Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/16/2001 12:42:40 PM EDT
Hey there everybody, might be relocating to Quantico, Virginia because of work. Can you all tell me the good and bad about living in that area of Virginia. Taxes, cost of living, education system, home buying, gun laws, and anything else you can add good or bad. Would love to get honest opinions..
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 12:49:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I dunno about Q-tico, Im in Va Beach, and I can use hi caps, never had any gun related probs, and this is the largest "city" in VA.  I have several variations of Sport Utility Rifles, handguns, etc.  Not bad for that sort of thing
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 12:50:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 1:15:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I live real close to the Quantico area and I honestly cant say anything bad other than A. The traffic is horrendous, plan on leaving early The good thing is the traffic starts around Quantico so if you move south you dont have to deal with it. As far as housing the further south you go the cheaper it is. I rented a 3 bedroom house for 550$ a month right outside of Fredericksburg that was 4 years ago and it was a nice place in a nice neighborhood. Fredericksburg is a viable option for you cause its only a half hour or so from Quantico. If you go north you can plan on paying a grand a month for a one bedroom apartment. Best bet is Stafford county just south of Quantico. Ive been out of school long enough that I cant tell you too much about the schools in that area other than King George where I live and KG isnt all that great. It really is a great area though, I grew up here and I dont ever plan on leaving. BTW the only bad gun law here is one HANDGUN a month. There is a lot of great shopping and attractions within easy driving distance of there too. Hell I could go on and on. There arent too many ranges though, but the Marine Corps base is a option but kind of a pain to get into. Feel free to email me if you have any questions.
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 1:23:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 2:41:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Gun friendly state is a biiiggggg plus for me. Do they allow us to buy full auto in V.A. w/ proper paperwork? How is the winter? Mild or Harsh. Hee hee I think i am gonna be looking forward to moving down there...
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 2:45:52 PM EDT
[#6]
akarguy what is a sport utility rifle.please dont tell me it is a kinder ,gentler name for an AR or AK?
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 3:30:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Virginia is very gun-friendly.  The only thing I don't like about northern VA is the traffic- not so bad here in Va Beach.
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 3:52:29 PM EDT
[#8]
It's a class 3 state.  It will depend on your local CLEO, so you may want to research that before you get settled into an area.  It's no prob getting a class three gun here in the VA Beach.  

It snows in the winter.  It's not harsh when compared to the northeast, or anywhere close to as bad as the Midwest.  You can still see grass in the Winter when there is nothing but ice farther north.  

Taxes are high throughout the state.  The nickel and dime you to death.  Not as bad as CA (born there), but not as good as TX or FL (both of which I've lived for a couple years each).  

Ross
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 5:03:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 8:00:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Virginia has been pretty gun-friendly but there is this smarmy liberal twerp named Mark Warner who is a running for governor.  He is a multi-millionaire and if he wins I bet gun rights get flushed down the tube.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 2:44:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Thank you everybody, so far this looks like it may be the real deal, please feel free to add any usefull information you may have about Quantico area. Anyone selling Property near there. I may be looking to build another house once we settle in. Thank's
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 3:52:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Don't know about that area, always considered northern VA a different State definitely a different state of mind. But down here in central VA things are just fine. Gun laws aren’t too bad in VA, has a nice mixture of weather; all in all you could have done a lot worse. (WARNING SHAMLESS PLUG) and if you get the need for a full auto and need a good FFL 07/SOT come and see me. Almost forgot you'll be able to come to the next VA Shoot (poor, poor woody). John
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 4:19:26 PM EDT
[#13]

There IS a Santa Claus
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 4:32:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Everyone has filled you in pretty well on the info.

VA is open carry in most of the state if I remember correctly.  There are a few cities in VA which don't allow open carry.  I'm in northern VA so I have never seen anyone open carry.  But unless the laws have changed in the past few years,  it should still be legal. :)

---
Oliver, SOT huh?   Sweeet.  I have a long wish list...  :)

Probably going to get a 10/22 ruger supressed and a Gemtech silencer for my M16.   I'll see TWS guns @ the Richmond gun show this weekend.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top