Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/17/2001 11:34:10 AM EDT
It may make for good TV news ratings. But the reality of it is that in the last year my power has went out exactly zero times and my last electric bill was a whopping $47.03
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 11:41:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Good for you. My power also didn't go out, I carried a gun legally concealed every day, I breathed clean, fresh air, spent no time in traffic jams, worked in a bar where people can choose whether or not they want to smoke, and didn't drink one cappuccino or latte( that was my choice). Come join the free world, anybody with an AR15 is welcome in Nevada.
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 11:44:52 AM EDT
[#2]
I read my last post and I apologize if it sounds mean.
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 11:45:45 AM EDT
[#3]
It sounded stinkin mean.
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 11:49:35 AM EDT
[#4]
You are lucky. Power out at my home once, out at my work another time (PITA). Almost killed three different times by people blowing thru stoplights that are out. I live alone and am at work all day, so i use little electricity. But, my parents February electric bill was over $300.
Just trying to say it is for real. i could go on and on, but my answer is NUKE POWER!!!
If the Frogs can do it so can we.
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 11:50:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Several business that dye fabric have gone out of business here in SoCal.  Some people are suffering.

14,000 megawatts are off-line on a daily basis and only about half are related to maintenance. The rest are generators who have contracts
     with the utilities. The utilities haven't paid them for a while (since about the first of the year) and so they stopped generating. They have
     no guarantees of being paid from either the State or the bankruptcy court. They are unable to sell their output to anyone else because they
     are under contract. I think they are doing this to avoid their own bankruptcy. This is the short term problem as I see it. Any comments?

FERC won't let small generators out of state contracts -- yet

May 17, 2001

From staff and wire reports

WASHINGTON Federal energy regulators stopped short of letting small power generators in
     California get out of existing contracts with utilities that cannot pay, though they said they will
     revisit the issue.

The Federal Energy Regulatory Commission extended waivers to allow small generating
     facilities to shift their power elsewhere in the event that a judge orders they can break their
     contracts.

"The commission is not acting unilaterally to abrogate existing contracts," FERC Chairman
     Curt Hebert said.

He said the FERC was following the wishes of Gov. Gray Davis.

[b]Some generators in the state aren't operating at full capacity because they haven't been paid.

Davis wrote to Hebert this week asking the commission to hold off on allowing the generators
     to break their contracts until the state has a chance to work things out with generators.

Officials of Southern California Edison, the state's second-largest utility, also urged the FERC
     not to intervene, saying any remedy that lets generators refuse to sell power to utilities that
     can't pay will prompt generators to sell their electricity elsewhere.[/b]

[url]www.ocregister.com/business[/url]
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 11:55:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I read my last post and I apologize if it sounds mean.
View Quote

It did not sound mean, it sounded uninformed. you are looking at your world through rose colored glasses and believing the media hype about mine. I to carried a gun legally every day. The air in the Vegas area is every bit as bad as the worst LA smog. Nevada highways are parking lots every friday and sunday from the Vegas & river rat traffic. you just have to look at Summerlin to see that the master planned community California lifestyle is taking over your state.

Link Posted: 5/17/2001 12:20:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Its a government conspiracy. That new "smart gun" technology they're pushin on us needs electricity. If the lights are out, you can't shoot your pistols, now can u?
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 12:29:00 PM EDT
[#8]
I talked to a guy in kalifornia that is a machinist. His company has to shut down everytime there is a stage 3 in the area. I mean why do they depend on the grid anyway? Why can't they hook all of the lathes and presses up to a water wheel?
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 12:34:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Just trying to say it is for real. i could go on and on, but my answer is NUKE POWER!!!
If the Frogs can do it so can we.
View Quote

Yeah Go NUKE POWER!!!!!!! [:)]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top