Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/16/2001 12:57:34 PM EDT
First of all, is the gun more accurate than a standard XM15E2 20"?

Second, what makes it more accurate?

Third, if I was going to get into AR15 competative shooting is this the way to go, or should I pick another rifle?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 12:59:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Check out a Rock River Arms.  I hear the Bushie's trigger is crap.  I'm actually shopping for a DCM myself.  

There's a guy in Ohio that builds up nice rifles from the RRA.  There is also Compass Lake Engineering.

Check out the Competition and Accurate AR forum here.

Link Posted: 5/16/2001 1:18:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 2:02:15 PM EDT
[#3]
The answer to your qusetion is a solid yes!!!!

what make it more accurate are quite a few things.

1. The national match chamber in the barrel.

standard ar-15 rifles are chambered rather generously for use of  garden variety nato spec ammo.  A match chamber is bored to much tighter tolerances. Somtimes a match chamber will not even except some manufactures nato spec ammo they can be that tight. The rifling in the barrel tends to be more consistant as well

2. The sights

standard issue rear sights on ar's are if im not mistaken set up in 1/4 moa increments
match rear sights are 1/2 moa or less (their 1/2 moa on my rra anyway). Also the peep sights are smaller allowing for more precise aim.
The front sight is also thinner and sharper to give a more clear view of the front sight blade against your target.

3. The trigger

a national match rifle will usualy have what is known as a 2 stage trigger (like in an m1 garand or carbine)
Meaning there will be a small ammount of slack in the trigger that must be squeezed befor pressure is actualy applied to the sear and hammer that hits the firing pin and launches the bullet.

a single stage has no slack, this can cause a tiny ammount of wobble that can potentialy move your point of aim.

3.Added weight

match guns tend to be heavier due to the  larger countour barrels,stocks and or extra lead weight. The extra weight helps the rifle be less affected by recoil.The larger diameter barrel  helps disipate heat that can warp a barrel quicker .

4.free float tube  (on ar-15 types)

on the ar-15 the sling attaches directly to the front sight that is around the barrel when done this way a tight sling can phisicaly bend the barrel slightly changing you point of aim.

This is where the tube comes in. The tube is atached to the upper reciever and extends out just enough to allow a sling swivel to be put on to attact a sling  placing pressure on the tube instead of the barrel.

these are the major things i know of anyway
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 10:16:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Thank ya'll for your answers, that was just what I was looking for.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top