Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/22/2001 12:55:28 PM EDT
I was all set to buy an M1A, because it is time for a .308. Then at a gun show last weekend I picked up one of those Jeff Cooper designed Steyr Scout rifles. The thing weighs way less than my M4gery! It is cool looking, for something not dressed in black, and just feels right.

Now I want one. Anyone have anything bad to say? Anyone know where I can get one for less than the $2600 retail price?
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 1:02:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Build your own.  The Steyr is nice, but that's ridiculous!  You could have a 'smith build you a completely custom peice for that kind of money.

I kinda want an FN Police rifle. Fulton Armory is selling those for about $800.  Add a really nice scope, sling, and bipod, and you're looking at $2k tops.

[sniper]
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 1:12:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Sorta pricey for a combat arm that has a barrel thickness of a nickel. I think I could bend that barrel with my own hands. I wonder what a 3 foot drop would do.
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 1:39:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Sorta pricey for a combat arm
View Quote

The Steyr Scout is not a "combat arm". It is a general puropose rifle designed as a "jack of all trades, master of none".

Link Posted: 5/22/2001 1:49:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Intersting concept but kinda gimicky and expensive. I prefer the SSG for accuracy. The foreward mounted scope is cool but takes getting used to. There are better guns for the money.
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 1:59:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Any weapon is a  combat weapon if you use it in combat (Both Serbs and Croats use them)..as a survival weapon the scout has a couple of advantages...great optics platform...light wt...308...jam proof..short..hammer forged fluted polygon rifled barrel
highly accurate..10 round detachable mags that work..all weather stock...fast on target..it has disadvantages as well ..high price...if shtf hard to get parts (but this could be said of a lot of weapons) not many out there ...Not a semi auto..second shot is bolt fed..Its a great gun to tote deadly on whitetails... built in bipod is real handy...its ergonomics and modular construction of the stock are first rate..The tactical model is the way to go ..Ive seen some pretty amazing shooting done with this little rifle..Just sold my Cooper Scout today .308 with 2 ten round mags...at a very decent price gonna get my wife a .243 version..
If you are looking for a good price on a steyr check out Stacey Blankenships site..
[url]http://members.inteliport.net/~blanksguns/[/url]
And for the best site for info and configurations on Scouts check out Fr Frogs site
email John with any questions..he has some intereting friends in Austria at the factory.
[url]http://www.molonlabe.net/johns/[/url]  and check out the Tactical Elite version
[url]http://www.molonlabe.net/johns/terifle.jpg[/url]
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 2:00:23 PM EDT
[#6]
A slightly used one sat in the local gun store on consignment for months at $1600.  It was not the "Jeff Cooper package", but it did have a scout scope on it.  Mercifully the owner finally took it home.  I handled it several times, but just couldn't get excited for what it cost.  They also had a new regular Steyr SBS rifle next to it for one third the cost.  Col. Cooper sure loves them. I would like to try one, but not for that much money.
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 2:05:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 2:10:53 PM EDT
[#8]
I like the scout.... kinda like a les baer 45...or a porsche...theres transportation and then theres porsche..Had a short barreled PSS ...magazines were worthless ...the scouts work good...
An M1A it aint...no comparison...Im over 50 not even close to the shape I used to be in and I find this is the ideal Lt Wt brush gun for me...and my wife...(in 243)
In fact Im selling my H&K SR9 to finance another one...Just like Im selling my Colt Pre Ban to finance my Rock River Carbines...
That FN police rifle looks pretty nice might even rival Pre 64 Win
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 2:16:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Same as any other compact bolt gun [bouce]
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 2:28:54 PM EDT
[#10]
A FFL bud of mine is selling them NIB w/ NO scope for $1,650.00. He can get the Leupold scout scope if you want it for cost if you buy the rifle from him. If anyone is interested email me and I will foreward it.

He has black or grey.
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 2:41:18 PM EDT
[#11]
I think CDNN has them for 1899.00
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 2:45:37 PM EDT
[#12]
A friend of mine has the Savage Scout, and for the money you cant beat it.  It shoots great. If you want to look at a damn nice Steyr bolt-action .308, I saw them in SGN- the SSG PII and PIIK with Swarvosky(sp?)scope included for like $1,500.00.  Thats a hell of a deal. If youre interested I can get you the details.  Just let me know.

Oh, BTW, I wouldnt shy away from the M1A.  If you like the more compact size look at the M1A scout.  I have one with a ACOG Reflex and its like butter.
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 2:55:39 PM EDT
[#13]
They are pretty nice.  In spite of the light weight, they don't seem to kick to much.  My buddy has a .308 Browning lever action and that thing is a little heavier than the scout, but feels way more brutal in recoil.  The forward mounted scope is pretty cool as well.  It looks funny but is really easy to look through.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top