letter and get a answer in writng cuz ive heard diffrent answers of course i really dont care if i wanted a DIAS id buy a registered one and not worry about it
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top