Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2001 3:07:28 PM EDT
LUSAKA (Reuters) - A python swallowed a baby minutes after it was born near the central Zambian town of Serenje, state television reported.

Heavily pregnant Joyce Mibenge was on her way to plough fields one mile from her home when she went into labor, ZNBC reported. Halfway home, she was overwhelmed by labor pains and retreated into a nearby bush to rest.

"She gave birth there on her own. After a few moments when she had recovered enough to hold her baby she saw a happy python licking the legs of the baby with the rest already swallowed," ZNBC said.

The traumatized Mibenge pulled herself to her feet, fled to her home and raised the alarm, but searching villagers were unable to find the snake. She did not even know whether she had had a boy or girl.
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 3:09:37 PM EDT
[#1]
wow
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 3:16:34 PM EDT
[#2]
9 out of every 10 pythons agree, can't beat the tenderness or the freshness.
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 3:21:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Sounds more like a jungle abortion and a tall tale to hide the fact.  What about the umbilical?  Would think she would feel a bit of a tug or even be trailing the "python" behind her when she took off like a shot.  Why would you go into the bushes to give birth anyway?  Wouldnt you want some help or someone to go get help, not hide from everyone?
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 3:22:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 3:23:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Always carry a weapon big enough to knock the s*** of any attacking baby eating reptiles. A very sad story though if true.
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 3:25:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 3:32:55 PM EDT
[#7]
WOW! - and all this happened in Zambia?
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 3:53:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Gun Toter:
Sounds more like a jungle abortion and a tall tale to hide the fact.  What about the umbilical?  Would think she would feel a bit of a tug or even be trailing the "python" behind her when she took off like a shot.  Why would you go into the bushes to give birth anyway?  Wouldnt you want some help or someone to go get help, not hide from everyone?
View Quote

I would have to agree sounds kind of far fetched.
FWIW I keep and have kept reptiles for most of my 28 years. The most common African PIython, the Rock Python are not a friendly sort. I don't for see one allowing this women to plop down next to it and have her baby or crawl in next to her while she's flopping around giving birth to her baby.
I am amazed by the big snakes eating people tales that come from the locals that live in the areas with these big snakes live but rarely hear of keepers of these big snake with such problems.
Another FWIW, us reptile keepers are many times under attack from legislation to outlaw private keeping of exotic species. Gun owning reptile keeper, I guess I just am unwanted all around.  

Gotta love big government.  
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 3:58:49 PM EDT
[#9]
 I have seen rock pythons in RSA and they are NOT a friendly reptile. I have heard stories from reliable people that tell of them taking small antelope and duiker up to the size of impala. It could happen.
 Frank N.
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 3:58:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Thats  a bit wierd, dude. Did she name the baby?
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 4:00:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Gun Toter:
View Quote

AMEN!
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 4:08:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 4:09:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Do some reading on the ways of the African bush people. Any book by the late Peter Hathaway Capstic usually has some references, he lived and hunted among them for years. Life there is a lot different than it is here, it's still primitive and it is cheap!
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 4:38:22 PM EDT
[#14]
It's not "Fat Bastard the Snake"(GET IN MY BELLY!) but this is a picture of a gopher snake my dad caught back about 8 months ago before he went on a 5k run with the local club.

My dad and I both stand about 6ft 4in tall, the snake came out at just about an even 7ft when we measured it from one end to the other with a piece of rope.

[img]http://home.bak.rr.com/varmintcong/Snake2.jpg[/img]

This damned snake was fairly mean, loved to spit and hiss like nobody's business.

[img]http://home.bak.rr.com/varmintcong/Snake1.jpg[/img]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top