Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2001 6:19:23 PM EDT
I took my AR 10 to the range today for the first time and about half of the rounds wouldn't eject. When I looked at the empties the rim at the base was almost chewed off. This happened on several different brands of cases so I thought it had to do with my extractor spring. Am I close??
Thanks
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 6:40:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like a rough or dirty chamber, if the exrtactor is coming back with brass in it.  Does this happen with all brands of ammo or just one?
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 6:40:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I think another member had the same problem. He polished the chamber but I believe the board consensus was to send it back to Armalite for warranty repair.
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 7:39:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes I used several brands of brass(4) The empties just remained in the chamber.
The chamber wasn't dirty. The rifle was used but in 99% condition when I purchased it. I've owned ARs since 82 but I've never had this happen before.
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 9:26:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd call Bushmaster, also check their web site for tech advice & FAQ's

I don't know a lot about AR-10's, but in AR15's......

In-spec headspace is super-important.  Is it possible yours is out of whack?  Maybe it's time to have a gunsmith look at it.

Are you sure the bolt is closing all the way?

[b]"used several brands of brass(4)"[/b]
are these reloads?  too hot?

I would also wonder about the gas tube & key.

Whatever the cause, after several shots like this, I would also want to make sure the carrier and all parts are in new condition & if in doubt, get them replaced.

If you don't have go, no-go, & field guages, take it to a gunsmith who does.

The extractor spring is only supposed to go in one way.

Did you examine the brass for other signs of trouble (bulges, primer issues etc)?

[red]PRK

Link Posted: 5/23/2001 7:06:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Send it back to Armalite for warranty repair.
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 2:58:53 PM EDT
[#6]
If it is leaving the case in the chamber, it is most likely due to a rough chamber or some reamer chatter when they chambered it.  Polishing the chamber should cure the problem.
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 5:33:33 PM EDT
[#7]
I have the same problem after 40 rds or so.  After I clean my lover she fires fine until about 40 more.  I've cleaned and polished the chamber until I am ill.  I have replaced the extractor and spring also but I still get the occasional misfeed. I checked my headspace and it was within tolerance.  I noticed that some mags were more prone to the misfeed than others but that could easily be conicedence.

My latest effort was to realign the rings on the bolt because I noticed the gaps were alingned.  I have tried everything I heard here previously except replacing the gas tube. If you find something that works for you then please post here so I can try it.
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 7:59:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have the same problem after 40 rds or so.  After I clean my lover she fires fine until about 40 more.  I've cleaned and polished the chamber until I am ill.  I have replaced the extractor and spring also but I still get the occasional misfeed. I checked my headspace and it was within tolerance.  I noticed that some mags were more prone to the misfeed than others but that could easily be conicedence.

My latest effort was to realign the rings on the bolt because I noticed the gaps were alingned.  I have tried everything I heard here previously except replacing the gas tube. If you find something that works for you then please post here so I can try it.
View Quote

Ok now I'm really discouraged. I've wanted a 10 T for 3 years.
I can't believe you still have your rifle.
If I don't get it functioning reliably I won't keep it. The mags were 10 rd Armalite mags.
I really think it's the extractor. I've contacted Armalite and will post their reply.
Thanks for your post.

Link Posted: 5/23/2001 8:10:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Send it back to Armalite.  I tried everything to fix mine and nothing worked.  I sent it to them, got it back about three weeks later, no problems since.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top