Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/14/2001 8:09:57 PM EDT
Thinking about getting a rifle chambered for this round.  was getting a .300 WinMag, but this round is almost identical balistically, even a little higher as far as velocity and energy go.  Reported exact same trajectory. Shorter action is the benefit. All I want to avoid is buying a rifle in a caliber that is going to "die" later.  I like sticking with popular cartridges - cheaper ammo - ammo more available.

Thanks for the input.

Tate
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 8:27:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Well obviosly the .300 win. mag. won't die off very soon, but the wsm will probably gain in popularity. Personally I would buy the Win. Mag. because if I needed shells at some point in a hurry it would be harder to find the wsm. They are almost exactly alike balistically, but the wsm uses less powder. I would like to know what the casing it is based off of before I made my final desision.
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 9:46:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 10:01:13 PM EDT
[#3]
If you can handle it go for it!
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 10:41:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm waiting for the 7MM version...in a Browning BAR or BLR.
Link Posted: 5/15/2001 3:29:09 AM EDT
[#5]
I believe it will surpase the Winny Mag. in popularity.  It's not belted so it will be easier to reload.  I'm waiting for the bugs to get worked out of a .300 WSM top end for my AR10.
Link Posted: 5/15/2001 9:30:31 AM EDT
[#6]
I am excited about it.  I hope Remington will chamber it in their 700.  But first I need to save up for my first AR
Link Posted: 5/15/2001 9:32:49 AM EDT
[#7]
I would love to see Remington grow some balls in the near future and start to chamber the short-action 700's for it.  Count me in if they chamber the titanium 700 in .300 WSM.
Link Posted: 5/15/2001 10:01:11 AM EDT
[#8]
I don't think that this cartridge is going to 'die.' People are or are going to wildcat this cartridge like crazy and it is more of what people are looking for compared to other rounds such as the .300 RUM.  I would get the WSM, benefits of a short action with all the performance.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 5/15/2001 10:02:15 AM EDT
[#9]
The only disadvantage I see to the cartridge is that the SAAMI specs do not leave much room for the bullet, so some long sleek bullets will not be usable.  But the 300 Win Mag has the same issue, which has not hurt its popularity, and there are ways around the problem.

If the gun magazines have anything to do with it, the cartridge will be a wild success.  They gush about it regularly, and with good reason.  I have not read yet if the theoretical accuracy advantages are real, but it does sound like you do get less kick with the same velocity.

The waters might become somwhat muddied if Remington decides to come out with a similar cartridge, which I have heard is a possibility.  It has certainly happened before (243Win/6mmRem, 270Win/280Rem, 338Win/8mmRem, etc. etc.).  There being something else too similar, without any offsetting advantages, is what usually kills a caliber.  Hopefully Remington will come out with a 7mm version and not a 300 with a slightly different case.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top