Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

A valid email is required.
Password is required.
Site Notices
Posted: 5/16/2001 6:55:07 PM EDT
I'm about to put an ATN 5x33L scope on my A2 (still looking for a B-square for under $50, but BTT...), and I've decided that my shots through the scope will probably be slightly easier to "call" if my recoil was a bit lower. My rifle isn't an HBAR, so it's fairly light and tends to be slightly unstable compared to heavier AR's, so for of an investment at/under $50, I'm putting a muzzle brake and a lead buttstock wedge on my rifle. I realize the change in recoil won't be remarkable with the muzzle brake installed, but I'm willing to accept any decrease for a VERY small amount of cash that they cost. My concern is, with my post-ban AR, I'm somewhat limited in my options for a flash suppressor. Sure, I'd love a wicked Vortex/Phantom, but I'll accept a tacky looking AK or Y-Comp brake since they're one of my only options. For under $40, what is the best post-ban muzzle brake I can get? I know I'll probably have to turn the upper into a gunsmith so that he can drill taper holes (another hassle with post-bans), but I'm willing to do whatever it takes. I also heard around the grapevine that Mini Y-Comps were loud as sin, and whatever I choose I'd rather not have my rifle sounding like an M14 at the expense merely of my ears. Any suggestions? As always, I appreciate (blah blah blah). Jewbroni~
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 7:08:22 PM EDT
Get the AK brake, it works and even reduces flash. Y-comps are indeed the luodest thing you've EVER heard, had one and threw it away due to noise. Full isze Y-comps are no better.
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 7:18:00 PM EDT
I shot 2 weeks ago at the range with a guy about 10 ft. away from me who had a carbine with an AK brake on it. Didn't look "too" bad, but the sound honestly wasn't all that bad. Function over Form, I suppose. I'll consider the AK brake as one option, thanks. *Cough* Your turn, Lew [:D] Jewbroni~
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 7:27:21 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 7:30:13 PM EDT
Wilson has a muzzle brake that vaguely resembles an A2 flash hider. Just so you know, Jewbroni, if it is a post ban it must have an approved muzzle brake, no flash hiders allowed.
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 7:50:38 PM EDT
Yeah, I know the law. I also know that "flash suppressors" and "muzzle brakes" server the same serviceable function, but that they are classified differently for legality issues. Jewbroni~
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 9:42:49 PM EDT
If you ever want to shoot CMP with it, leave it alone.
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 10:47:41 PM EDT
Yes, in fact I do want to shoot CMP with it. Correction: not with the current stock Colt upper I have now, but "possibly" with another DMC upper in the future. I will probably NOT put a brake on my good, quality CMP upper, but given that I have a cheap but practice-effective Colt barrel now, I want to get all I can out of it. If adding $50 for a brake helps me out, then that's probably one of the cheapest investments I can think of at the moment. Jewbroni~
Top Top