Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/13/2001 12:09:04 PM EDT
Well folks summer is here and got me to thinking back to my child hood. I recall hanging out with the kids in the neighborhood. In our bikes and just trying to have fun. I grew up in Stockton, in the middle of SanJoaqin county CA. Very damn hot in the summer. I recall a few treats I use to enjoy quite a bit.

[i]First of all the homemade treats:[/i]

Mom use to take either orange juice, coke, or fruit punch. Stick it in the ice tray with tooth picks and make popsicles out of em.

Also recall having the water from inside the coconuts with ice. Ahhhh very refreshing.

Being Filipino, we had this drink called halo-halo. Basically a fruit drink in ice. very sweet. contained many different fruits.

[i]For store bought treats:[/i]

Dairy Queen's chocolate dipped vanilla ice cream.

Otter pops. I still love these things to this day.

Baskin Robbins banana splits. Vanilla, Chocolate and Strawberry Ice Cream. With hot fudge, pineapple toppings and strawberry toppings. Lots of whip cream and crushed peanuts. 3-4 marachino cherries.

Lets not forget PopRocks and coke.

Well I guess its time to break out the slip n slide. [:D]
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 12:32:25 PM EDT
[#1]
When I was a kid I remember when the ice truck would come around. If the guy had any ice left after filling the iceboxes in the neighborhood, he would sometimes make shave ice for us kids.
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 12:50:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, the Ice Cream truck coming around the neighborhood when I used to spend summers with my Grandmother and Aunt in Shreveport.

Also, there were some pretty good watermelon stands around Shreveport, where you could sit down and eat watermelon to your heart's content.
Only problem was being soooo sticky afterwards.

You could make pretty good ice tray popsicles with KoolAid and icetrays.[:D]

Eric The Hun
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 12:58:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Dairy Queen!!!  Going to the DQ on summer evenings with the sunroof open... ahh

Had to go for years without that because there were no DQ's in CA untill the mid 90's

AZ is filthy with them, hmmm that is a idea for tonight...
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 1:26:49 PM EDT
[#4]
How about frozen malts you ate with that weird little wooden spoon. mmmmm

I found a convience store that had them last summer. Had to have one about every week. [:D]

They quit carrying them in the middle of the winter. I am going to have to talk to the manager about this.
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 1:27:44 PM EDT
[#5]
I almost forgot. we use to freeze cherries and eat em half frozen with Cool Whip yummmyyyy
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 1:39:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Heck I always seem to date myself. As a kid growing up in the south I can remember the hand churned ice cream. My best memory is going to the drug store for a hand made cherry coke, and I mean hand made. It was a time before soft drinks came in cannisters with pressure hoses.

There was the homemade pecan pie with jugs of ice cold ice tea. Days seem to last forever.
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 4:00:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Imbrog|io:
When I was a kid I remember when the ice truck would come around. If the guy had any ice left after filling the iceboxes in the neighborhood, he would sometimes make shave ice for us kids.
View Quote

I remember having shaved ice at the San Joaqin county fair held at the fairgrounds as a kid. They use to make those rainbow flavored ones. Love them shaved ice cups. I liked going to the water gun shoot stand. Where you have a water pistol you shoot in the clowns mouth to inflate the baloon till it pops. Sometimes I would just turn around and shoot my dad or bro. Never mom though. She did not think that was funny at all. More likely to get smacked by mom for doing that. [:D]
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 6:15:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Sugar cane right out of the cane field.  My Grandfather was a retired foreman for Honolulu Sugar and he'd take us out to the cane field and cut one down.  One of those memories for life I suppose.

Ross
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 6:41:31 PM EDT
[#9]
ohhh.... wait.... you're talking about food and candy.... opps......

heh heh heh
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 6:57:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Sno Cones. Near about like shaved ice they have nowadays. Man, that takes me back.

OlDad
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 7:25:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Sour grass... also called wild sorrel around here.  It looks kind of like tall clover and when you chew on the stems it's really sour.  ::pucker face::

Okay.. so maybe I was one of the few weird kids that "grazed" the back yard... [:P]
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 7:42:51 PM EDT
[#12]
The local park had a food stand that was only open in summer they used to serve strips and salsa with cheese was very good also had great snow cones.
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 8:57:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Neopolitan ice cream sandwiches.
[heavy]
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 11:21:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Frozen Reeses Peanut Butter Cups at the RED&WHITE
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 11:34:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Dairy Queen.  I'll never forget asking my friend's mom if she'd take us to Dairy Queen for dipped-in-chocolate ice cream cones.  She said the only thing we deserved were dipped-in-shit ice cream cones.  We were 6 years old and cried out eyes out and she laughed.  What a bitch. My friend now full-grown has broken off all contact with her.  She was so mean.

Otter Pops.  I remember sneaking into a neighbor kid's garage with my brother and stealing all their Otter Pops out of their storage freezer.  We called it "Operation Otter Pop". What fun.  
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 12:17:49 AM EDT
[#16]
I remember the white Good Humor ice cream truck with a chocolate & nut covered ice cream bar on the door in Barstow, Calif.
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 12:48:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Getting a root beer float at the A&W Drive-In in Covina, CA. Those were the days. :)
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 1:04:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Getting a root beer float at the A&W Drive-In in Covina, CA. Those were the days. :)
View Quote

Hey we used to have an A&W Root Beer stand in Barstow.  The waitress would walk-up to you put a tray on your window, and say "what do you have?"  I have forgotten all about that.
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 1:16:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 9:19:29 AM EDT
[#20]
A&W floats. MMMMMM
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 9:23:43 AM EDT
[#21]
MD 20-20 or Boones Farm and a joint.  Those were the good old days.
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 9:45:14 AM EDT
[#22]
My Grandpa used to make homemade icecream with fresh fruits such as peaches and strawberries in it.  Man, I  miss that.
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 10:21:04 AM EDT
[#23]
I'm with lordtrader's ice-tray treats on this one.  This was a while after I was a kid, but it should still count...  The first person in the area to get an icebox was my older brother.  He poured RC cola in ice trays and put tooth-picks in them.  The tooth-picks were home-made, so you had to watch-out for spinters!  Those things tasted great!  It was really something new for us, especially considering that we lived in such a backwards place that we didn't have an icecream man or ice truck service until well after many of us had electricity and our own iceboxes.

When I was in the army, I had a chocolate malt in a bright shiny new diner in CA.  Man, that was amazing.  At the time, I didn't think anything could ever taste better than that.  Maybe, there still isn't...

I took three of my great-nephews out in Charlotte, NC for the day last weekend.  Two of them are 8, and the other one is 10.  Their idea of a good treat is a place called (something like) Marble Slab Ice Cream.  For three cones, it cost over $12!  Frozen treats have really come a long way, and cost as much as a meal.  I try not to spend more than $12 per WEEK for lunch at work.  They didn't see anything wrong at all with making me put-down that much so the three of them could have ice-cream.  At the current rate of advancement of frozen treats from simple frozen cola's that cost about a cent to the current $4 each foot-tall cone creations, what will people be eating for dessert 50 years from now?  That's an advancement of 400 fold in price.  If our ice cubes were 1" each dimension, then that would 1 cubic inch in volume.  Those cones were about 12" tall with a radius of 3", then that means they're (wild-guess) 113 cubic inches in volume.  The treats have grown by a factor of 113 in size.  If the current rate of growth continues, treats 50 years from now will cost $1,600 and be 12,768 cubic inches (7.4 cubic feet!) in size.  I love abusing statistics.  Gungrabbers shouldn't have all the fun.
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 10:43:27 AM EDT
[#24]
Mmmmmm...the Rosati's Italian Ice truck coming through the neighborhood just before dusk. All the kids had to be back on our street when the streetlights came on, and the truck would roll down while we were all jackin' around in each other's front yards catching lightning bugs and playing kick the can.

The lemon ice was white, with little bits of lemon skin in it. The cherry would stain your lips and tongue dark red until the next day. He also sold soft pretzels out of that truck, and I think you could buy a number, but that was for adults. All we wanted was the little handscooped cups of icy deliciousness and one of those cheesy flat wooden spoons.

FMCDH
Semper Fidelis
Jarhead out.
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 10:44:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Two Words:   [b] BOMB POPS!!!!![/b][beer]
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 10:50:14 AM EDT
[#26]
All I remember eating was the neighbor girl  - Now she was a treat!
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 2:31:04 PM EDT
[#27]
No school!
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 2:56:35 PM EDT
[#28]
My momma used to give us home-make lemonade bars on a stick.

Later we found out they were dog urine on a stick[:D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top