Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/18/2001 4:11:47 PM EDT
Okay, after reading something on here a month or two ago about this, it got me thinking about my science classes a couple years ago...

That there is an "equal and opposite reaction" to everything.

Now, if I'm not wrong, or confused here, wouldn't it be if you fired a gun that has, say 1000 foot-pounds of energy at the muzzle of your firearm, wouldn't you be hit with 1000 foot-pounds of energy also?

Anyone wanna explain??
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 4:18:51 PM EDT
[#1]
no, i dont think so, but acually, i understand about 20% of a rounds energy moves the projectile, the rest goes through you. but keep in mind that energy goes through the rilfe and stock first.
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 6:46:29 PM EDT
[#2]
The *momentum* of the bullet + powder gases is balanced by the recoil momentum of the gun.  

Momentum is mass * velocity, or m*v.

Kinetic Energy is m*v*v/2.  

So if the mass of the gun is, say, about 100 times larger than that of the bullet (think 500 grain 45-70 in a lever action carbine), then the bullet carries away 100 times more kinetic energy than the rifle.

Plug and chug.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top