Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/16/2001 3:34:13 PM EDT
If anybody knows the answer to this please reply!

I have been waiting for an answer to this question on other areas of the board but I havn't got an answer. I'm getting F@#%ing frustrated.

CAN A TELESTOCK (NEW DESIGN OR TRADITIONAL) BE PERMANENTLY FIXED IN A SHORTENED POSITION AND STILL BE LEGAL FOR INSTALLATION ON A POSTBAN LOWER. Im talking 1-2 pos'n from fully extended to accomadate a smaller shooter. My wife is not happy with my weighty HBAR Bushy 20" and feels the legnth of pull is too long.
IS THE TELESTOCK IN A FIXED POS'N CONSIDERED A SOLID STOCK IN THE BATF'S EYES?
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 3:36:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 3:36:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't know the answer but I'm interested in that myself. As long as it is still 28" overall I guess so
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 3:37:33 PM EDT
[#3]
p.s. Don't listen to Imbrog|io.
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 3:38:27 PM EDT
[#4]
If the stock cannot be collapsed, it is a fixed stock in BATF's eyes.  Lots of people get a telestock and permanently fix it in the 2nd or 3rd position on a post-ban gun- this is perfectly legal as long as the stock is incapable of moving.
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 3:41:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO GET AN ANSWER TO THIS TOPIC FROM JARROD @ BUSHMASTER BUT HE MUST BE BUSY CUZ I BEEN WAITING ALL DAY.

IT SEEMS THIS WOULD BE A GREAT THING. I MEAN HOW OFTEN DO YOU REALLY CHANGE THE LENGTH OF A TELE-STOCK. MOST GUYS I KNOW ADJUST IT AND LEAVE IT THERE. WHY NOT FIX IT IN THAT POSITION FOR POSTBAN GUYS LIKE MYSELF. MY WIFE WOULD GET ALOT MORE MILAGE OUT OF MY AR AND THAT MEANS MORE SHOOTING TIME FOR ME.
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 3:45:33 PM EDT
[#6]
How are you going to permanently fix the stock?
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 3:52:37 PM EDT
[#7]
The reason why your question has not gotten the response you need is maybe because this topic has been covered and discussed so many times already. If you will do a search on this topic you may get the answer you seek.

Okay for your benefit, I have read the discussions about this and in my humble opinion, yes and no.

Yes, but you have to make sure that the stock would never be telescopic again. This means that should someone want to make it "telescope" he will destroy and render the stock totally useless in the process of doing so.

No, because if the BATF should get the itch to pick on you, they can always find a way to reverse the procedure that you did given enough time, tools and materials.

YMMV! Your call and please turn the caps lock toggle off!

Hope this helps
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 3:56:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Sparky315,
Do you know this for sure? From expirience. I'm a little green when it comes to all this Pre/post-ban stuff. I do not want the BATF to come knockin'
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 4:12:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Sparky315,
Do you know this for sure? From expirience. I'm a little green when it comes to all this Pre/post-ban stuff. I do not want the BATF to come knockin'
View Quote

Then call the BATF and request an opinion in
letter form or get a BIGGER WIFE!
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 4:37:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Kracker : Does MO have a AW law mimicing the federal law?
If not the odds of you getting caught border on the infintesimal. For most of us it is a federal law and esentially unenforcable at that. Unless you have a olymipic arms model PCR AR15, the serial number of the rifle would have to be checked, and you would have to assume that whatever DNR or LEO or whatever would know what the law is and if it applies to your rifle (it wouldn't if your rifle was asymbled before 1995).
I have even seen a DNR officer pick up a PCR with a collapsible stock and set it back down in confusion when the owner told him it was all legal.
(PCR means politically correct rifle)
If you are worried about it make the stock permanenently fixed with some JB weld and forget about it. After all the laws can be changed at the whim of politicians at any time.
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 4:39:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Somehow I double posted but the board won,t let me remove the second post. Sorry
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 4:44:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Maybe
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 4:49:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Yes you can!

All Bushy does is transplant an allen head bolt (threaded into under channel???), remove the lever, then drill horizontally and insert two roll pins in the channel under neath the tube.  they dont drill the roll pin holes all the way through so you cant push them out.

Presto! its permanent.

Find a Bushy M4 post ban at a local shop, then copy/convert a preban/collapsible into a fixed postban.

goodluck
PS, dont listen to hg112
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 4:54:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Yes a fixed tele-stock is legal. It's merely a different design than the A1 or A2 standard stock--none of them collapse and can't be (readily) modified to collapse--so they're essentially all the same thing. BUT---buy one from a manufacturer which has gotten BATF approval on their design. Gunsmoke has them for a good price, and you don't have to worry about legality. I wouldn't try to modify a preban collapsable stock myself--you can probably sell it for more than the new legal one will cost anyway.
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 4:59:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Just use the pre-ban stock and don't worry about it.
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 5:21:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 5:34:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 6:07:59 AM EDT
[#18]
If a rifle doesn't fall below the legal length limit when a stock is fully colapsed, why IS it a problem (to the BATF) if a stock moves longer or shorter???  Bench rest shooters have stocks with adjustable lengths of pull!

Is this just another stupid 'cosmetics' law?
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 6:12:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 6:26:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Kracker : Does MO have a AW law mimicing the federal law?
If not the odds of you getting caught border on the infintesimal. For most of us it is a federal law and esentially unenforcable at that
View Quote

thank you, Longrange.  Not many people see this nit picky shit for what it is.
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 6:28:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Just use the pre-ban stock and don't worry about it.
View Quote

I thought about this myself, but worry who is watching at the range. Then you think, are they going to be able to research your serial number on the spot...doubt it!
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 8:47:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Thank you all for your information and interest. I apologize if this topic has been talked to death. I have been away from the boards since we went to the new site. Back now happy to be with you all.

Looks like I will be ordering a fixed telestock from one of the aftermarket companies like Gunsmoke.

I will NOT be looking for a BIGGER WIFE like some smart a$$ members have suggested. I could say something smart about the size of Hangfire's  woman and his preference for the plus size ladies but I won't.(in the interest of peace on the board and all.)

I have cosidered writing the BATF but after some of the horror stories I have read on this forum I don't think that's in the plan.

I'll keep my head down and try to stay off the BATF's radar as much as possible. Thanks again to all who replied.  Dr. Cooper
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 9:13:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 9:37:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Yes, it definitley may not kinda wont work
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 9:48:13 AM EDT
[#25]
Hmmmm, missed that post.
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 10:12:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 4:03:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Yeah, I'm sure.  Don't ask the question if you're not going to believe the answers.
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 9:54:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Sorry Sparky315,
No offense intended. Just clarifying the information. I never assume anything and I am ALWAYS very cautious especially when it comes to  those "evil features" on my favorite AR. As far as I'm concerned the BATF are some of the most underhanded and dispicable agents of our gov. and I was trying to get info from a source other than these idiots. That's why I love this board. Free info and plenty of like minded discussion.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top