Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/22/2001 2:13:05 PM EDT
[URL]http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,25384,00.html[/URL]

Washington, as you've heard, has been buzzing over reports that Vermont Republican Senator Jim Jeffords, who has broken with the White House and Senate leadership on everything from tax cuts to education spending, was considering switching parties, which would give the Democrats control of the Senate.  The Washington Times reports that Democratic Senate leaders offered Jeffords first the chairmanship of the Environment Committee, then later offered to let him keep the committee he now heads, the Labor and Education Committee.  But the paper says Jeffords said no.  

---------------------------------

I just heard a news blurb that he is going to switch. If it is true, this would suck.  We need a big tax cut. People voted for a Republican and end up with a Democrat.  I am no big fan of the Republican party, but they are the lesser of two evils.  And I thought Vermont was one of the last free states.
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 2:16:00 PM EDT
[#1]
With Republicans like McCain who needs democRATS?
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 2:18:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Damn!  I was just going to say the same regards to McCain.
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 2:22:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 5:55:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, if Jeffords switches parties after being elected as a Republican in a 50/50 Senate, he is the reincarnation of Benedict Arnold. Not that the switch would affect the way he votes anyway, but it would give the Dems control of the Senate. Which would give them many important procedural advantages. Any Vermonters out there knowledgeable on the Vermont laws pertaining to recall of a faithless representative? Hard to believe that a state that doesn't even require a license to carry for any non-criminal to carry a gun could elect a guy like that.
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 6:49:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I thought mccain would be the one to switch maybe hes next
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top