Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/12/2001 7:12:03 PM EDT
maybe you can help me my friends. everytime i go to the range, everyone is always shooting from the bench.  the guys that are sighting in, getting their bzo's or trying to figure something out, hey, thats cool, we need that bench, but i cant figure out guys who sit there and blast through god knows how many rnds from the bench!? am i and asshole, do i have some type of behavioral problem that  this insignificant actions that is harmless and lets those guys have fun, bothers me so much? am i missing something?  GET OFF THE BENCH GUYS, SHOOTING IS BETWEEN YOU AND THE WEAPON! see ya
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 7:22:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
am i and asshole, do i have some type of behavioral problem that  this insignificant actions that is harmless and lets those guys have fun, bothers me so much? am i missing something?  see ya
View Quote

1.maybe, but i twouldnt go that far

2.most likley

3. you must be
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 7:37:03 PM EDT
[#2]
SHOOTING IS BETWEEN YOU AND THE WEAPON!
View Quote

You're right Pompey. Well, as one of those guys usually on "the bench", the explanation is that I'm trying to get the most accurate powder/bullet mix.

But, again, you are right. If it's a kill, it's a kill, and who cares if it's one or two inches off of your aiming point?

Still, precision, precision sings her own siren song.

But, then again, taking your favorite ammo du jour (like the fancy language [;)] ] off the bench occasionally would be a good idea.

I'll have to try that again.

Thanks for reminder.
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 7:45:06 PM EDT
[#3]
dont need no stinking bench
God made the ground for riflemen to go prone.
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 7:46:44 PM EDT
[#4]
You can't change others, only yourself.  Seldom do I see shooters shooting anyway but off the bench, even close to hunting season.  I had three rifle out the other day, m1, m1a clone, and the mouse gun.  I only shot 12 rounds off the bench because I had scoped the m1a clone to check group size for two loads of left over match loads.  The other guys on the range were benched for all their shots.  The match director won't let me shoot off the bench during a match and I'll be dam*# if I'll pack a bench while hunting (have to carry my lunch instead!).  Don't get pissed, just smile at their foolishness.
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 8:31:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Whatever floats your boat!

If you like the bench, use it.  If you don't, then don't use it.

Personally, I shoot benched, sandbagged for 2-3 5-shot groups for whichever rifles I brought.  From then on, I go prone and sitting on the ground.

Jim
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 8:42:55 PM EDT
[#6]
I look at it as let them do what ever makes them happy. If they enjoy shooting off the bench let them they are not hurting me. Me on the other other than getting my shots on paper i do not see any other use for the bench. I see alot of hunters go sight there rifles in from the bench and never ever think of taking a free standing shot. I just wonder if they have a bench where they hunt. Then you here about the shot they miss becuase they stood up and shot. When I went deer hunting I took one deer from a sitting position and the other one at a standing position. The standing shot was at 75 yards. Practicing position shooting make me a better shooter and a hunter since I will beable to get the shot of from just about anywhere.

Please excuse the rant.

Six
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 8:47:43 PM EDT
[#7]
1/2MOA or less accuracy for 5 shots doesn't happen in a standing position.

Plus my "squirrel" rifle AR15 weighs in at 17 pounds and firing it from a standing position will give you more than an exercise in breathing and muscle fatigue not to mention you don't rapid fire the thing.

With my custom AR15 squirrel gun all shots are fired from either the bench, sitting, or prone.

But I do usually burn up a few rounds through one of the other AR15s before heading home, usually around 100-150 rounds from standing at targets from 150-300 yards just to stay in practice.   The majority of the rounds are from the bench though.
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 8:58:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Getting pissed at other shooters is a waste of time, unless they are doing something dangerous. Just have fun shooting the way you like to shoot and let everyone else do the same. The "why does anyone need to..." attitude just leads to bullshit restrictions at shooting ranges like "No rapid fire" or "No .50s on weekends" policies.
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 5:01:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 5:02:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I shoot almost exclusively off the bench..so bite me! can you put 3-5 rounds through the same hole at 100yrds..no? neither can I ..I'll let you know cause I keep trying![;)]
View Quote

Amen to that. The best I could do is only get two bullets in the same hold. I do keep trying though.
[:D]
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 5:34:21 AM EDT
[#11]
I shoot ALOT off the bench,  Hell a lot of people do.  Why does it piss you off?
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 5:49:44 AM EDT
[#12]
What happens on the bench comes down to us in the long run.  Bench guys fig. out the best bullet, powder weight, BBl. weight, twist rate ect. ect. We end up with the best "stuff" after they have figured it out.
These people love thier sport just as we do, and they support our shooting rights.  These guys strive for perfection, invent new rounds, (ie 6MM PPC) and add to our sport.
Every round and rifle started life out on the bench, thest guys just keep it going on.
Shadowjack1
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 8:05:08 PM EDT
[#13]
yeah, youre all right!  im not really pissed its just that i live in arizona and right now THIS HELLHOLE IS SO DAMN HOT IT MAKES MY MIND EXPLODE!!!!!  have fun at the range guys and if the shit ever hits the fan and we all wind up in some post man type world, tell me if your a bench shooter or a proney so i can know who to buddy up with.  doh!
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 8:36:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Before anyone gets pissed, Im not one of these people.  There are however a lot of people who do not agree with firearms used as weapons, they see them purely as a sporting tool.  Many of these people are into benchrest competition or they just like the boom.  Thats why alot of them own firearms with those pink, blue, yellow or whatever color stocks.  I think theyre idiots, but then again, they think I/we are idiots.  Thats what makes the USA great.  Everyone is an idiot in someones eyes, some of us just more than others.
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 12:00:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Alot of bench shooters are extreme accuracy fanatics[;D]. They don't care about tactical shooting, they're on a quest to put 5 rounds into one hole, Your probably not going to do that off the bench. Hell, it's better than golf.

It's a matter of different shooting disciplines, you do your thing and have fun, let them do thiers. Each to his own.
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 5:12:20 AM EDT
[#16]
For every serious accuracy buff who actually competes in benchrest matches, there are a dozen duffers who shoot off the bench because they can't hit squat from a field position.  

I like the challenge of shooting offhand, but to each his own.
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 8:59:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Can learn a lot from the Bench Rest guys. They might be a different kind of cookie, but then aren't we all?

Buddy who is a new rifle shooter, got into the BR thing, and now watch him shoot aspirin sized groups with a Colt 6700 (flattop 20" HBAR). His workshop is practically the entire Sinclair catalog. Never got to handle a $300 powder thrower before. . .

Check this mechanical engineering craziness: "Recommended primer crush is 2 thousandths. The primer pocket may vary 10- 1 thousandths."  Months ago, they came up with a dialed tool, that measures each pocket, the height of each primer, so can precisely crush for each cartridge. Yes, these guys are out there, but they're the only ones who can repeatedly hit the 1" swingers at 400yds.

Check out any local BR events. The vendors and shooters have been all too happy, to help us become way more accurate. Great fun!
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 9:21:17 AM EDT
[#18]
I have never shot from a bench, and probably never will. With my AR, I always shoot unsupported (no sand bags, etc - except for sighting in). Charlie aint gonna wait for me to set up a bench before he pops me a new asshole in the forehead. Even when I get my PSS, I will be shooting from the ground.

Train how you fight and you will fight how you train.

But thats me. I'm a Marine lifer, so I train for combat. Other shooters have different preferences.
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 9:30:28 AM EDT
[#19]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SHOOTING IS BETWEEN YOU AND THE WEAPON!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

now what depends is which way the weapon is held(barrel to the shooter or down the range)

Now i use a bench when i do serious accuracy
work or sighting in. then i offhand shoot mostly
then prone.
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 9:40:06 AM EDT
[#20]
early bird catches the worm (bench)
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 9:48:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Benchrest shooters will be utilized in fixed overwatch positions.
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 10:11:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 10:23:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Maybe you should "help" your brothers in arms out. Hand one of them bench guys an AR and letum chase plastic bottles standing off hand at 100. It's a kick in the ass with an iron sighted rifle :)

Save up being pissed for the antis!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top