Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/21/2001 6:14:39 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 6:22:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By Garand Shooter:
to get online away fromn landlines? If so where do you get the approprite connectors?
View Quote
It all depends on your phone. but yes it is posible to do. Best buy has the adaptor kit for $89. Im sure Citcut city would have it. Sprint pcs store is where I got mine. they will only run at 28.8
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 6:23:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes you can.  However, you're probably only going to get semi decent service with a digital phone.  I know that Sprint and Verizon offer digital service that is laptop internet compatable.  I've got a wireless phone that I can check my email on through Sprint (no flames about their politics please).  A good friend of mine just got service through Verizon.  He has a Motorola Startac and a laptop.  I think it cost him about 200 bucks for the "package" needed to log on.  Basically it was just a CD and some connection wires.  He had tried for months to log on with a cellular (analog) phone with no success.  Wireless digital is the way to go.  It'll be slow (9k/sec) but it will work.  Hope that helps.
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 6:23:41 PM EDT
[#3]
You need a PCMCIA cellular capable modem. Also internet is very slow via cellphone and expensive. Try Radio Shack, Best Buy or any major electronics/computers store.

John
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 6:24:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Please give us more info I this, I know some of the new phones have an infrared port that you can just place near the laptop, But is there a way to connect regularly to your main PC?
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 8:42:45 PM EDT
[#5]
3com used to make PCMCIA modem for laptops that were cellular ready. I guess they still do.  My laptop came with it.  I bought the cable adapter for about $35.  It connected but very, very slow. Forget about surfing the web it would be quicker to drive there and get the data yourself. OK for text type e-mails but forget any any big ones. Constant disconnects and headaches. Maybe somewhat better technology now but probably only selected areas.
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 11:35:13 PM EDT
[#6]
PCMCIA modem with GSM capability
+
GSM phone(preferably Motorola)

Link Posted: 5/22/2001 4:44:37 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a megahertz 56k v.90 modem in my thinkpad and it has a dedicated cellular port in it that you plug an adapter to that connects to my star-tac.

Service isn't too terrible but it's nothing like analog dial-up.

I think we paid around $100.00 for the modem.
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 4:59:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Consider instead Ricochet.com. It's a wireless modem, and you get a 128kbps internet connection as long as you're in the coverage area. I think it runs about $75/mo for unlimited usage.

-Andy

"Can you describe the suspect?" "Um, it was some guy in a hat...."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top