Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/22/2001 10:58:23 AM EDT
I am looking to purchase another .22 cal rifle. I allready have three ruger 10/22's so now I am looking for a good heavy barrel bolt action. I have been looking at the savages & MOSSBERG 44 from CMP. Any body have any other ideas or own any of these guns. I am looking at $300 max. (have scope)  
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 11:11:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I am looking to purchase another .22 cal rifle. I allready have three ruger 10/22's so now I am looking for a good heavy barrel bolt action. I have been looking at the savages & MOSSBERG 44 from CMP. Any body have any other ideas or own any of these guns. I am looking at $300 max. (have scope)  
View Quote

[sleep]
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 12:02:22 PM EDT
[#2]
How 'bout a CZ varmint model w/ heavy bbl. [thinking]  
http://www.cz-usa.com/pro/detail.php?P=20
-bricklayer
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 12:30:13 PM EDT
[#3]
If you can find one, a Romanian training rifle is the way to go. It's not a heavy barrel, but I got mine for $60, and it is the most accurate .22 I've ever fired. Small, lightweight, and cheap, I haven't found better.
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 8:27:55 AM EDT
[#4]
What phrigid said, Romanian training rifle.  Quite inexpensive and accurate. Someone told me they have match barrels, not sure if its true but from the way they shoot I can believe it.
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 9:14:58 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm not sure about the match barrels. In fact, I don't know any of the specs on them. It's hard to find info on them. But from experience, they are indeed very awesome weapons. I'm also a fan of the Sound Tech pocket rifle.
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 10:49:56 AM EDT
[#6]
I asked , much the same question a few weeks ago. In fact, I have been searching for a quality bolt .22 for about the same price range you posted ($300) for the last few months.What I settled on was a CZ 452 LUX . It's has a longer barrel, (25" I think) than the Varmint or American models. It also has a European type stock - a sloped "hump back" buttstock and Schnabel tip. I did not like the looks of it at first, but it really has grown on me. It has a very elegant nature to it. This rifle is superbly  balanced. The rear sight is a tangent, adjustable from 25-200 meters.The front, is a hooded post. It has an excellent adjustable trigger. I have not played with it yet, but it cannot be to far off from 2lbs, with no creep to speak of. The scope base is, I believe , 11mm , so you will probably wont find rings at your local Wally World.But, they will not be hard to find. If you plan on scoping your rifle, this model might not allow room for a large bell diameter. While, the rear sight leaf can be easily removed ,the sight base cannot.The scope may or may not clear the base. A set of high or extra-high rings might get you there though. As for me, I do not expect to use a scope. I plan on using this rifle as a small game/field gun.

I have done a lot of research on this particular rifle, and have yet to read anything bad about them.People tell me they  seem to shoot as well or better than rifles that cost twice as much. I hope so. I have not shot mine yet. Maybe this weekend.

Go the this link and check them out.

[url]www.cz-usa.com[/url]

The CZ 452 line all have the same mauser-type action. The American and varmint models, I have heard, have floated barrels.The choice is yours. I almost forgot, the Marlin 880SQ squirrel rifle is another you might consider.A little less money too.Good luck. Keep us informed about which rifle you decided on.
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 11:56:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Forgot to make a couple comments on the Romanian 1969 .22 training rifle.

I received mine a couple weeks ago. Hand picked from Wholesale Guns. It is in excellent condition.Bluing is about 95% with only a few minor surface dings.So far, I have mixed feelings. I have tested about four different brands of ammo. No match stuff, just the common stuff you find anywhere. Accuracy with five-shot groups at 50 yds of a bench ( cheap Simmons 4X scope ) averages a little over an inch. Not bad for a surplus rifle, but not great either.Just about any bolt 22 should do that with the right ammo.Most better. I think my problem might be with the inletting of the action/barrel.To say the least, it is very crude. I think they used sharpened rocks to do the work! I can push down on the end of the floated barrel, and it rocks up and down.Not a little, a lot. A bedding job would probably do wonders. Also, this rifle does not feed well with the supplied magazine.I bought a spare, and it also does not work worth a hoot. Both these magazines are  Taiwanese made.Says so right on the floor plate. Do you also have these mags? I'm trying to find some original Romanian mags, but I am not having any luck. Reliable ejection also seems to lacking. The cases just seem to dribble out, if at all. My extractor looks to be chipped on one end. Trying to find one of those too. No luck yet. In short, I have not given up on this rifle, but it has been a little frustrating.I do not want to dump a bunch of cash on this little guy,
(would defeat the purpose). Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 12:02:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Who cares? I would sell the 10-22's and take the cash and get a real gun. .22's are fun but $300 seems excessive to me.
The most I have ever spent on a .22 is $150 for a nce Buckmark.
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 12:27:45 PM EDT
[#9]
I picked up a Marlin 880SQ at one of the shows recently. It is a real sleeper. With Eley 10X, it will get 7/8-1" consistantly at 100m. I love it! I can't recommend one highly enough.
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 12:52:07 PM EDT
[#10]
W
Quoted:
ho cares? I would sell the 10-22's and take the cash and get a real gun. .22's are fun but $300 seems excessive to me.  
View Quote

I am not sure what you mean by a "real Gun", but .22LR is the most versatile cartridge in the world. Great for offhand shooting, hunting (the .22 is the number one choice for poachers, by the way), and just about anything else you can imagine. Cheap and quiet. It also packs more punch than you think. I've dropped Coyotes at ranges of up to a 100yds with Aguila SSS rounds ( 60grn).All clean kills. Many Armies use .22 rifles and pistols for special military operations. In fact, Israel uses Ruger 10/22's for urban sniping. Chechen and Zapatista rebels use 22's. Also, do you really think that a fine precision instrument, which will probably last a lifetime, is not worth $300 bucks? That's chump change in comparison.

Peace...
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 1:57:19 PM EDT
[#11]
 I have looking for a good bolt rifle for a while also .   I heard all the hoopla about the Romanian .22 's . I checked out several myself and I was very disappointed .  I could not get
the mag to release . No thanks .

I looked for a while and was thinking about a new Marlin . about $140 new don't remember the model now .
 I went to my local pawn shop and saw a Savage Mark II  . Complete with cheap scope 60 bucks + tax . I bought it and am very happy with it .

It shoots good with everything I have tried except some crappy Federal birdshot that always jammed my semiauto also

I  just wanted a simple rifle to shoot and teach my kids on so this rifle will be fine . It is a synthetic stock to boot with nice deep blue finish .
   Just need to pick up a few extra mags for it at the next Indy 1500 .
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 2:03:56 PM EDT
[#12]
I'll parrot the CZ-

I have shot one, and it was every bit as accurate as an Anschuntz-
Period.

Damn fine gun, and if I were to ever waste my $$$ on a bolt action rimfire while there are still people in high places trying to grab AK's and AR's,

this would be it.
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 4:54:49 PM EDT
[#13]
I bought a Mossberg 44 from the CMP late last year.  Best $75 I ever spent.  The gun is dead accurate.  The sights alone are probably worth the $75.  The only issue I have with it is the cheap plastic trigger guard.  I'll get over it.  For $300, buy 2 and get yourself another 10/22!  ;-)

Regards,
PD
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 5:08:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Sons of Liberty:
I bought a Mossberg 44 from the CMP late last year.  Best $75 I ever spent.  The gun is dead accurate.  The sights alone are probably worth the $75.  The only issue I have with it is the cheap plastic trigger guard.  I'll get over it.  For $300, buy 2 and get yourself another 10/22!  ;-)

Regards,
PD
View Quote
                                              Being a mossberg collecter, i`ll second this.....if you must have new, marlin is the way to go....all other advise on this thread is good also....problem with these "which 22" threads is, they all come out the same!..i`ve had romanian...great gun (gave it to my nephew) and cz is also great (brother has one) but my $100 used marlin 25 is as accurate as any of them, and you can get parts easily.....now, about the mossbergs...........[beer]
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 7:49:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
W
Quoted:
ho cares? I would sell the 10-22's and take the cash and get a real gun. .22's are fun but $300 seems excessive to me.  
View Quote

I am not sure what you mean by a "real Gun", but .22LR is the most versatile cartridge in the world. Great for offhand shooting, hunting (the .22 is the number one choice for poachers, by the way), and just about anything else you can imagine. Cheap and quiet. It also packs more punch than you think. I've dropped Coyotes at ranges of up to a 100yds with Aguila SSS rounds ( 60grn).All clean kills. Many Armies use .22 rifles and pistols for special military operations. In fact, Israel uses Ruger 10/22's for urban sniping. Chechen and Zapatista rebels use 22's. Also, do you really think that a fine precision instrument, which will probably last a lifetime, is not worth $300 bucks? That's chump change in comparison.

Peace...
View Quote

Umm, ok, but if I had to go down stairs and grab a gun to stop a crime it would not be a .22.....ever.
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 10:12:04 PM EDT
[#16]

Umm, ok, but if I had to go down stairs and grab a gun to stop a crime it would not be a .22.....ever.
View Quote

Me either. I never said it was the best defensive round.Most versatile...yes.
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 5:46:15 AM EDT
[#17]
What about if it was the ONLY gun you had.  Better than nothing.
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 11:17:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Another vote for CZ.
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 4:00:30 PM EDT
[#19]
I agree with 50cal. Get the Marlin 880SQ this is the best bolt 22 I have ever used. I am able to hold 1 hole 1/2 inch groups at 50 yards with a cheap Simmons scope. I am now about to order a Leupold VariXII for it an will probley be able to get the 1/2 groups out to 100 yards. I use this gun for my squrrel gun and it is great off a bipod. I cannot think of a better gun to fit the needs you want for the money you want.
SCAR
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top