Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/16/2001 6:56:13 PM EDT
What position do you take when you are pulled over!!!  Are you so quick wiited that you can talk your way out of it or do you cower and be polite hoping to be let off with a warning.

I must sadly say that I opted for the latter and ultimatly will buy some local yokel a lobster dinner!!

56 in a 40.....lot a points I think!  I have no recourse but to send in the yellow form and pay the fine!!!

Link Posted: 5/16/2001 6:59:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Here's a tool of the trade.

No matter what composure you have facing the 'nice policeman' who just pulled you over, if you expect to even THINK about getting off with a warning...

...bring it up BEFORE he walks back to his patrol vehicle and starts preparing your nice slip of paper.  Otherwise, your chances of going scot-free just took a half-life.

Jewbroni~
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 7:01:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 7:01:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Send the ticket in not guilty! Check no deposition box. Your chance may be the looser don't show. Good luck.
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 7:03:31 PM EDT
[#4]
It's been a while since I was pulled over, but I was always the "Mr. Polite, Kiss-ass" type. Face it, you didn't do anything different than a million other guys on the road, you just got caught. I did hear recently that there is a potential way to keep the points off of your license. If the fine is $50, then send them $52. When they send you back the refund check for $2, just throw it out = don't cash it. It might be a bunch of bull, but I would try it.
Good Luck
Robert
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 7:05:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Hey Jewbroni

I guees my idea was to roll over and pee on myself, hoping......just hoping......

I guess I should have grasped the moment!!!

---------------------------------------------

I really hate that feeling when you all of a sudden notice the cruiser and see it jerk that little bit as he puts in gear.....F***

Really bummed
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 7:20:46 PM EDT
[#6]
I would just pay it and go to traffic school if eligible if not then fight it what do you have to lose.
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 7:25:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I've gotten two in the last month, one in Virginia, 78 in a 65, and one in Connecticut, 60 in a 50. Both are cheap shots. I mean come on! 13 and 10 over the limit? Did they find out I was bangin their old ladies or something?
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 7:28:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah, I guess I'm gonna send it in and not quibble.  No matter how pissed i get I guess the answer is not to speed.

Link Posted: 5/16/2001 7:34:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Here in good old WI if you show up for court and plead not guilty the drop it to the minimum fine just to get your $$. I have used this approach once You got to remember that if it goes to trial the cop has to be there!!! The last time I went to traffic court I had the guy in front of me explaining to the court how radar worked and that his VW Thing put off a stronger signal than a normal car. I just about pissed my pants. the guy was a radar operator in the navy and home on leave. But he won so that's all that counts.
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 7:38:31 PM EDT
[#10]
If your polite, respectful and can make him laugh your going in the right direction it does'nt hurt to ask for a break but do it after some quick converstion and you feel maybe he identifies with you as a person. We are human like everyone else. It's not easy to pinch someone you identify with. I probably give a polite warning 50% of the time but then again traffic really is'nt my bag and I hate to get in a working mans pocket. If you've got a long sheet and you were really driving like an a**hole then forget it and take your lumps you asked for it. You have a much better chance of getting a break from city cops(not small town guys they plan their budgets with traffic fines). Highway patrol types do nothing but traffic, they live and die by it. Sorry you got pinched.
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 7:39:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Got nailed for 80 in a 55 a couple of years ago. The cop knocked it down to 10 over. I paid the ticket and used the money saved from the knock down to buy a Valentine radar detector. No problems since.

[img]www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/vroom.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 8:04:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 8:10:01 PM EDT
[#13]
My last was 82/65.

Trooper was nice enough and when I polittely protested my speed he invited me back to the cruiser.

Sure enough there it was....a great big [red][size=4]82[/red][/size=4] right on the LED.

In my case I had allowed my foot to hit the accelerator while on cruise at 68 mph.  I jacked it up to 82 while fishing around in the back seat of the truck for something.

I paid the $135.

My best advice is quit speeding.
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 8:25:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 8:30:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
My best advice is quit speeding.
View Quote

Never.  [}:D]

-Troy
View Quote

That was a pretty frigin' stupid thing to say now huh?

Heck.......even I don't take my own advice.

[b] Mr. Moderator Sir......if it pleases the forum I kindly request that my last statement in the above referenced post be ammended to read "Stop getting Caught".

Thank you Sir.[/b]

Link Posted: 5/16/2001 8:34:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Should we stop speeding before or after we turn in our guns and report to reeducation camps?  Speeding is a "crime" which only exists to generate income for the state.  It's not a significant factor in accidents.  It's merely a way to set a standard based on the lowest common denomenator and punish those who don't say their "yes, massah"'s every time there's a different sign in an irrational place.
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 9:01:35 PM EDT
[#17]
(Speed i)s not a significant factor in accidents.
View Quote

I must respectfully disagree.  It is not speed itself that is a killer, it is speed [i]differential[/i].  If you have one guy doing 95 when everyone else is doing 60, there's going to be a problem.  Likewise, if a loaded semi-truck chugs up the onramp and hits the freeway at 35 mph, it can cause problems for everyone else who is cruising along at 70.  If everyone cruises at about the same speed, there tends to be fewer accidents.  

An article in my local paper today said that a stretch of the I-15 Freeway (between North San Diego and the Nevada line) had 97 fatal accidents and 3007 injury accidents in a one year period.  In most of these accidents, excessive speed was a factor.  

For those of you who haven't driven that stretch of road, it is pretty wide open, and most of the cars haul a$$, even when it narrows down to 2 lanes as you get closer to Vegas.

It should be noted also that 60 of the 97 fatalities were not wearing seat belts either.  Food for thought for those of you who don't wear them.  
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 9:13:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Most troopers are just doing their jobs and human too.  I was going home after a long call and couldn't wait to call into bed.  I was going 95 in a 65 zone when one of Michigan's finest pulled me over.  He asked me why I was in such a hurry.  I was nice and said, I am very sorry officer but I really need to get home and sleep.  He asked for my identification and registration and went back to his crusier. He came back and said, "you need to slow down, I am giving you a ticket for no seatbelt. If you go to court on this day, I will be on vacation. Slow down and have a nice day doc!" I guess alot of the LEO types have a soft spot for doctors.  I know where I work, when one comes the ER, all the docs and nurses dropped everything and the policemen and firemen are treated first always.
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 9:16:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Don't do the crime if ya can't do the time.
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 9:16:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
...I have no recourse but to send in the yellow form and pay the fine!!!
View Quote

WRONG.  You do have options.  See a lawyer, a good lawyer can often get a moving violation reduced to an equipment violation.  This will cost you a few bucks, but there are no "points" added to your license, nor any insurance increase.  Well worth the investment in the long run.
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 10:57:28 PM EDT
[#21]
YOU can often get a reduction. Most times they try to settle the case as opposed to trying it. You may want to talk to someone "in the know" who can help you figure what to "convert" SPEEDING to, defective speedometer seems to happen around here......Unless you have a nasty driving record or a very poor attitude in court.
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 11:01:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Speaking of tickets, I'm testing for a LE position this week. Anybody got any tips?
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 1:52:02 AM EDT
[#23]
If you are going to drive faster than usual then do yourselves a favor and pick up a VALENTINE ONE radar locator (notice I said locator and not detector, because that's exactly what it does!!!). It's a little pricey but well worth the $$$.
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 2:54:18 AM EDT
[#24]
heres some tricks that worked for me -- hike up your skirt and start to cry [:)]

errr uuhhhh i mean those are tricks that my girlfriend uses [;)]
i just stick a fake cast on my leg and say the weight pushs the gas pedal down farther than i want it too .... yeah thats it ...thats what i do, the ole fake cast trick [:D][:D][:D]
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 3:12:08 AM EDT
[#25]
A police officer pulls a guy over for speeding and has the following exchange:

Officer: ?May I see your drivers license??
  Driver: ?I don?t have one. I had it suspended when I got my 5th DUI.?
  Officer: ?May I see the registration for this vehicle??
  Driver: ?It?s not my car. I stole it.?
  Officer: ?The car is stolen??
  Driver: ?That?s right. But come to think of it, I think I saw the
           registration in the glove box when I was putting my gun in there.?
  Officer: ?There?s a gun in the clove box??
  Driver: ?Yes sir. That?s where I put it after I shot and killed the woman
           who owns this car, and stuffed her body in the trunk.?
  Officer: ?There?s a BODY in the TRUNK!?!??
  Driver; ?Yes sir.?

Hearing this the officer immediately calls his captain. Police quickly
surrounds the car, and the captain approached the driver to handle the tense
situation.
  Captain: ? Sir, can I see your license??
  Driver: ? Sure, here it is. It was valid.
  Captain: ?Whose car is this??
  Driver: ?Its mine, officer. Here is the registration?. The driver owned
           the car.
  Captain: ?Could you slowly open the glove box so I can see if there is a
            gun in it??
  Driver: ?Yes sir, but there?s no gun in it?. Sure enough, there was nothing
           in the glove box.
  Captain: ?Would you open the trunk? I was told you said there?s a dead body
            in it?.
  Driver: ?No problem.?
           Trunk is opened and there was no body.
  Captain: ?I don?t understand it. The officer who stopped you said that you
            told him you don?t have a license, stole the car, had a gun in
            the glove box, and that there was a body in the trunk.?
  Driver: ?Yeah, I?ll bet the lying SOB told you I was speeding, too.?
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 3:27:27 AM EDT
[#26]
I got two last year 73 in a 55 and a 48 in a 25.  I was able to talk to cop out of giving me reckless driving for the second so he gave me 44 in a 25.
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 3:36:47 AM EDT
[#27]
If I did it, I take the ticket and pay for it.

If I didn't do it, then I keep questioning the officer but of course his/her mind is already made up.  I always get a ticket and when we meet in court, I always lose.  The cop ALWAYS lies in court.  At least the ones I've been in.

Don't give them the satisfaction of hearing you beg or say "please".  Just take the ticket and tear the officer up in court.  You will/may lose in court, but it's fun tearing them up and questioning them without fear of reprisal from the officer in the courtroom.  You usually get to do it in front of all their fellow officers too!

I always lose when I go to court, but it's sure fun.  
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 4:02:27 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
What position do you take when you are pulled over!!!  Are you so quick wiited that you can talk your way out of it or do you cower and be polite hoping to be let off with a warning.

View Quote

Better to ask my wife on this one...

She has never gotten a ticket and has been pulled over countless times. Must be the looks cause it never works for me.
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 4:33:24 AM EDT
[#29]
hey ardoc, yeah, in Michigan (which SUCKS thanks to the libs blocking our CCW reform law) I have gotten out of 2 tickets by politely mentioning the doctor thing. one was a 72 in a 55!

To the non medical people, here's how it works. A drunk is in a traffic accident. The cops bring them in, and he wants to charge them with a DUI, but I guess it is more paperwork, or they have to get a court order for blood, or something. Anyway,  Several times I have had a cop ask "You know, if YOU (as a doctor) checked Joe SHmo's blood alcohol level and drug screen, it might be helpful to his medical care (wink, wink)"

So, even though I dont care or sometimes even need to know, we get it(drugs and alcohol) checked. ANd I guess they go to jail. All I know is that the cop really avoids some crap if we order the labs.

And all cops know that if they are ever hurt in the line of duty (god forbid) they may need the expert care of some doctors in the ED.

sd
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 4:44:42 AM EDT
[#30]
just like everything else you gotta pay to play.send in the money and forget it.its only 1 point
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 5:35:53 AM EDT
[#31]

I see you are from NY, so I will comment:
  Have your license , registration and insurance card WITH YOU in the car. Amazing how many folks DON'T carry their license, etc with them.
 To pop your bubble, your fine isn't going to go to the officer or his agency. All fine money in NY, with very few exceptions, goes directly to Albany. You ARE NOT buying lobster for the officer.
At 16 over the posted limit, all you can hope for is the officer feeling lenient. I usually write for that amount over the limit regardless of the excuse Although yesterday I DID let one go who was that much over, for a number of reasons .
You have several options, some of which I am sure the officer covered at the stop:
You can plead guilty by mail. The Court will then bill you based on the state guidelines for 16 miles over the limit and your driving record.

You can plead innocent and request a trial date.

You can plead innocent and request a supporting deposition. If the officer doesn't send the supporting dep within 30 days, your ticket gets tossed. If the officer sends the supporting, you can still plead innocent and go to trial or take the guilty charge and pay the fine. If you go to trial and the officer doesn't show, the ticket gets tossed. If you plead innocent and go to trial and the officer is at court, expect to pay the maximum fine. At that point you've created a lot of work for the Court and the officer and you'll be lucky to get any breaks in sentencing. Although my last V & T trial last week, of the 3 tickets I wrote, the judge was somewhat easy and only fined the guilty guy for two of the tickets.
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 6:20:35 AM EDT
[#32]
At least we are helping keep criminals off the street by keeping all the cops in the courtroom explaining why he pulled some idiot over for speeding....
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 7:30:36 AM EDT
[#33]
A friend of mine kept getting tickets to the point his license was constantly in jeapardy. His solution - He became a cop and drives fast all the time with no problems.
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 10:01:35 AM EDT
[#34]
Ditto what the doctors are saying, Go to medical school. It will break your wallet for a while but you'll make it back by getting out of tickets LOL! Seriously they are right we damn near always give docs/nurses a break especialy E.R. types. They put up with alot of Sh*t because of the people we have to bring in. Many thanks to you all.
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 10:46:20 AM EDT
[#35]
sxp1:
 Fellow New Yorker.

If you were cited under a uniform traffic violation, you simply check off the not-guilty box and the request (i think it's declaration) on the ticket back, and return it Registered mail, return receipt within 48 hours.

Now wait 30 days... This is the statutory time limit.

Then send a letter to the court requesting dismissal due to the officers failure to comply with a lawful request for a declaration.

I have all my paperwork from a run in in Sloatsburg (60 in a 40) earlier this year and will e-mail it to you ASAP, but you MUST get that ticket back on it's way to the court in 48 hours for this to fly.

It is the single largest reason for dismissed moving violations in New York.

Apex

no need for a disclaimer, because I am certain these actions are fully legal anywhere in New York State, according to NYS CPL.
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 10:54:32 AM EDT
[#36]
Now that you've already gotten the ticket try talking to the D.A.  In some jurisdictions you can't do this.  Go down to the District Attorney's office and ask to speak to the D.A. or and assistant D.A. that will be prosecuting your case.  Tell him you know you made a mistake and you're sorry, it won't happen again etc.  Also tell him how this is your first offense (if it is).  Ask he he can plead the charges down to a non-moving violation.  Let him know that you are more than happy to pay a fine, but would prefer that this not go on your insurance.  Also let him know what a loyal voter and supporter of the D.A. you are.  They may go for it, they may not.  They may agree to it if you take a defensive driver course or something.  It can't hurt to ask.
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 11:31:26 AM EDT
[#37]
I got one several years ago for 89 in a 65 zone. The arguement that I was just maintaining traffic flow did not sail.  I went to court and the prosecutor offered to reduce it to a muffler violation, right off the bat.  It looked like there was a huge docket that day so I think he was trying to knock down the load.   I wasn't worried about the fine it was what my insurance company would do when they found out. Ended up costing me $50 plus court costs and no points.  Good Luck.
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 11:54:24 AM EDT
[#38]
Gloftoe

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dude, I got busted yesterday too. Giddings, TX. 74 in a 55, and carrying too! What a crappy speed-trap town. I mean, I messed up. It was my fault. And the guy was cool about me carrying (CHL holder) He just asked where it was, I told him 5 o'clock on my hip. He said "Okay. License and insurance please." Pretty pleasant, if you ask me.

Dammit.. now I have to take defensive driving and get this damn thing dismissed. Better than paying $135 to the city of Giddings... bleh

-Gloftoe

OK sports fans try this for size.. in the state of texas if you are traviling then you can carry concealed with out CCW now most cops dont follow this rule but it is true... technically if you wernt in violation of fedaral law you could carry in a bar as long as your travaling. if you disagree let me know.
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 3:52:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 4:07:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Go to court. In OK you can postphone a court date 3 times. This messes his schedule all up. Chances are he will miss it.
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 5:18:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I must sadly say that I opted for the latter and ultimatly will buy some local yokel a lobster dinner!!

56 in a 40.....lot a points I think!  I have no recourse but to send in the yellow form and pay the fine!!!

View Quote

I just got a ticket for 80 in a 55. 6 points. 90 bucks. The money Was not the problem it was the points. It takes 18 months for the points to get off your license for revocation but they stay on for up to 36 months for insurance. 3 speeders in 18 months and you loose your drivers license for 1 month. I didn't bother to fight it. I have 12 months left. then I am point free again. Take it easy and good luck. You can take the course to reduce the points but they only come off if you are about to loose your license. For example you will probably get 4 point for the ticket. If those are your only points the course will not drop them. If you are up to 11 or 12 points then the course will let you get an extra ( I think the course is 3 points) 3 points before revocation. They revoc your license at 12 points in NY. With the course they let you go to 15.
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 6:25:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Thanks for all the info (especially from my fellow NYers).  I'm just gonna send in the ticket and take my medicine! I could try and fight it but I've really got better things to do with my time........He got me dead to rights!

Link Posted: 5/20/2001 7:51:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Well, sorry we couldn't be of more help.
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 7:58:07 PM EDT
[#44]
buy a landrover- you'll be so scared of driving over 65 mph (as your fuel economy drops drastically from 14 to 10 or 11) with the 'british' brick that you will in most instances never get in trouble.

speed, fast, quick?  not in a landie mate!

steve
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 8:18:08 PM EDT
[#45]
FYI, if your banking on the cop missing court, don't count on it. Where I work and most other departments dole out heavy discipline for missing a court appearance. You pinch'em you testify. The more its continued the more I get paid. We get O.T. for every subpeona we receive so challenge those tickets I want an SP1.[;)]
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 8:27:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Yeah, I guess I'm gonna send it in and not quibble.  No matter how pissed i get I guess the answer is not to speed.

View Quote

It is just that easy. If you dont want to see the lights in your rear view, Dont break the law.
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 9:44:26 PM EDT
[#47]
For YEARS I have ALWAYS paid a lawyer  who SPECIALIZES in tickets.

Usually the mail in fine is around 50-100, and the total lawyer is 200 or so. The 50-100 difference is in my insurance savings for SPEEDERS!

I get caught about once a yr or so, and ALWAYS get a lawyer. My record shows ZERO speeding tickets. PAY FOR THE BEST IT IS WORTH IT. ANYTHING LESS...WATCH the good hands guys colect that lawyer money..and then some.

And the quit speedng advice....SCREW YOU. I just bought a NEW Chevrolet Monte Carlo. It runs and thats why I bought it! I CANT DRIVE 55 !!!!!
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 10:43:13 PM EDT
[#48]
I was stopped for doing 165+ in a 55. The cop caught me (road block), he arrested me and gave me a ticket for reckless driving and evasion.
I went to court, the judge threw out the evasion because I pulled over one exit before the road block (well, I was really trying to see if I could run back the other way) and he reduced my fine from the reckless driving from $1200.00 to $300.00 after I mad the cop look silly.
The judge asked me why I didn't see the police car. I told him I don't look back when I am going above 80 mph, I want to be able to see where I am going.
The cop interupted and told the judge that I was going way too fast in the traffic and that I should be fined the max amount.
I respectfully pointed out to the judge that the cop had accelerated in his 5.0 Mustang but I was pulling away from him at 155, and the last speed he got me was 165 and I was still pulling away soooo, if it was so dangerous for me (and all of the other people on the road) to be speeding why was it ok for the cop to speed too?
The judge nodded his head at me, the cop started to say something and the judge told him to "sit down".
I left there with a $300 ticket and 2 points on my DL for 5 years for reckless driving. That was 12 years ago and I still get asked if it was alcohol related when it's time for my insurance renewal.
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 10:54:19 PM EDT
[#49]
I wish I saw this thread earlier...E-mail me (that goes for anyone) and I'll tell you how to avoid the ticket hitting your insurance and points etc.

John
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top