Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/16/2001 11:30:44 AM EDT
I am currently trying to implement a policy at our workplace that would allow all staff who pass a CCW training course to carry at our place of work. Due to the sensitive nature of our business, all of the guards, plainclothes, perimeter security, and receptionists are armed, but some of the technicians and other staff have complained that their personal safety is also of high importance, and that they wish to take personal responsibility for it by carrying at work. We have what would, in most cases, be considered very tight security, and the weapons policy has heretofore restricted carry or possesions on company grounds to the above mentioned professional, but I and others find this unfair. I am one of our security professionals myself, but unlike some of my rather elitist colleagues, I am aware that I cannot be everywhere at once. Support is about 60/40 against my suggestion for staff's to carry, does anyone have any suggestions on how I can further the the implementation of the plan? I hardly think it is too radical for a high security building to have their people armed...

HKSentinel.
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 11:37:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 11:41:46 AM EDT
[#2]
This isn't a shopping mall is it?
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 11:50:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Very funny....
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 11:51:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Sentinal --

Columbine is the best example of "trust your life to professionals."  Worked perfectly.  No professionals were hurt.  They were the only ones armed.

You the CEO?  Guess not.  He's the one who has to make this decision, it's not up for vote.  

Don't understand the need for CCW at work.  Open holster is all that's needed.  Normal state CCW "training" requirements are pretty minimal if you're worried about proficiency and liability.

-- Chuck

View Quote

Yes, the title was actually meant to be an example of my opponents here. I should have made that clear. The CCW class is only what i chose because local agencies won't train civilians, even intellegent and talented ones, in officer style open carry. I figure that the class shoiuld be able to teach them proper and safe gun handling, and also how to shoot, something I have stated my willingness to follow up on, by taking people to the range with me. They can just carry their weapon open carry while on duty, or on the premises.

Ijust have to find a way to implement it...
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 12:35:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Gecko45?
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 11:04:59 PM EDT
[#6]
If you're working with "classified" and need to know stuff the "coneheads" have no need for weapons. That is your job. Besides their having access to firepower puts them into the "threat scenerio". A room full of them could be a fromidable foe for a guy during normal patrol.
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 11:08:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Armed Guards at Micky D's, I like that because you never know when a parent is going to go on a killing spree to get that last Happy Meal Toy[-!-!-]
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 11:17:13 PM EDT
[#8]
At the nuc. plant that I work security for, having an armed populace would be bad. On the other hand, it would be excellent in other places. Every scenario is unique and should be treated as such, on a case by case basis.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top